cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do we stop this? Feel for these people that are bidding and havnt read the description properly

Screenshot_20210127-073235_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20210127-073256_eBay.jpg

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: How do we stop this? Feel for these people that are bidding and havnt read the description prope

You can't stop it. But you can help by reporting the listing for keyword spamming (in the item specifics) and for being in the wrong category.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Re: How do we stop this? Feel for these people that are bidding and havnt read the description prope

I hope you've reported it.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Can't you just report the listing? It's clearly a scam. I was under the impression Ebay banned this type of listing as the obvious fraud that it is long ago.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Please report that listing, total scam 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I don't usually report things but I did report a couple of similar scam listings for the same thing, then bookmarked them...ebay did nothing. The listings are still active and selling.

I figure now that the buyers will have sense enough to file a case, although if they don't have the sense to read the listing then maybe not?

-------------
Posting ID
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

According to  the seller it's a 'protest' against all the scalpers & scammers on this particular item.

I told him be that as it may be ebay takes a dim view of the practice and they can most likely kiss their account goodbye.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@ronsam-197 wrote:

According to  the seller it's a 'protest' against all the scalpers & scammers on this particular item.

I told him be that as it may be ebay takes a dim view of the practice and they can most likely kiss their account goodbye.

A scammer is scamming people to protest scamming?

-------------
Posting ID
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

First listing report I've ever sent to eBay in 22 years!

People like this are what kills eBay for everyone else (buyers, sellers & eBay).

---------

I'm not even sure that I reported the listing in the OP, it may have been a different listing from a different seller using the same (mostly) description text.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

There have been a lot of stories going around claiming that scalpers are using "bots" to buy up high-demand items such as PS5's and expensive Nvidia video cards. No doubt there are some flat-out scammers actually trying to deceive buyers by selling pictures or empty boxes, but at least some of the folks putting up such listings apparently think they are performing a service by listing images in the video game or video card categories -- many even say "do not buy" or "bots only" in the title or at the top of the description.

And some other folks think they are performing a service by bidding on such items to raise the price up to stratospheric levels to teach the "seller" a lesson.

Unfortunately, there are lots of ordinary non-bot folks that just want to buy a nice video card or console that either do not see the disclaimer or do not notice until after bidding/buying.

In some cases, long item titles can be truncated when using the eBay app, so if you are searching for a new PS5 in the video game console category, it may not occur to you that you need to read the item description to determine whether the seller is trying to sell a jpg, gif, printed photo, empty box or the actual console.

The result is a huge mess that reinforces the idea that eBay is a haven for scammers and thieves, and that eBay is not interested in policing the site to protect consumers.

As someone who has been reporting dozens of such listings every day since early December, I would welcome eBay cracking down on those sellers and listings, but so far eBay seems to be waiting for multiple complaints before taking any action rather than preventing those items from being listed in the first place.

To get an idea of how many such listings there are, see here:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=nvidia+%28be.warned%2Cdeterrent%2Clure%2Chuman%29+%28...

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@excessive46 wrote: "How do we stop this"?

By reporting the seller.

Click on the "Report Item" link found on every listing.

Sellers like this think they are safe if they scam a buyer with a picture of the expensive item (all items have a picture) and say in the print it is just a jpg (a picture) that the buyer is paying for and getting.

They say no returns thinking they are protected from not taking a return and not giving back the ill gotten money.

It is scam bait for buyers who look at pictures, don't read descriptions and trust Ebay's sellers.

That scam seller is despicable and others like them need to be reported.

If we want to keep our platform clean, we have to do our part to help take out the trash.

Good luck!

Message 11 of 11
latest reply