cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can sellers win disputes?

In the last two weeks I sold about 15 new iPhone 8+/X’s locked to ATT carrier, they were specifically stated to only be compatible with ATT

conveiently one buyer opened a defective item case for two different phones he bought (1500$ total), other than that I had no problems with the other sales.  This buyers account was created 1 day before he bought them.

he said the same sentence in both disputes in broken English:

“phones not work on any SIM card need be unlocked”

I know the phones work, I sell phones full time and i am very knowledgeable of telling Difference between a buyer with a legit problem and a buyer who has no idea what they’re talking about.  The buyer seems to be complaining that they’re not unlocked for any carrier.

I can allow the return and lose my depreciation value of the phones, maybe the buyer sends back empty boxes  which I’m worried about too.

i can dispute the return and win, or lose and have 2 big blackmarks and have my top rated seller status in jeopardy.

I hear it’s very hard for sellers to win disputes so I don’t know if I should continue fighting it or what ... I don’t know how I could ever prove I am right, and I know for sure my 8 year old top rated seller account is weighted as nothing in ebays eyes against an account created last week.

Any advice would be appreciated 

thanks

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: How can sellers win disputes?

No way to dispute at all. 

You can either:

1) Call eBay and they’ll force close it to buyers remorse..BUT you are still forced to refund all shipping AND you’ll get a ‘case close without seller resolution’ strike...which you can then after dispite with eBay Appeals departments and get the defect removed and the refund for the shipping as a cresult on your next invoice. 

2) Accept the return, buyer ships back and upon delivery they get the full amount and shipping. Then call ebay appeals and get your shipping money credit back to next invoice. 

Those are are the ONLY 2 options for sellers, and have made many threads on the ridiculousness of this over and over, hoping for a change.

I usually never accept a false SNAD because I don’t want to leave my account marked with a SNAD for possible future fee increases. 

I always try to and talk with the buyer first about how they opened a wrong return, and how I can not approve the return until they close it out. And then they can ship back and I’ll refund minus shipping. Works 50% of the time. The other times you’re going to have to bite the bullet and jump through hoops to get the defects and refunds made.

Hope this helps. 

HonestAbe411

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Iphones & computers on eBay are a target for scammers. If you sell them on here you have to be prepared to get some level of theft. Common is buyer opens return and sends you back something else. Seller will loose. Buyer gets refunded without having to send anything back. I've read numerous cases of both happening on eBay. Its very hard to win disputes on here even with tracking. Even when you know your in the right you still loose the money and the product in most cases. Buyer nearly always wins.. Sell expensive stuff at your own risk

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

The seller can't win a dispute on eBay. The buyer has too many layers of security for a seller to win.

If the buyer loses with eBay, they go to Paypal & dispute. If they lose with eBay & Paypal the buyer then goes to the credit card dispute.  Many layers of protection for the buyer. 

It's a losing situation for all sellers unless Cash is in hand.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

The only way a seller can win a dispute is if the buyer claims not received and the seller has tracking to show it received.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

That is a great question.  Its pretty much impossible.  Best regards

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Those are are the ONLY 2 options for sellers,

Don't forget alternative #3...  refund the buyer and let him keep the product for free. 

This is  an alternative designed to relieve the stress of getting back that proverbial "empty box".  It is also useful for a seller who has to refund return shipping costs that are more than the transaction was in the first place. 

Buyers love it, and will certainly continue to shop here. 

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

ROFL...obviously you do not sell with FBA.

Very True.

Story Time ?

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

@honestabe411 wrote:

1) Call eBay and they’ll force close it to buyers remorse..BUT you are still forced to refund all shipping AND you’ll get a ‘case close without seller resolution’ strike...which you can then after dispite with eBay Appeals departments and get the defect removed and the refund for the shipping as a cresult on your next invoice. 

Tha is not ever how it goes down. 

Who told you that?

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@monster-deals wrote:

@honestabe411 wrote:

Tha is not ever how it goes down. 

Who told you that?

Yeah I was gonna say......that is not an option. There was a brief period where eBay would have the buyer pay for Return shipping on a SNAD when they could clearly see it was remorse but in the spring they changed that and now they say they can’t convert a SNAD to a remorse return. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 10 of 21
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

now they say they can’t convert a SNAD to a remorse return. 

Yeah, but "can't" and "won't" are two different animals.

I'm leaning more towards "won't"

A 95/5 split.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

@monster-deals wrote:

@missjen831 wrote:

now they say they can’t convert a SNAD to a remorse return. 

Yeah, but "can't" and "won't" are two different animals.

I'm leaning more towards "won't"

A 95/5 split.

Of course. We know they CAN because.....they can & will convert a remorse return to a SNAD. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 12 of 21
latest reply

DP

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@williamh_24076 wrote:

ROFL...obviously you do not sell with FBA.

Very True.

Story Time ?

Let's just say, it's as bad, if not worse than ebay

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Figured out buyer was using a mail forwarding address. I Contacted the company and they said the parcel is still  in transit to some Arabic country.

buyer hasn’t even received the items he’s just making up stuff to get the phones for free. I posted screenshots of the forwarding company’s site and their address matches the buyers address . I Posted a screenshot of their email to me telling me they forwarded it and the person hasn’t even received it yet.

Fingers crossed Ebay doesn’t screw me

Message 15 of 21
latest reply