cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'd like clarification on eBay's listing photo policy.

I had a seller intentionally rip off my listing photos.   I took the photos myself and even have the original PSD files where I edited the photos in post.     

I understand eBay's current policy that the photos can be used globally by other sellers once they're in eBay's product catalog and that there is an waiver of ip rights given to these lazy, copycat sellers, but legally I do still own the ip rights to these photos under intellectual property law that I created personally with my time and effort, even though eBay's Agreement says that I gave permission to their customers and sellers to use them.       

So what exactly does eBay mean by, "You may contact the seller and ask them to remove your image or text if it is not part of the eBay product catalog."    Does  that mean if I remove my listing and images entirely, they are no longer a part of the product catalog and I can request that the seller take them down?    

What should I do if my image, video or text is being used by another seller?

When you create listings you give eBay and its customers permission, through our user agreement, to use your images, videos and product details. Your content may be added to the eBay product catalog, and may be used by other sellers in their eBay listings.

You may contact the seller and ask them to remove your image or text if it is not part of the eBay product catalog.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

I've always seen it as if it's in the catalogue anyone can use it. If it isn't they are not supposed to but eBay will no longer do anything about it.

It's not good if it's a used item as the picture obviously isn't the item being sold. I've noticed a few of my own pictures being used by TRS sellers. And frankly I thought good luck to them. As my items were like new while their descriptions were well used and scratched. I hope they got all the INAD returns they deserved.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

I've always seen it as if it's in the catalogue anyone can use it.

^^

This.  Unless you have a copyright stamped on the photo anyone can use it.  I often take someone's photo and use it in my listing - ALONG with my "real picture."  Because the other photo is probably BETTER imaging than mine.  I have terrible lighting in the house.

Also I take stock photos and mark it "stock" so that the buyer knows it's not the "real" photo, but I also include the "real" photo with it.

If you don't want someone to take your photos, put your company name on it.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply