cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I know eBay doesn't care about losing a seller, but as a buyer I've had it.

I just don't spend the time trying to navigate the site. A site that makes no sense, isn't the least bit intuitive.....

I am a collector and look regularly at the same basic stuff. I want to see the newest stuff. eBay thinks I want best match.

I get a couple searches, a couple pages in and suddenly I'm back at best match.

If I want to get an idea of what something is worth or want to see if someone gave up listing what I need, I used to be able to see closed listings. Now they send me to an active listing telling me this is what I want? I bought 7 Fostoria June goblets and was looking for 1 more. None listed solo, so I click on the completed. Find one listed solo and click on that. It sends me to a set of glasses in a completely different pattern?

I need a paint. I find it, but click on the listing. It's a multi item listing and that option is sold out. So why was I sent to this one?

vintage wallpaper returns nothing but page after page of China garbage. If I go in and check off US only, it is still page after page of China.

My biggest request, and the one that might get me to buy a bit more would be to allow me, when signed in, to set my parameters and have them stay there. I want US only, recently listed. I do not want it to reset to "best match"

How is it that in the name of making eBay more intuitive, they make it less, and leave it there?

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: I know eBay doesn't care about losing a seller, but as a buyer I've had it.

Have you been following the latest threads.

Having problems finding something you are looking for - well maybe it is because of entitled sellers who feel they can do as they please.

If you are a buyer searching for a particular item, and unrelated items come up because sellers are using brand names for non brand items, do you think many will sit there and try to think of a bunch of words like same as, fits, similar to, compares to, looks like, etc. etc. etc. that they c

an put in their filter.

As a buyer who has purchased a lot over the years, I too am losing patience having to scroll past all the items that do not belong there.

No, they go to a better run site and the honest seller loses a sale.

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

@jason_incognito wrote:

I just don't spend the time trying to navigate the site. A site that makes no sense, isn't the least bit intuitive..... < yep... some 'improvements' to make an ebay 'experience' one you want to return to... NOT 

Even worse if your based Internationally and want to see US or UK or German listings come up.

That can mean changing you delivery address and site logged into now.

I am a collector and look regularly at the same basic stuff. I want to see the newest stuff. eBay thinks I want best match. < yep... same here.  i've tried to make the 'newest listed' stick as a defult, but it goes back to the same useless 'best match' time waster setting.

If I want to get an idea of what something is worth or want to see if someone gave up listing what I need, I used to be able to see closed listings. Now they send me to an active listing telling me this is what I want? I bought 7 Fostoria June goblets and was looking for 1 more. None listed solo, so I click on the completed. Find one listed solo and click on that. It sends me to a set of glasses in a completely different pattern? < OK, there is a work around or at least another clickstep to take to get there, so we have had to find out.  

You do your term search and select 'completed listings' filter. You click on a listing and maybe you get that blue banner with 'This item sold, p-off... buy this instead..' [word to that effect] and then a random current listing way off target. Now,the word 'item' or perhaps 'listing' is an active link that goes to your intended target.  The banner at top is now orange colour. 

This may help.   Yes, a proper pain in the..ebay for your personalised 'experience'.

I need a paint. I find it, but click on the listing. It's a multi item listing and that option is sold out. So why was I sent to this one? < yep... stupid.

vintage wallpaper returns nothing but page after page of China garbage. If I go in and check off US only, it is still page after page of China. < yep... time wasting. Maybe key word NOS may help - New Old Stock.  Maybe apply search filter to cull out the frequently listing China pest sellers. 

My biggest request, and the one that might get me to buy a bit more would be to allow me, when signed in, to set my parameters and have them stay there. I want US only, recently listed. I do not want it to reset to "best match" < as above, buggered if I can get it to stick there.

How is it that in the name of making eBay more intuitive, they make it less, and leave it there?

Heard of the saying.. As silly as a two bob watch?

Sorry, and much empathy for you. This is becoming very tiring 'experience'.

Your not alone in suffering frustration and dismay.

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

I'd also love to be able to filter out certain sellers that regularly spam categories that I search.

Give me a blocked seller list.

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 4 of 32
latest reply

We already have a blocked seller list.

And I think ebay finally listened and made it even bigger to accommodate more names.

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

where is it?

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

eBay is a joke and there forcing good sellers to walk away .They don't care there keeping up with amazon which slowly gets worse also. You get what you pay for but I will say this eBay reps are liars and THEIVES. I do only auctions now once the item ends, not sold, I can do a sale not pay fees. eBay is glorified advertising nothing more and the best part is your not violating there policy 

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote: 

As a buyer who has purchased a lot over the years, I too am losing patience having to scroll past all the items that do not belong

Searching for items to purchase on ebay has become very time consuming, if you do find what you have been searching for among the manny unrelated items that you are being shown, consider yourself as successful.

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

Or lucky.

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

The experiences I've been getting lately - it ALL ebay's fault I can't find anything.  Not sellers spamming.

I did a basic search for a common piece of clothing highest first and ebay only showed me 999 of them and I knew that there were almost 10 times that number and a few listings that were priced higher that the top ones that ebay showed.  ebay showed a best match of a limited number - which did not show me what I was looking for.

Last night I did a search for a clothing company that was popular in the late 60s that I had just picked up an item of.  I imputted the name and item and ebay ignored the one word that would bring up a limited number of results and showed me a few hundred of everything else.  After a load of tweaking all of it in all categories, I finally put in VINTAGE item with the one word in the company name ebay seemed to obsess on and ebay showed me around 150 items and every single one was NEW With Tags or New Without Tags and no used or vintage ones. 

There should be thousands of used and vintage ones - but ebay ONLY was showing me new items and most from China.  No matter what I did to get search to show me otherwise.  Plus, even though there is a vintage subcategory in the Clothing category - ebay did not include it in the left hand search bar.  Nor could I see used there as a search option.  ebay wanted me to see the new stuff and nothing more.

Most of the problems in search are ebay created - even if they are allowing sellers to spam, if a buyer who is really trying to find something on ebay and can't -the fault can be laid on ebay.

(*Bleep*)
Message 10 of 32
latest reply

Every time I have a Haweater token for sale, I go and search Haweater to see what they are selling for. (They are scarce, there's only a few, but there is a few listed, even if they are my sold listings).

eBay changes Haweater to "heater". I repeat, Haweater. Nope, you want a heater. Here's a list of heaters to choose from. 

How is seeing a sold listing for a heater going to help me list a 40 year old trade dollar token?

Cheers, C.

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

yep, ebay search engine is terrible

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

eBay programmers are "like really smart." They have "the best memory." At least, "that's what people are saying."

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

hehehehe..... and they get a pay check whether things sell or not
Message 14 of 32
latest reply

I would love an explanation for why this was returned when I searched "Vera Wang Classic"

item # 113037980623

Vera Wang Classic is the name of a pattern of crystal we registered for when we got married. Why do they think I want something a prostitute would wear?

Message 15 of 32
latest reply