cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do Sellers Feel about Losing 10% discount if you Don't Offer Free Returns?

Honestly,  when will eBay give us a break? I jumped through every hoop only to have my 20% discount cut to 10%. Now I learn Sellers must offer Free Ruturns to get the discount.....Anybody else feel screwed?

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: How Do Sellers Feel about Losing 10% discount if you Don't Offer Free Returns?

@jnmcnally wrote:

I have found peace of mind by giving up on their elusive discounts. I lost my 20% discount because I sent too many $3 items in 50-cent envelopes (i.e., without tracking), so I stopped trying.  With tracking I would have priced myself out of the market with $2.66 postage (plus 10% to cover Ebay's commission).  Without tracking I can continue to serve my customers at an affordable price, which is the reason I set up sale on Ebay to begin with.

You can use a second account to sell the non-tracked items, and maintain your status with your main account.

Message 31 of 47
latest reply

Re: How Do Sellers Feel about Losing 10% discount if you Don't Offer Free Returns?

@ceara2002

You do not understand how the market works. Size has little effect on company returns. In fact, many larger companies than Ebay are down as much if not more.

Message 32 of 47
latest reply

I find it interesting that people with a zero feedback score have such a grand knowledge of how selling on eBay works. Seems to be a lot of it in these threads.
Message 33 of 47
latest reply

i see many very condescending trolling replies from "0" feedback's and and acting as thought police. people that have never sold anything advising as experts in these thread's,now that you mention it,makes me wander what? with no skin in the game Hmm.
I tink i saw a putty cat.
Message 34 of 47
latest reply

@bmor3 wrote:
I find it interesting that people with a zero feedback score have such a grand knowledge of how selling on eBay works. Seems to be a lot of it in these threads.

You wouldn't find it so interesting if you knew that eBay allows members to have more than one ID, and that many contributors here use a second "posting" ID to protect their listings from sabotage by people who don't like the answers they get.

But since you recognize that those zero's have a "grand knowledge", what difference does it make? 😉

Message 35 of 47
latest reply

@ceara2002 wrote:
I don't work for ebay. I work for me. I set my rules. No one tells mall sellers how to sell or 'evaluates' them. LOL.

You set your rules within the parameters set by eBay. You're not a maverick, but if it gets you through the day to think you are, you go with that.

Message 36 of 47
latest reply

oops had my ending wrong meant "I Tawt I Taw A Puddy Tat" i did i did !!
Message 37 of 47
latest reply

But to keep buyers buying here, Ebay evaluates sellers to ensure professionalism.

I would respectfully suggest that ebay needs to do some serious "evaluating" with our esteemed members from the Pacific Rim and those found on the "featured events" like the daily deals. 

Message 38 of 47
latest reply

It seems to me, according to most posts, that sellers are not concerned about losing the discount.  They prefer to not offer free returns.

Message 39 of 47
latest reply

I stopped offering next day shipping as soon as this slap in the face came about.I usually will ship day after anyway,because that's what I would hope for if I was buying,HOWEVER,asking us to suck up the typical $3.50 becomes a wet, cold slap in the face with a heavy, **bleep** off lizard!If your even a small seller,this will wind up being hundreds of dollars...not worth the stress, or loss of income.
Message 40 of 47
latest reply

The losses have been so large it really is small potatoes, the preferred seller tag would be a magnet for problem buyers now that it means free returns,the buyers that i have not had buy that were repeats were "sellers" that i peek in on that are struggling from smallest to greatest,my buyers that are also sellers has dropped off the most i have noticed nearly all sales are just buyers not sellers not dependent on eBay sales for expendable income.I wandered for a while if eBay hates sellers i don't think that's it i think maybe thought of as "the great unwashed"
Message 41 of 47
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

It seems to me, according to most posts, that sellers are not concerned about losing the discount.  They prefer to not offer free returns.

A lot  of the big named  companies  tried free  returns as part of  their liberal return policy   to get their  buyers back from amazon  . Which failed. what  happen was  that scam buyers used their  policy's loop holes  for return abuse and retail buyer fraud.  So it took loses of  millions dollars to change their  return policies  with tougher rules.        Ebays   MBG needs to be rewritten  by requiring   buyers  to give  proof  that the item didn't meet the entended use they  bought for.   

Message 42 of 47
latest reply

I lost my TRS+ designation a long time ago.  Then the discount dropped to 10% and I never tried to regain it again.  I am a small seller in a niche market so the 20% discount was barely anough to buy a hamburger, so 10% would be even worse.  However, I left the 1-day handling and 30 day returns, just in case, and it doesn't seem to hurt.  Sales are finally starting to creep up after months of dismal sales.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 43 of 47
latest reply

It'a a choice each seller must make based on her business plan.

For some the 10% discount from eBay's fees is worth the very occasional cost of return shipping and refunded payments .

The seller has to ask how many returns and refunds she actually has and how much they actually cost.

Then that has to be compared to sales if the TRS badge doesn't appear on listings. Personally I doubt most buyers are even aware of them, based on the number of buyers who deal with 95% or lower FB sellers.

The most important thing about TRS status is whether a 10% discount on annual sales is greater than money spent on the 1% or less of transactions that fail.

If your failed transaction rate is greater than 1%, perhaps the problem can be found in the mirror.

Message 44 of 47
latest reply

I just lowered my returns to 14 days, buyer pays for returns and thinking about ending my 1-day shipping. I did it all to make eBay happy and now screw it. I am going to make me happy.

Message 45 of 47
latest reply