cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot find my prefered chairty. Help please.

I am selling off a bunch of items from an estate of a loved one.  Their wish was that the money from their belongs go to their preferred charity.  I am volunteering my time to list and sell these items on eBay.  100% of the proceeds are to go to the designated charity.

The charity in question is small but has a 60 years history and is well established.  I have contacted them and they are registered with Paypal Giving Fund and I have viewed their Paypal Giving Profile page.  However, when I search for this charity on eBay, it does not come up.  I have even tried searching with their EIN number. 

When I go to the " Let’s see if your charity is already on eBay" and do a search using their EIN, it says, "It looks like you are not enrolled yet."  But when I read the steps to get enrolled, it just says that the Charity has to enroll in the PayPal Giving Fund. which of course, they already are.

I have searched and searched but can find no help anywhere.  Some please help me.  It should not be this hard to do something good in this world. 

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@a_texas_man wrote:

@friskya 

So, if you kindly point me to the exact page where it says, "Sign up here to be a Charity on eBay," or something similar, I will be glad to pass that information along to the charity.

@a_texas_man Your problem is, you're too focused on eBays requirements and not focused enough on PayPals instructions. This PDF from PayPal™ explains. The screen cap is from page 16 and as you can see, the charity does need an eBay account.

https://www.paypalobjects.com/digitalassets/c/EMEA/landing_page/core-pages/ppgf-webpages/Paypal_Givi...

Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 1.32.35 PM.jpg

If you have never owned a dachshund, no explanation is possible.
If you have owned a dachshund, no explanation is necessary.
(with apologies to St. Thomas Aquinas)

View Best Answer in original post

Message 33 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

@a_texas_man 

When you put the Charity in the search box in this link, you are saying it comes up?

eBay for Charity

1. SELECT CHARITY

How do I add charity to my listings?
  • In the listing flow, select the option to “Donate a portion to Charity”
  • Select a charity* from the list of options or search for a different charity
  • Select the percentage you would like to donate to charity
  • You can verify the charity and donation percentage on your item by checking the information included in the item description

*The charity you select will be notified of your listing according to its account preferences and has the right to request an item cancellation if it prefers not to benefit from your listing.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 2 of 39
latest reply

No. The charity is not listed at all.  I can not find it using the name or the EIN. 

Message 3 of 39
latest reply

Then they are not currently part of Paypal Giving Fund.  You can only select from the list that is available in that search is my understanding.

I would call them to see how best to proceed:

please reach out to our customer service team at 866-305-3229 in the US

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Message 4 of 39
latest reply

Humm...?  Maybe I am not reading my own writing right.  I believe I said that they are part of the PayPal Giving Fund twice in the OP.  I guess you did not read that or you are calling me a liar. Call me strange, but I get offended when people call me a liar, and I don't understand why people would do that to someone seeking help. 

Message 5 of 39
latest reply

@a_texas_man wrote:

Humm...?  Maybe I am not reading my own writing right.  I believe I said that they are part of the PayPal Giving Fund twice in the OP.  I guess you did not read that or you are calling me a liar. Call me strange, but I get offended when people call me a liar, and I don't understand why people would do

No one call you a Liar.  I am just stating the facts and I have linked you the e-Bay Charity section as well.

If you put the Charity in the search box and it does not come up, then they are not available for you to Select to use Paypal Giving Fund.  I have no idea why - you have not disclosed who the Charity is.

I even gave you the phone number and suggested you give them a call tomorrow to determine how best to proceed.

Posting ID Only.......
Message 6 of 39
latest reply

"I guess you did not read that or you are calling me a liar. Call me strange, but I get offended when people call me a liar, and I don't understand why people would do that to someone seeking help. "

Nice response after someone took the time to look for your charity and reported back to you with a contact number where you can possibly get help.

Just write the charity a check for 30% or however much you want to donate after you spend five years trying to sell everything on-line.  I just saved you five years of grief and trying to figure out how to file your taxes when they are comingled with a charity sale.  I lost four relatives in 2017 and am still unpacking boxes in 2021.  Direct donation is faster and more efficient that selling on-line.

Message 7 of 39
latest reply

Listen.  I appreciate help when it is offered.  Someone failing to read and understand what I wrote, or indicate that I am either lying or that I don't know what I am talking about is not helping me, and I do no appreciate it.  I could not have been  more clear in my OP on this point.

"The charity in question is small but has a 60 years history and is well established.  I have contacted them and they are registered with Paypal Giving Fund and I have viewed their Paypal Giving Profile page.  However, when I search for this charity on eBay, it does not come up.  I have even tried searching with their EIN number. 

When I go to the " Let’s see if your charity is already on eBay" and do a search using their EIN, it says, "It looks like you are not enrolled yet."  But when I read the steps to get enrolled, it just says that the Charity has to enroll in the PayPal Giving Fund. which of course, they already are."

When a person reads what was written above and then goes on to say,

"Then they are not currently part of Paypal Giving Fund."  

How can that statement be received positively by any rational human being after I have stated over and over that the organization IS enrolled in the Paypal Giving Fund?   It was a totally rude, offensive, and uncalled-for statement. 

I am not the rude person here.  I am calling out the rude person.  Maybe they did not intend to be rude.  Maybe they did not read my OP closely enough to catch the three blatant times I stated this. But regardless of what their intent was, it was very rude.  

Message 8 of 39
latest reply

Your charity is evidently not currently participating in the Paypal Giving Fund if a search of either the name or variant of the name does not draw a match.  They may choose to use Paypal, but not allow e-bay listings to do so.  A quick search of "save the whales" drew over 50 possible choices, so the search feature appears to be working just fine.

Perhaps your search is inaccurate with a mis-spelling of some sort.  Impossible for us to know, as the Charity in question is not known from your OP.

I assure you I can read.  And I have been selling here a very long time and I have utilized Charity listings previously, so I do know how they work.  

Those of us who post here to assist, do so as volunteers.  It is preferable that you do not lash out at those who kindly take the time to post to assist others.

As suggested previously UP thread, I would call the phone number from the e-Bay Charity link that was shared for Paypal Giving Fund and inquire further.  It is 1:43 AM EST - it is highly doubtful there will be anyone there currently to take your call at this time.  

Posting ID Only.......
Message 9 of 39
latest reply

"If you put the Charity in the search box and it does not come up, then they are not available for you to Select to use Paypal Giving Fund.  I have no idea why"

This is the more appropriate response.  If you would have said this in this first place, instead of completely and directly contradicting my crystal clear multiple statements that the charity is enrolled in the PP Giving Fund and that I had verified this by viewing their PP Giving Fund Profile Page, it would have been much better. I don't think you intended to call me a liar, but you actually did.  Maybe next time, choose your words more carefully so you do not say things that can be misunderstood. 

Did you edit your response and add the number to call at a later time?  I do not remember it being there originally.  However, I do appreciate you including it.  I was hoping to avoid dealing with the dreaded eBay call center.  I have never gotten help from them before and have found it to be an exercise in futility to talk to them. 

Message 10 of 39
latest reply

In case you were curious, or you don't believe me.

https://www.paypal.com/us/fundraiser/charity/2160553

Message 11 of 39
latest reply

That phone number is not for e-Bay.  It is for the Paypal Giving Fund to contact them direct.  If you read what is in the attached link, you can see for yourself that I cut and pasted it for your convenience.

You only have a couple of minutes to edit a post - in order to cut and paste from multiple sections, you often have to do it.  It is not some nefarious scheme regarding the information shown.  It tells you I posted and 2 min later edited that post.  It was done to add the text from the e-Bay Charity link and phone number for quick reference on the thread itself.  

Since you accused me of not reading, which is "rude", I will refrain from pointing out that possibly the issue all along in this thread has nothing to do with my responses, but perhaps needing to take the time to read the information on the link that was given to you and the posts in entirety before replying?

Posting ID Only.......
Message 12 of 39
latest reply

From the Paypal Giving Fund FAQs:

My charity listing was removed. Why?

There are many reasons that a listing might be removed -- see the original email you were sent or contact customer service to find out why. There are two charity-specific reasons that typically apply:

• The charity may ask eBay to remove an item listed on their behalf
  • The charity's account has been closed by the PayPal Giving Fund

The above is what prompted me to cut and paste the phone number for you to call tomorrow.  I do not work for the Paypal Giving Fund and the fact that you cannot select the entity you wish, will need to be something only they can answer for you.

Posting ID Only.......
Message 13 of 39
latest reply

For whatever it may be worth to you, @a_texas_man, being registered with PayPal™ Giving Fund does not automatically register a charity with eBay for Charity. That's a completely separate request that the charity has to submit directly to eBay. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/donating-ebay-charity/default/buying-selling-ebay-benefit-nonprofit-organi...

https://www.ebayforcharity.org/get-involved/benefit-from-community-donations/

Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 7.40.49 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2021-09-14 at 7.43.15 AM.jpg

If you have never owned a dachshund, no explanation is possible.
If you have owned a dachshund, no explanation is necessary.
(with apologies to St. Thomas Aquinas)
Message 14 of 39
latest reply

I have no advice on connecting with your chosen charity, but would advise you to make sure you have your ducks in a row regarding taxes. Starting soon you will be getting a 1099-K for sales over $600 cumulatively. Make sure you do not wind up paying out of pocket for your good deeds.

Message 15 of 39
latest reply