cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How about we hear an eBay success story?

By this, I mean, we hear from a seller who makes $500-600+ a week, steadily and, they do not have 3-4 employees plus 25,000 listings or a closet full of iPhones.  lol  A seller who works completely alone.  I have been on eBay since 2001.  I have had successful weeks, on occasion.  I've had a day where I sold over $2000.  Now??  Hard pressed to make $100 a week.  There is a local shop where I can pick up 5 tasty chicken fingers & a large coleslaw.  My sales this week could not cover the cost of buying this meal.  Please do not consider yourself a success if you had 14 sales in 3 weeks & 'earned' $700.  🙂    I'm talking about $2000+ a month; every month.  Good luck to us all.   PS - It is not the economy causing such a drastic drop in sales.  Low income people do not make that many purchases to affect eBay like this.  They can shove their PL blackmail.  I pay enough of a % out of my sales AND give away free money on a % of my shipping cost where eBay offers ZERO services for that %.

Message 1 of 89
latest reply
88 REPLIES 88

Not too shabby of a rant for this week. The chicken and coleslaw sound pretty good.

Message 2 of 89
latest reply

@sakic92710 wrote:

Please do not consider yourself a success if you had 14 sales in 3 weeks & 'earned' $700.  🙂  

That would be incredibly successful if they had only listed 14 items 🤣

Message 3 of 89
latest reply

@sakic92710 

You are always entertaining with your posts.  

Have a great (or better) day.  Niagara on the Lake??  Nice!! 

PS I'd be thrilled right now if I made $100 a week.  But who's complaining?...😆

Message 4 of 89
latest reply

I was close to that level until 2022.  I started selling in 2015 and was thrilled when I built up to selling $300/week.  Slowly built up to around $2000/mo, (net) more or less.  And I’m a single lady, doing all the sourcing, cleaning, listing, packing, schlepping all by myself.  Also I take 2 months off in the winter, so those months don’t count.  And on most days, I love what I do.

My listings are eclectic, vintage Levi’s,  some boots and shoes, vintage and mid-century housewares, mostly.  Started with the Levi’s, built up to the other stuff, now that other stuff is just sitting on the shelves and only the Levi’s and Pranas are moving.  

Strategy?  I list something most every day.  I lower prices and run sales.  I NEVER use promoted listings. Very, very rarely uses auctions.  I require “Buy it Now” and I do not include “Best Offers” in my ads, although occasionally I will accept or counter an unsolicited offer.  I’m good at packing fragile items safely and some of my biggest sales are vintage China and Crystal.  I only offer GSP on the Levi’s  and Pranas, all the other stuff is domestic only.  I offer returns, buyer pays return shipping.  I’ve only had a handful.  

I don’t rely on my eBay income exclusively, but it certainly helps pad the old piggy bank.  This year I’m running as fast as I can and still slipping backwards.  Monthly sales down about 40%.  Curious to see what others have to say.  Try to stay hopeful.  🎈

Message 5 of 89
latest reply

I work completely by myself and I sell around $60,000 a month in goods and it's a 6 figure income each year... in the recent couple of months, I have been selling around $30,000 - $40,000 a month. It has dropped considerably but I am still hanging on and I am hopeful that sales will come back!

Message 6 of 89
latest reply

nothing about being  ebay successful here but I consider it was a success that I posted some of my bigger items on cl and I told my wife even though I have no responses yet but I thought it was weird I wasn't attack by any scammers either.  Not sure if that is a good sign or not when you cannot even get a scammer to answer your ads.   🙂

Message 7 of 89
latest reply

Glad to hear it!   🙂

Message 8 of 89
latest reply

@samanthasb0utique wrote:

I work completely by myself and I sell around $60,000 a month in goods and it's a 6 figure income each year... in the recent couple of months, I have been selling around $30,000 - $40,000 a month. It has dropped considerably but I am still hanging on and I am hopeful that sales will come back!

Your gross income is impressive because of all the expensive designer bags, but your net income would be more informative.

Message 9 of 89
latest reply

I'm just a clunky clothing seller (with some tech and sports) and made $1k a week when I was full time with about 500-600 items running.  It's closer to $1.5k a month now but I don't have a lot running and am always running out of inventory, so I just run my mouth on here. 

ETA: Chickens have FINGERS? 🤤

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 10 of 89
latest reply

My gross sales in 2021 was $715,000. Net income was $128,000.

Message 11 of 89
latest reply

@samanthasb0utique 

Very nice....keep up the good work!  

Message 12 of 89
latest reply

Thank you! I feel like my income should be more than what it is.. but with everything costing more, more selling fees, etc. it has cut into my profits a lot. And now, the economy isn’t doing well so I feel like this year is going to hit me hard. Thankfully, I didn’t experience the crash in 2008 since I was only 18… so I didn’t get to see how hard things could get. Praying that we aren’t headed into that direction!

Message 13 of 89
latest reply

@samanthasb0utique wrote:

My gross sales in 2021 was $715,000. Net income was $128,000.

That's good work, but with an ROI like that you must have nerves of steel! 

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 14 of 89
latest reply

@kath.layn wrote:

I was close to that level until 2022.  I started selling in 2015 and was thrilled when I built up to selling $300/week.  Slowly built up to around $2000/mo, (net) more or less.  And I’m a single lady, doing all the sourcing, cleaning, listing, packing, schlepping all by myself.  Also I take 2 months off in the winter, so those months don’t count.  And on most days, I love what I do.

My listings are eclectic, vintage Levi’s,  some boots and shoes, vintage and mid-century housewares, mostly.  Started with the Levi’s, built up to the other stuff, now that other stuff is just sitting on the shelves and only the Levi’s and Pranas are moving.  

Strategy?  I list something most every day.  I lower prices and run sales.  I NEVER use promoted listings. Very, very rarely uses auctions.  I require “Buy it Now” and I do not include “Best Offers” in my ads, although occasionally I will accept or counter an unsolicited offer.  I’m good at packing fragile items safely and some of my biggest sales are vintage China and Crystal.  I only offer GSP on the Levi’s  and Pranas, all the other stuff is domestic only.  I offer returns, buyer pays return shipping.  I’ve only had a handful.  

I don’t rely on my eBay income exclusively, but it certainly helps pad the old piggy bank.  This year I’m running as fast as I can and still slipping backwards.  Monthly sales down about 40%.  Curious to see what others have to say.  Try to stay hopeful.  🎈

Great write up.    Well done. 

Message 15 of 89
latest reply