cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to file a claim?

One of my international items arrived damaged to the buyer with usps.

I can’t file a claim with usps because I only have an eBay tracking number which they don’t accept. 

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

How to file a claim?

What shipping method did you use? 

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

How to file a claim?

If you used EBAY EIS shipping program....EBAY pays for lost/damaged shipments.   You don't need to claim "damages" because it come out of EBAY's pocket.   You are only responsible for getting item to EBAY forwarding center (here in USA).

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

How to file a claim?

Is this a "freight forward" to another country? 

I am assuming you didn't use EIS shipping but rather just USPS with tracking.

USPS is rather not easy to file for a damaged item...a lost item yes.

Usually can't collect on a damaged item through USPS...but you can try.

Just thoughts.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

How to file a claim?

I question if it was "freight forward".

Someone told me eBay does not cover EIS to another country in the country where buyer lives and it was freight forward.  I don't know the correct answer.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

How to file a claim?

@grymauch wrote:

One of my international items arrived damaged to the buyer with usps.

I can’t file a claim with usps because I only have an eBay tracking number which they don’t accept. 

We need more details, if you ship an package via a USPS International (or domestic) Service then all you need is the tracking number to file a claim. Of course you would have had to purchase insurance given that USPS International services don't come with any included/free insurance.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

How to file a claim?

@grymauch 

Please provide the USPS Tracking history for this transaction, since there seem to be many questions regarding this shipment and the delivery.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

How to file a claim?

I looked at several of your listings and your international shipments, at least the ones I looked at, go through the EIS program. If that is the case then as caldreamer   mentioned there is nothing for you to do here other than to tell your buyer to file a NAD claim with eBay. The EIS program will address refunding the buyer out of their own pockets and work any logistics they see fit but you will not get the item back.  

If this did not go through EIS or there are other issues can you provide some additional information like the item number, how you shipped it and where the buyer is located? 

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

How to file a claim?

First class international

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

How to file a claim?

Thanks. I’ll look into that.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

How to file a claim?

First class international

If you shipped this directly using USPS First Class International unless you purchased insurance the first class international does not automatically come with insurance. 

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

How to file a claim?

@grymauch 

"I can’t file a claim with usps because I only have an eBay tracking number which they don’t accept. "

It sounds as if you were attempting to send an international mailing, using the eBay Standard Envelope -- but the ESE is limited to only United States domestic mail.  Otherwise I can't figure out why you say that your shipment only has "an eBay tracking number which they don't accept."

If you actually DID send an ESE, it would have reached one of the eBay International Shipping hubs, and then probably repackaged, and re-shipped via a third party carrier, such as DHL -- and probably re-packaged in a flimsy DHL envelope, thus causing the damage to the item.

If you DID use eBay International Shipping, your buyer needs to open up a claim with THEM -- not you.

But it is probably not a good idea to try to ship internationally with the ESE, which is intended ONLY for domestic USA mail.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

How to file a claim?

It sounds as if you were attempting to send an international mailing, using the eBay Standard Envelope -- but the ESE is limited to only United States domestic mail.  Otherwise I can't figure out why you say that your shipment only has "an eBay tracking number which they don't accept."

If you actually DID send an ESE, it would have reached one of the eBay International Shipping hubs, and then probably repackaged, and re-shipped via a third party carrier, such as DHL -- and probably re-packaged in a flimsy DHL envelope, thus causing the damage to the item.

If you DID use eBay International Shipping, your buyer needs to open up a claim with THEM -- not you.

But it is probably not a good idea to try to ship internationally with the ESE, which is intended ONLY for domestic USA mail.

According to the OP up thread they shipped the item First Class International which comes with no automatic insurance coverage from USPS. 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply