cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I shipped a $400 doll I sold thru ebay to China they didn't receive it now ebay has taken the money

So this is another example of ebay taking buyers side only, no seller support. I sold an expensive doll and shipped it 1st class International to China. Since they didn't want to pay for priority and the global shipping didn't apply not sure why. Anyway the address was all in chinese which is unusual and the buyer is a begginer with no feedback. My mistake but anyway it got to Beijing china on Nov. 25 and no updates since then. So ebay took the money from my acct and refunded the buyer and now I am screwed with no doll or money. I told the buyer to contact their local post office and I called usps and they said they can't do anything since it is now in China. I am so depressed now with a negative paypal no job and no doll. What shoudl I do, is there any place on ebay to contact for seller support?

Message 1 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

I shipped a $400 doll I sold thru ebay to China they didn't receive it now ebay has taken the money

Never let a buyer dictate how you will ship.

Always use online tracking. 

It s your only proof against INR.

Only sell to countries that allow it.

Message 2 of 53
latest reply

Sadly, there's probably nothing that can be done. Shipping international is risky at best. You can try to contact CS and ask for an American rep. Not sure that'll help but at least it's a chance.

Message 3 of 53
latest reply

Sadly there is nothing you can do.  Ebay and PAYPAL both require online viewable tracking which shows the item delivered.  The list of E-Delcon countries does not include China and even priority mail doesn't provide that service.

Be prepared to refund because without delivery you have no choice.

Joe

Message 4 of 53
latest reply

@tellmemama wrote:

Sadly there is nothing you can do.  Ebay and PAYPAL both require online viewable tracking which shows the item delivered.  The list of E-Delcon countries does not include China and even priority mail doesn't provide that service.

Be prepared to refund because without delivery you have no choice.

OP said ebay already took the money and now her paypal account is negative.

And that is another mistake inexperienced sellers make.

You really cannot consider the money yours for up to 6 months, so you need to keep a balance in paypal equal to your sales in case they all go south.

Message 5 of 53
latest reply

Sorry this happened to you, OP, wish there was something that could be done.

As has been said, you needed to send that so you were protected with online viewable tracking for proof of delivery.  Sorry you did not know this.

E-Delcon.  IF E-Delcon does not deliver to a country, then you should not ship there.  

If you have questions on how to protect yourself, you can ask on this Board as you just did, before you act.

Message 6 of 53
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

You really cannot consider the money yours for up to 6 months, so you need to keep a balance in paypal equal to your sales in case they all go south.

OP, though, isn't an inexperienced seller. She's been a member since 2009 and has 670 feedback as a seller.

Message 7 of 53
latest reply

Possibly OP  has not sold internationally before, or else was fortunate those transactions went smoothly.

Message 8 of 53
latest reply

@takikawa4 wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

OP, though, isn't an inexperienced seller. She's been a member since 2009 and has 670 feedback as a seller.

No, I realize that in this case the OP needed the money to pay bills.

But I was trying to be diplomatic.

Message 9 of 53
latest reply

@wifetrained wrote:

Sadly, there's probably nothing that can be done. Shipping international is risky at best. You can try to contact CS and ask for an American rep. Not sure that'll help but at least it's a chance.

OP has no proof of delivery so what good would calling customer service do? She doesn't qualify for seller protection.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 10 of 53
latest reply

@jamjam.310 wrote:

So this is another example of ebay taking buyers side only, no seller support. I sold an expensive doll and shipped it 1st class International to China. 

OP, with respect, i dont think you can hang this one on ebay. You took a serious chance sending an expensive item overseas without any basic precautions. No insurance, no tracking, no signature confirmation, nothing to protect your own interests.

It is up to each seller to manage the risks of ecommerce. Ebay cannot do that for us, and even the few tools they do give us to fight scamming were not utilized in this case. But I’m very sorry this happened to you, and wish you better times ahead.

Message 11 of 53
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

I wouldn't advise keeping large sums of money in a Paypal account...

https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-does-the-fdic-protect-paypal-faq3589

Keeping those funds in a bank account linked to the Paypal account would be much more secure.

Message 12 of 53
latest reply

They are probably making copies of it to sell as we type.

@emerald40 wrote:

OP said ebay already took the money and now her paypal account is negative.

All due respect, I would never do this.  PayPal is not a bank. You don't have any real protection against PayPal "holding" your funds for a whole pile of reasons.  There have been stories of people whose funds have been tied up for months with no real way to get PayPal to release the funds.

I leave a small balance in my PayPal account - sweep the overage out to a linked bank account each day, then transfer that money into yet another account so that they can't dip into the linked account to make my negative PayPal account whole.

Message 14 of 53
latest reply

So this is another example of ebay taking buyers side only, no seller support.

No, it is another case of a seller wanting protection even though they did not follow the rules for receiving protection.

There is Seller Protection for Item Not Received claims, but only if you follow the Seller Protection requirements.

One of those requirements is online viewable delivery confirmation, which First Class International does not provide.

Shipped it 1st class International to China since they didn't want to pay for priority

Your problem has nothing to do with what the buyer chose to pay for. It has to do with what you chose to offer the buyer. And you chose to offer an option that gave you no protection.

My mistake

Yes it was a mistake. You chose to leave yourself without protection from an INR. That is not eBay's fault, and it is not your buyer's fault. 

Message 15 of 53
latest reply