cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How correctly to embed youtube video with the new active content restrictions?

Hi sellers!

Do you know how correctly to embed youtube video into listing? I received email today from eBay that they will remove all active content from my listings soon and the email pointed all listings where I have embedded youtube videos. I do not have addiotional active content except videos. Usually I embed it with html code, but it seems like ebay will not really support that way soon. However, they say in new rules that video embedding will be supported. So how should I do it correctly? 

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: How correctly to embed youtube video with the new active content restrictions?

You wait until eBay provides the new approved code for YouTube videos. Nobody knows when that will happen but they won't be banning YouTube video until they do.

It's possible to use HTML5 but only if you self-host the videos, this is not practical for most sellers so there is nothing to do except wait.

Message 2 of 45
latest reply

Re: How correctly to embed youtube video with the new active content restrictions?

Anyone have any updates on this?  I called eBay today and nobody could really help.  I can't imagine eBay not allowing YouTube videos in the item description to help promote and sell. 

Message 3 of 45
latest reply

@blanc10

I will simply restate the answer above. eBay plans to have a solution, but we don't yet know what it will be.  If you are using YouTube in your listings, just continue using those videos until eBay provides an alternate method for adding YouTube videos. We have at least 2 months until the ban is put into place and videos fail to render. When eBay has a solution in place, they'll let us know.  I would suggest checking back once a month.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 4 of 45
latest reply

Thank you!

Message 5 of 45
latest reply

As of 04/18/2017 eBay does not have a clue as to how we can embed a video into our listings. Their online support is clueless. I telephoned eBay. eBay's example of how to write HTML5 code to embed blows and sucks... in other words it does not work. eBay keeps sending out IM's stating they will provide information and suport concerning how Sellers can replace active content (embedded video) but to date they have not provided the promised info. I use video in three of my auctions and I am certain I am one of thousands who use videos. If eBay turns off our video embed capability in June I suspect there will be a bunch of **bleep** off Sellers... and I will be one of them.

Message 6 of 45
latest reply

shipscript, I read a post of your's from a year ago reitterating exactly what you are saying now and eBay has failed to do as you continue to say. I have been called personally by eBay regarding my Active Content and they have not communicated to me what you are saying in regards to YouTube videos. From what I understand, they still communicate that they are planning to not allow YouTube videos to be Embedded like they have in the past. The employees at eBay that I have spoken to are not aware of an actionable plan to work towards allowing YouTube videos in the near future, unless they plan on exempting them from their policy.

Do you have a source that we can be pointed to that states that eBay will continue to allow YouTube videos until they come up with a solution?

Jon
eCommerce Sales Manager
RAK Distribution (on eBay)
Message 7 of 45
latest reply

eBay is also officially blocking access to YouTube in their June 2017 Active Content Preview now. See screenshot.

Jon
eCommerce Sales Manager
RAK Distribution (on eBay)
Message 8 of 45
latest reply

Finally - June 03 2017 - How to embed a Youtube or Vimeo video code generator and thanks for no help from the Ebay employees. 

Sellers, you can find the embed code generator at:

http://www.isdntek.com/tagbot/YouTubeConverter.htm

I have used this to create code for both Youtube and Vimeo videos which I use in my ads.  It works!

Thanks again to the eBay staff & employees for another HASEL and all the NON-HELP in figuring out how we can keep product videos functioning properly in our ads. You eBay employess may not realize it but part of your paycheck comes from the revenue we Sellers generate.  I'm certain the Moderator of this Community Board will send me an IM scolding me for speaking truthfully and frankly about the frustration we Sellers have to put up with all because there isn't more competition. Well go ahead and send the IM but I won't read it - this I tell you. Ha!

Message 9 of 45
latest reply

this is worthless since it doesn't actually play the video IN the listing. i mean, i guess it's better than nothing but ebay is once again showing how seller hostile they are. this is ridiculous.
Message 10 of 45
latest reply

Don't know what you mean twindesignstudios . I have used the code generator to create embed code for both YouTube  & Vimeo video which I now have embedded in my ads and they past the smell test (Preview test).

You must not understand how to use this code generator or place the code into your HTML or.... ???

Not worthless.

Message 11 of 45
latest reply

Hi,

I have tried to use the generator but as i insert the code to the html description I just get blank space, video does not show up? I did generate code that works as I have tested on other sites, I did replaced the code with old youtube video...?

Any adivce would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

TV Tech

Message 12 of 45
latest reply

Difficult to understand what you are saying but... I attached three pic's showing how to use the code generator.  I used this code generator to generate code for my eBay ads. Works perfectly with no issues. Tried it with Vimeo & Youtube videos and works fine.

Message 13 of 45
latest reply

Ebay has been telling us for months and months that active content will be coming to an end.  Months!

Message 14 of 45
latest reply

Been around this loop for a while with eBay. The promised early 2017 solution never arrived. The solution offered above is not a video embed, but a clickable picture that opens a new window. Basically tech from 10 years ago. Expect lowered sales as customers drift off into cat videos. Have had numerous calls with uninformed reps about this, with promises to look into it and get back to me. Quit lying. A rep I spoke with on the phone today said all you need to do is paste the link into your listing and add the number 5 to the end.  When I asked where that was written on the eBay site as a solution, she could not tell me. Plus - that does not work either! The excuse for this "no active content" is to make it mobile friendly. What mobile friendly site other than eBay does NOT have active content? This will not be a Bonanza for eBay.

Message 15 of 45
latest reply