cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you open an unpaid case?

The link Ebay provides to open an unpaid case takes you directly to cancelling the order.  I don't want to cancel the order!!  I want to open a case against a buyer who refused to pay for an auction

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

It does take you to cancelling the order because, when you cancel the order, using "buyer did not pay" as the reason, you are refunded your FVF, buyer gets a strike and you are free to relist if you wish.  That's how a seller handles a non-paying bidder on eBay.  

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

The old unpaid item claim process has been replaced. It's now a type of cancellation. If the buyer doesn't pay within 4 full days, then the list of reasons for canceling the transaction will include "Buyer didn't pay." So now it's a one-step process taking 4+ days instead of two steps which took 6+ days.

Here is the Help page about what to do if a buyer doesn't pay:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/resolving-unpaid-items-buyers?id=4137 

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

@kelphugger wrote:

The link Ebay provides to open an unpaid case takes you directly to cancelling the order.  I don't want to cancel the order!!  I want to open a case against a buyer who refused to pay for an auction

What you are going for by opening a case under the old system is the same thing now. The only difference is that you can cancel on Day 5 instead of waiting around longer for a payment that will never come. When you cancel with the reason of Buyer didnt pay then the deadbeat gets the same Unpaid slap as he would have gotten under the old system. So just cancel as soon as the Buyer didnt pay option appears - which is on Day 5 after auction end - and then you are free to relist and move on. Put the deadbeat on your Blocked buyer list too.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

If sellers would use the tools that Ebay provides to report nonpayers, sellers wouldn't have to violate the feedback policy by leaving negative remarks.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 19
latest reply

@kelphugger wrote:

There are no more unpaid item cases.

The buyer has 3 days to pay.

eBay added I want to cancel the order because the (Buyer Hasn't Paid)

and the buyer will get a strike if you use it.

It's not available until the forth day after the sale.

You can set it to have eBay do it automatically for you if you want to.

Resolving unpaid items with buyers

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/resolving-unpaid-items-buyers?id=4137&st=12&pos=1&que... 

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

If sellers would use the tools that Ebay provides to report nonpayers, sellers wouldn't have to violate the feedback policy by leaving negative remarks.

@kensgiftshop 

Oh, my! Wowzer.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@kensgiftshop 

Oh, my! Wowzer.

Ya.

Have a great day
Message 8 of 19
latest reply

@eunster1313 wrote:

There are no more unpaid item cases.

The buyer has 3 days to pay.

eBay added I want to cancel the order because the (Buyer Hasn't Paid)

and the buyer will get a strike if you use it.

It's not available until the forth day after the sale.

You can set it to have eBay do it automatically for you if you want to.

Resolving unpaid items with buyers

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/resolving-unpaid-items-buyers?id=4137&st=12&pos=1&que... 

Just a slight clarification:

The buyer has four days to pay.

It's not available until the fifth day after the sale.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

How you do that?

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@shado-x wrote:

How you do that?

False positives left by sellers rather than follow the procedures and report them to eBay via the cancellation process.

The OP left one rant for a non-payer and that probably means they did not report/cancel.

The OP left one and that was six months ago, some of the sellers who complain about non-payers the most will have left false positives for dozens of buyers and then they complain that eBay does nothing to punish non-payers.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote: ...False positives left by sellers rather than follow the procedures and report them to eBay via the cancellation process.

The OP left one rant for a non-payer and that probably means they did not report/cancel....

eBay changed the policy a couple of years ago.  After a buyer gets a nonpayment strike, the buyer is blocked from leaving any feedback, but the seller is not blocked.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

To be fair, those sellers who leave "non-payer" feedback do help other sellers.

There's been a few times I have decided to not accept an offer because the buyer's feedback said he was a deadbeat buyer.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Can anyone please tell me why Sellers can't leave Negative Feedback against Buyers who Shill Bid and don't pay or respond? I don't get why I have to leave it as Positive Feedback with a negative review! Seems kind of pointless and still leaves the person with a 100% Positive rating. This makes no sense to me considering if we didn't sell our stuff on here, then there would be no Ebay. This is a major issue currently going on especially with trading cards. Take the time to list everything. Then wait for the length of the auction. Then another few days of non payment. Then have to start the whole process again and wait...

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

So you feel that violating the rules by leaving a negatively-worded positive feedback for a buyers is the best way to help other sellers? And to risk a defect for yourself by doing so?

The appropriate reaction to a non-paying bidder is outlined here on several posts.  

Message 15 of 19
latest reply