cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot find my prefered chairty. Help please.

I am selling off a bunch of items from an estate of a loved one.  Their wish was that the money from their belongs go to their preferred charity.  I am volunteering my time to list and sell these items on eBay.  100% of the proceeds are to go to the designated charity.

The charity in question is small but has a 60 years history and is well established.  I have contacted them and they are registered with Paypal Giving Fund and I have viewed their Paypal Giving Profile page.  However, when I search for this charity on eBay, it does not come up.  I have even tried searching with their EIN number. 

When I go to the " Let’s see if your charity is already on eBay" and do a search using their EIN, it says, "It looks like you are not enrolled yet."  But when I read the steps to get enrolled, it just says that the Charity has to enroll in the PayPal Giving Fund. which of course, they already are.

I have searched and searched but can find no help anywhere.  Some please help me.  It should not be this hard to do something good in this world. 

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: I cannot find my prefered chairty. Help please.

Agreed and understood.  But OP will not take our word for anything.  OP should call so they can relay to OP, 1st hand.  

And I am a Longhorn, graduate of UT-D.  Every true Texan I ever met (most are transplants) never treated others this way.  Not a "texas" thang, for sure.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 31 of 39
latest reply

Hmm an interesting read on all of this:

So questions for you:

How did you contact this "Charity"??

What is the name of this "Charity" ?

There should be no problem stating what it is...

Message 32 of 39
latest reply

@a_texas_man wrote:

@friskya 

So, if you kindly point me to the exact page where it says, "Sign up here to be a Charity on eBay," or something similar, I will be glad to pass that information along to the charity.

@a_texas_man Your problem is, you're too focused on eBays requirements and not focused enough on PayPals instructions. This PDF from PayPal™ explains. The screen cap is from page 16 and as you can see, the charity does need an eBay account.

https://www.paypalobjects.com/digitalassets/c/EMEA/landing_page/core-pages/ppgf-webpages/Paypal_Givi...

Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 1.32.35 PM.jpg

If you have never owned a dachshund, no explanation is possible.
If you have owned a dachshund, no explanation is necessary.
(with apologies to St. Thomas Aquinas)
Message 33 of 39
latest reply

(and before someone asks, paypalobjects.com is where PayPal™ hosts all of their online PDF files)

Message 34 of 39
latest reply

@katzrul15 

"Was given the phone number to call Paypal Giving Fund but evidently refuses to call to work to resolve?

The PP giving Fund is not the issue.  The charity is registered and in good status with PP.  I have posted a link to their Giving Fund profile page already but will be glad to post it again.  What good would it do to call PP about a problem that does not exist on their side?  Think about that for a second.

The issue is on Ebay's side.  Ebay is not listing the charity that is already in the PP Giving Fund.  That is the problem.  

Additionally, I do not work for the chairty.  So me calling PP about a chairty that I have no authority to speak for would result in them refusing to talk to me.  

Take a step back and let these things sink in a little and I am sure that you will eventually come to the right understanding with time. 

Message 35 of 39
latest reply

@donsdetour wrote:

Hmm an interesting read on all of this:

So questions for you:

How did you contact this "Charity"??

What is the name of this "Charity" ?

There should be no problem stating what it is...

I assume  (maybe a big assumption) the link in Msg 11 is to the charity in question, and the link is to Goff Ministries in Lubbock, TX.

=

Message 36 of 39
latest reply

@a_texas_man wrote:

@katzrul15 

The issue is on Ebay's side.  Ebay is not listing the charity that is already in the PP Giving Fund.  That is the problem.  

Because the charity also has to request participation in the eBay for Charities program. PayPal™ can't just arbitrarily add them to another website without their permission.

@a_texas_man wrote:

@katzrul15 

Additionally, I do not work for the chairty.  So me calling PP about a chairty that I have no authority to speak for would result in them refusing to talk to me.  

Which is why you need to explain to the charity what you would like to accomplish and ask them if they would be willing to enroll on eBay so that it becomes possible to do so. The CHARITY has to request participation - PayPal™ can't do it for them.

Message 37 of 39
latest reply

Hi everyone,

This thread is getting a bit heated and off-topic. Please remember that, while it is fine to disagree with others, discussion should always remain courteous, respectful and on topic.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Message 38 of 39
latest reply

@friskya 

Your last post solved the issue.  Thank you. 

This issue turns out to be a technical one dealing with IRS classifications.  It is neither a problem that eBay or PP can solve. It has to do with the EIN number of the Non-profit.  I do not fully understand it, but it has something to do with the way the Non-profit was originally formed decades ago.  Anyway, it way too complicated to deal with for the few hundred dollars that would result from this venture.

I do appreciate your patience in dealing with me.  I sincerely do.  I would like to buy you a drink.  PM me and I will PP you a gift to go get a nice tall one.  You need it after dealing with grumpy ol' me. 

Message 39 of 39
latest reply