cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Sincerely Despise This Platform as a Seller

Yesterday, I listed a lot of old Pokemon cards which were purchased less than 2 hours later. The buyer then began to bombard me with messages asking questions about the listing (questions which were all answered in the description) and requesting additional photos after I had already packed them all up in the shipping box. I acquiesced, sent him more photos and answered all his questions, but he just kept going and going. I spent the entirety of Memorial Day trying to satisfy this customer. He eventually requested that I ship the most valuable cards in special sleeves that I don't possess, in an attempt to change the terms of the transaction AFTER the point of sale (again, the listing clearly stated how all the cards would be packaged and shipped).

I then noticed the seller was in a different country (Australia), and I do not ship internationally. He circumvented this by using a 3rd party shipper with a U.S. address. This, along with him waiting to ask questions and make requests AFTER the point of sale, made me very suspicious, and after consulting eBay's own policy, which clearly states that if a buyer attempts to change the terms of a transaction after the point of sale the seller has every right to cancel a transaction, I did just that. I relisted the item, and it was purchased again soon afterwards (more on that below).

The original purchaser left negative feedback on my account regarding the cancelled sale. That is extremely unfair. I did put in a request to have the buyer's negative feedback removed and outlined precisely what I've typed here, but within 30 minutes the request had been denied, despite the fact the buyer literally admits in his negative feedback that he waited until AFTER the purchase to ask any questions or make any requests, and despite the fact that his correspondence proves he attempted to change the terms of the transaction after the point of sale. This has really upset me, because I take pride in my reputation on this platform.

As stated above, I relisted the lot in question, and within hours I had received two messages about it...from Australians on low-feedback accounts. My store is very, very small and receives very, very little traffic, and it seems very suspicious that I would receive multiple inquires from the same foreign country on the same day regarding the same item that had just been relisted. Furthermore, it turns out the eventual buyer...wait for it...is an Australian using a 3rd party shipper with a U.S. address. I immediately messaged the buyer and flat-out asked if he was the same person on a sockpuppet account, and he said no, so I have to give him the benefit of the doubt and ship his purchase. I've done everything properly on my end from the start, yet here I am with a duly unjust negative feedback hit and a sneaking suspicion that I'm being scammed by a sociopath. It was crystal clear the original buyer was never going to be satisfied with the transaction no matter what I said or did or how many hoops I jumped through, and I cannot help but worry that the 2nd buyer is the same individual on another account planning to hit me with a 2nd negative feedback on the same box of merchandise. It really sucks that I don't have any further recourse here, and I'm seriously considering moving my business to a platform that actually looks out for its sellers, and does not turn a blind eye to manipulative and downright crooked buyers.

Message 1 of 114
latest reply
113 REPLIES 113

Re: I Sincerely Despise This Platform as a Seller

Did you send it with signature required & insured for the full amount?   Also... just an aside.... I once got sorta screwed sending a sale to Australia, but it took weeks to get there because the individual lived out in the wilds.  If they already put in a return request before even receiving it in Australia, they may time out on the return window.... if they do, the case will be closed in your favor... Hopefully this works out for the best.   Don't get frustrated, ride this thing out, and stay in contact with customer service every step of the way.  You come off really closed minded and hostile in this thread, I hope you can relax some before talking to customer service.  Remember, you always attract more flies with honey, than with vinegar.

Message 91 of 114
latest reply

@erzengelb wrote:

Update: The buyer who purchased the relisted item (also an Australian with a 3rd party U.S. shipping address, but who subsequently claims to live in England) just issued a return request, citing "item not as described." The package was only delivered to the 3rd party California shipping address 3 days ago, it hasn't even had time to reach him in Australia/England. I've already reported the buyer to eBay, but I realize now a 6-hour phone call to eBay customer service is in order. I can only hope I get someone on the phone who can speak and understand the English language. I did absolutely everything I was supposed to regarding this transaction.

I'm not refunding anything at all until I receive the package, and I'll bet every penny of the funds that are currently being withheld that I'll either never receive the cards or won't receive all the cards I sent (and I DO have a full list of what was sent), OR that the package was never even opened and this was more retaliation against me for cancelling the initial transaction. Sellers, beware. You have absolutely no protection on this platform from scammers and/or Karens.

If you mailed it usps, file a federal fraud case with postmaster. 

The United States Postal Service doesn't care if I've been defrauded by an Australian scammer. They delivered the parcel to the address provided by eBay on the label, and that's as far as their responsibility goes. For what it's worth, the scammer has not yet done anything with the return label I paid for, but what I don't think any of you seem to understand is I'm dealing with a vindictive troll here, and he'll almost certainly wait until the last possible moment to mail it back, because he knows my funds are frozen until he gets a refund.

That's how these scammers operate. They hold sellers' funds hostage in hopes that they'll just write the item off and issue the refund (OR they know that a lot of first-time victims will accidentally issue the refund when purchasing a return label, because the buttons are WAY too close together on the same page, and if I hadn't already been warned about that, I would have probably made the same mistake).

This is all retaliation for cancelling the initial sale, for which now more than ever I feel perfectly justified. I was instantly suspicious when he waited until after the purchase to ask all the questions any idiot would ask BEFORE buying an $850 box of old trading cards, he ultimately violated eBay's policy by attempting to change the terms of the transaction after the point of sale (and that IS eBay's policy, whether some of you naysaying devils' advocates like it or not), so I cancelled the transaction. Less than an hour after relisting the box of cards, he bought them again using a sockpuppet account with 3 feedback (and by the way, my buyer settings are supposed to prevent anyone with less than FIVE feedback from purchasing my goods, so there's another bone I have to pick with eBay). His account clearly shows he's in Australia, NOT California. Yet he filed a SNAD less than 24 hours after the box was delivered to the 3rd party California shipper.

And now for the next 3 weeks, my eBay store is dead in the water, because I don't get paid until I issue a refund, and as stated above, this jerk is either going to wait until the very last day to send the cards back, or he never intended to send them back in the first place and I'm going to see them listed one by one on his own eBay store. Either way, he wins and I lose, because if he keeps the most valuable cards and only sends back the commons, I would only get up to a 50% refund (that info is straight from eBay customer service). This is an absolute nightmare, and I have EVERY right to be angry at the scammer, at eBay, and at community members here who think the answer here is for me to "calm down," "suck it up," and "move on." $850 might only be a pittance to some of you, but it's a significant amount of money to me.

There was absolutely no way to protect myself from this happening, and there's no way to prevent it from happening again and again. eBay's "seller protection" policies are toothless, unenforced, and meaningless, and every single seller on this platform is at risk. Some of you apparently won't believe or understand that until it happens to you.

Message 93 of 114
latest reply

And before anyone says "well if he doesn't return the box, you won't have to issue a refund, the money is yours, and no harm done," I want you to stop and consider how stressful, disruptive and infuriating all this is. I wasted an entire day of my life trying to get help from eBay's customer service department, only to be told that there was nothing they could do. I don't get paid until I issue an $850 SNAD refund for a box of cards that are currently on a boat to Australia and have yet to be touched by the buyer. I've been defrauded by a vindictive Pokemon card seller who has very clearly done this before, because he knew every single loophole to bypass eBay's so-called "seller protection." Not to mention the negative feedback I received on the initial sale, which per eBay's own policy should have been removed, because I have proof in writing the buyer violated eBay's policy by attempting to change the terms of the transaction after the point of sale. My confidence in this platform is gone, and it's not coming back. There has been PLENTY of harm done here.

Message 94 of 114
latest reply

I often get those buyers where you can sense something is going to go wrong.  I am upfront with them when they ask "does it come with..." something that it DOESNT come with.  I simply explain NO, I'm sorry, that is not included.  I explain the worst case scenario also when asked about shipping times and THEY need to choose and PAY for upgraded shipping if time is of the essence.  With these customers, do NOT try to make the sale by saying what they want to hear, tell the worst case.  In my experience, as long as you are 100% honest, they turn out to be good customers or they GO AWAY, which may be best.

Message 95 of 114
latest reply

8 hours over a neutral feedback? It's NEUTRAL. It has no impact on your account or your store. You have blown this way out of proportion.

Message 96 of 114
latest reply

I could tell from reading the first couple of lines that we were dealing with a scammer. These are the absolute worst vermin to infect this site. I have seen the modus operandi before and even seen other resellers with youtube channels talk about the exact same behavior.

I have been the victim of a scam of a similar magnitude once as well so i feel your pain, i really do.

Message 97 of 114
latest reply

You do not seem to understand. If you send a shipment via USPS using "restricted delivery", only the actual addressee can sign for it. USPS will return the shipment to you (the sender) if the actual addressee cannot sign for it. USPS will NOT deliver the item to a third party shipper, only the actual addressee. Saying otherwise is misleading readers of this forum. 

I can positively say, via FIRSTHAND experience, that using USPS's "restricted delivery" service fully PREVENTS delivery to a third party shipper, agent, or anyone other than the actual addressee.

To avoid USPS mistakes, you should always write "DELIVER TO ADDRESSEE ONLY -RESTRICTED DELIVERY" in large letters just above the addressee's address and on another prominent place on the front of the mailing, as my company always does when we use this service. 

Message 98 of 114
latest reply

Why do you think it's a neutral feedback? Where did you read that? It's a NEGATIVE feedback, and it has already impacted my sales. I have not blown this out of proportion.

Message 99 of 114
latest reply

The address is literally listed as a 3rd party shipper when searched for on Google. I didn't know until after the fact, I don't have time to research every single address of every single buyer, and it would have simply resulted in another negative feedback, and one has already crippled my sales.

Message 100 of 114
latest reply

Until the buyer gets it, invents an excuse why they need a partial refund, or just straight up steals it. Buyers who bombard you with questions almost always end up being problem buyers. I wouldn't want to sell to this person either.

Message 101 of 114
latest reply

What does Google have to do with Ebay? The addressee's address is irrelevant as long as it is listed with Ebay at the time of purchase. Again, by using USPS's "restricted delivery" service, only the actual addressee can sign for a mailing and even then it must be signed for at the address listed with Ebay regardless. USPS will NOT deliver the package to anyone else (except in rare cases when someone is proven to be the addressee's agent). I have firsthand experience with this. You do not. You are misleading readers of this forum. 

Message 102 of 114
latest reply

I agree. None of our biggest spenders have ever sent more than two or three emails. If someone emails you 30 times about his $99 order, you can bet the house that he is either mentally ill or a scammer. 

One weirdo called us more than 300 times about his $399 purchase. After his first few bizarre calls, the rest were automatically sent to voice mail.

We had no choice but to cancel his order and refund his money. Even after this deranged kook cashed the refund check, he continued to contact us and even government authorities, LOL. 

Yet, we have multiple customers who have each cumulatively spent five or even six figures yet NEVER emailed us about anything. 

One way to reduce dealings with deranged wackos is not to advertise bargains, which attract the mentally disturbed because they tend to be insecure including about the amount of money they spend. 

Message 103 of 114
latest reply

You are not talking about the same thing as me. You don't understand what happened, and you're not even trying to. I'm not misleading anyone, you are, because what you're talking about does not apply here. Using Restricted Delivery would bounce back 80%+ of everyone's sales on eBay, because most people aren't at home when packages are delivered. 

And for the record, USPS will deliver packages unsigned, unattended, never marked as delivered, to the wrong addresses, or take them home with them. Quit acting like USPS is a reliable shipping service that abides by its own policies, because it's not. None of them are.

Message 104 of 114
latest reply

Anyway, I'm done here. I've warned sellers what can happen to any of them at any time without recourse. And as soon as I find a better platform and transfer my listings over to whatever that platform may be, I'll be closing my store here and cancelling my account. 

And THAT, eBay, is how you lose a customer. Well done.

Message 105 of 114
latest reply