cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long do you have to give a buyer a Refund? Lost package issue

Hi!  I have sold an item .  Item was sold on September 18, 2021.  I don't think it's been tracked since September 21.  So it's lost and I have filed a claim and missing mail and all that good stuff.  Me and the buyer have been hoping the item will show up, but it hasn't so far.  How long do I have before I can no longer give the buyer a refund?  My buyer is being very understanding, but I don't want the period to expire that I have to give her her money back.  Thank you!!

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: How long do you have to give a buyer a Refund? Lost package issue

@crazycraftfrog wrote:

Hi!  I have sold an item .  Item was sold on September 18, 2021.  I don't think it's been tracked since September 21.  So it's lost and I have filed a claim and missing mail and all that good stuff.  Me and the buyer have been hoping the item will show up, but it hasn't so far.  How long do I have before I can no longer give the buyer a refund?  My buyer is being very understanding, but I don't want the period to expire that I have to give her her money back.  Thank you!!

The buyer has 30 days from the latest estimated delivery date to file an INR (Item Not Received) refund request.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

In this case, if the buyer is too late to file INR, why don't you just do the right thing and issue a full refund? 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

If you are filing an insurance claim for a missing package which has an acceptance scan, but no additional scan afterward, that would benefit you, the seller ("and all that good stuff").  From a buyer's point of view they have paid and not received anything for 60 days.  You could issue a refund on your own out of good faith rather than continue bearing with the additional buyer's worry.  From there, you can push the postal outlet that lost your package harder.  I had a FedEx package that never got a scan after the acceptance scan; in return, I refunded the buyer on my own at the moment I decided to file a claim, and then submitted proof to FedEx, both on-line and in writing, from which a check was sent to me to cover the loss.  Good Luck.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Your buyer also has 180 days from Payment for a Paypal dispute, if he used that processor.

While credit card policies differ, it's not uncommon for a chargeback to be made for the same 180 days.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Thank you!  It was USPS and they have sent me the standard $50.  I did not have any additional insurance.  Thank you!!

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I am going to issue a refund.  The buyer and I both agreed to give it some time and see if the item showed up.  I just wanted to make sure I don't allow the time period to send the refund to lapse.  

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I am asking how long I as the seller have to give the buyer a refund.  The buyer will not have to file a refund request.  So according to other posters, I think it's 180 days.  Thank you for your input though.  I appreciate it.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Since Ebay has taken over payments, do you know how long I have with Ebay?  I wonder if it is the same time as with Paypal.  Thanks!

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

still no answer as to how long Ebay now gives sellers the opportunity to give a refund.  Does anyone know?

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

So, you've already been covered by postal insurance and you're still waiting to see if the parcel shows up, leaving the buyer hanging? Give it up and refund now. What are you thinking? If the item was worth a lot more than $50, then additional insurance would have been prudent.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@crazycraftfrog wrote:

still no answer as to how long Ebay now gives sellers the opportunity to give a refund.  Does anyone know?

Unless I'm mistaken (and I very well could be) the transaction will fall off after 30 days if no action is taken on the case.  It's probably too late to refund through Ebay.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 12 of 12
latest reply