cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm done with Ebay. Done selling. Never again.

Sold a machine on ebay for $1200.00..cost me $222.00 to sell it.

Rediculous.

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Re: I'm done with Ebay. Done selling. Never again.

You rarely see reserves used anymore.  Seller don't like them as they can be expensive, so they start the listing at the price they are willing to accept.  Buyers don't like that, many feel the seller is playing games with them, and there are those who won't bid on something with a reserve.

Years ago, the reserve used to be two dollars.  That was a long time ago.  They do show you approximate costs before sending the listing live, though.

Message 16 of 42
latest reply

You need to use your mathematical brain to list something like that.

As they described it, you would've had a better income if you didn't use the reserve feature. 

And, tasting the waters, Me? I would have started at whatever price I felt comfortable with and let it run. 

So, your bill reflects the use of unnecessary features. Reserve price being one of them. 

latest reply

I know that..now.

$90.00 to have a reserve price on it? Bullcrap charge.

Message 18 of 42
latest reply

As many have pointed out, why the reserve price? Your starting price being the lowest bid you will accept to sell is and should be your reserve. If it does not sell, just relist it. 

Message 19 of 42
latest reply

The problem is that way too many sellers whine about the fees but ignore the money they now have for the item they no longer wanted/needed.  Yep 10% (plus reserve costs) are a big number when the final sale was a big number but you would so totally NOT enjoy the 25% charged on other sites.

Message 20 of 42
latest reply

He did not want to pay more than a nickel maybe a dime tops----DARN EBAY
Message 21 of 42
latest reply

I'm sorry you were unaware of what the selling fees for what you chose would be.  They do give you an idea of what to expect before you send the listing live, but you may have missed that.  It's understandably upsetting when you feel you have been blindsided like that, but you are not the first one to come to this Board like this, and you won't be the last.

I know that won't make you feel better or upset the loss of your money, but it's just something that happens.  

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4364

Message 22 of 42
latest reply

Again..you are right. I had no idea.  However, f ebay.  90 dollars is robbery.

Message 23 of 42
latest reply

@bts6t05 wrote:

How it robbery when YOU chose the option?

You're to blame. Ebay didn't sneak it into your listing.

Time to take some personal responsibility for YOUR choice.

Message 24 of 42
latest reply

@a*river*runs*through*it wrote:

@bts6t05 wrote:

How it robbery when YOU chose the option?

You're to blame. Ebay didn't sneak it into your listing.

Time to take some personal responsibility for YOUR choice.

I would say he believes it is robbery in the sense that he thinks the fee is too high, but you are right...it was his choice.  Choosing the reserve without checking how much that reserve would cost caused this.

It's kind of like ordering a pizza.  Suppose a basic pizza is $7.00 but each additional topping is $1.00.  They have 40 toppings, for argument's sake.  You order a pizza with everything on it, and are shocked to find almost fifty dollars is expected because you didn't take the extra topping fees into consideration.

Message 25 of 42
latest reply

That's like looking at the menu, ordering the filet mignon, eating it, then complaining that it cost $90.  That's robbery for a piece of meat!

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 26 of 42
latest reply

This is why you don't sell a high end very expensive item right out of the gate as a new seller.  You sell a few small items first to learn how it is all done THEN you bring out the big guns.  Believe me when I say that given the high cost, it could so easily have gone much much worse and you could be out significantly much more money if your buyer had been a scammer or you didn't follow all the rules to protect yourself as a seller.

Message 27 of 42
latest reply

@rixstuff wrote:

This is why you don't sell a high end very expensive item right out of the gate as a new seller.  You sell a few small items first to learn how it is all done THEN you bring out the big guns.  Believe me when I say that given the high cost, it could so easily have gone much much worse and you could be out significantly much more money if your buyer had been a scammer or you didn't follow all the rules to protect yourself as a seller.

True, but has the 180 days past yet? 

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 28 of 42
latest reply

@loveyourimagination49 wrote:

@rixstuff wrote:

True, but has the 180 days past yet? 

Uh oh.  I see what you mean here.  It's not over yet.

Message 29 of 42
latest reply

Just checked completeds.  The thirty days Ebay allows for a case has not expired, either.  So both clocks, eBay and PP,  are still running on this.

Not wishing the OP any bad luck; hopefully there will be no further issues.

Message 30 of 42
latest reply