cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you arrange local pickup?

How on earth do you arrange local pickup? Ebay's advice on this is archived, which I take to mean obsolete.

I will require payment through Ebay before arranging local pickup. But the buyer has to know more than the ZIP code where the item is located. Further, I would prefer to meet him in a different ZIP code within my city. We need to trade meeting location and contact information, such as cell phone numbers.

This is not a complicated situation. So how do you do it?

PS Anybody other than me have trouble figuring out how to post in these forums? You can't post from a search results pages, how lame.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Your buyer would need to bring the QR code they receive after they made payment.

Arranging pickup

In your item description or checkout instructions, specify when and how the buyer can collect the item. Don't add your full address, just the area will do. You may need to get in touch with them after the listing ends to confirm the details of the pickup.

Proof of pickup

Proof of pickup is required to protect you against item not received cases. 

For proof of pickup you can:

• use the eBay app to scan the QR code the buyer received through email
  • use the eBay app to manually enter the 6-digit code the buyer received through email

To scan the QR code:

1. Go to Selling on the eBay App.
  2. Go to the Sold tab.
  3. Select the Arrange Pickup banner.
  4. Tap the Scan to confirm pickup button.

Offering local pickup | eBay

Starting a conversation in this forum is not that difficult

You simply click on Start a Conversation. Since you did post here you apparently figured it out.

Untitled.png

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

I do Local Pickup, here is how it works for me.

Buyer purchases item and pays for it selecting Local Pickup.

Buyer usually makes contact to arrange pickup, if not, I contact them.

Exchange information to arrange the pickup.

Do the pickup.

Extra step if you wish, when buyer purchases and pays for Local Pickup they will be given a QR code by eBay. At pickup you can scan the QR code or copy down the number, if you scan with your phone I think it updates eBay to mark as shipped, if you just have the number (or not) then manually mark the item as picked up.

Once a buyer has purchased it's fine to exchange contact info.

If you want you can mention in the listing description a general location or likewise, if a buyer contacts you to find out your location before they buy. Do not give out specifics at that time.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Slippinjimmy

Just curious. My new cell phone has no apps and I don't want any. If I copy the number down is there some way to let e-bay know I have it?

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

DO NOT ACCEPT PAYMENT THROUGH EBAY!

You are setting yourself up to be ripped off!

The QR code DOES NOT provide you with Seller Protection!

The buyer can make a claim with their bank, payment processor or credit card that is entirely separate from eBay's empty claims of having seller protection.

eBay forces you to put a electronic means of payment on the listing but they can't force you to accept it.

eBay does not allow you to to say cash only in the description but you can place a statement similar to this:

Contact me for pickup payment methods prior to purchase.

You then tell them its cash only upon pickup.

You should also tell them no bills higher than a $20 bill as they are less likely to be counterfeit; however, I'd also buy a inexpensive counterfeit checking pen to check random bills.

Also make sure your terms state by appointment only - they just can't show up at you door.

If they fail to contact and pay electronically then there is no sales contract as they failed to follow your terms which stake they must contact your first. If they pay electronically after you contact them then there is no sales contract as they failed to follow your instructions.

Accept electronic payment if you like to play Russian Roulette.

If you don't want them coming to your house I suggest right next to a police station.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Ive had many local pick ups, never a problem. Several buyers decided to pay with Paypal, even after I suggested a cash payment, they want that extra added protection. Never a problem with those buyers either. Just be aware if your buyer does decide to pay with electronic payment, if you cancel the transaction, you will receive a major defect to your account.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Cash only for local pickup sales, anything else is asking for later problems.

And yes, I realize eBay requires you to "accept an electronic payment method", but you can certainly make "cash only" part of your terms. Never once had a problem with doing so over many, many local pick-up sales.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

"The buyer can make a claim with their bank, payment processor or credit card that is entirely separate from eBay's empty claims of having seller protection."

Any Ebay buyer at any time can initiate a chargeback on his purchased item.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Thanks, your explanation is much appreciated.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

@bonjourami wrote:

"The buyer can make a claim with their bank, payment processor or credit card that is entirely separate from eBay's empty claims of having seller protection."

Any Ebay buyer at any time can initiate a chargeback on his purchased item.

All Buyers have 100% eBay Money Back Grantee coverage for
Local Pickup sales regardless of how the Buyer pays.

If the Buyer pays you in Cash eBay will refund the Buyer
form your bank account if they need to.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

The few times I have offered local pickup (or the buyer lived in my city and asked if they could arrange it) I always meet at a parking lot at a mall or in front of a retail establishment. Usually a Starbucks.  Recently on a pricier item I offered to drive up to 20 miles to meet up. (which I ended up doing)

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

"All Buyers have 100% eBay Money Back Grantee coverage for
Local Pickup sales regardless of how the Buyer pays."

"If the Buyer pays you in Cash eBay will refund the Buyer
form your bank account if they need to."

Of course they will, did anybody say they wouldnt? But as I was told by a blue when I asked about a snad case happening after a local pick up, that they are extremely rare, as the buyer can test the item before he pays cash for it. He said those types of cases are decided on a case to case basis,that there is no set guideline in snad pick up only items.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

@beegbulz 

If one thought about it , there would be at least 2 ways to send a phone number without using numbers.

If you don’t like the answers on this thread, you can always start your own.

Has the buyer paid?

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 13 of 22
latest reply

I prefer to arrange pickup at a local coffeeshop where I am known and there is adequate parking.

If they don't show up, or are late, all too common with local pickup, I can have a nice latte and a lemon square.

Our Canadian postal codes are much more exact than your zipcodes. Mine covers one city block , just eleven homes. The coffee shop is three blocks from my house.

Last time I did one, I gave the address in Messages which eBay allows when members are in a transaction.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Errr - @slippinjimmy  Did you intend to add those tags? It's not like you.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply