cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holiday Season Chit-Chat

Hi everyone! Similar to last year we wanted to give everyone a chance to connect with each other over less-directly-eBay things and more holiday stories, traditions, recipes etc. Have fun! Meet someone new! We’re all in this together. 

As always please keep the conversation on topic (which shouldn’t be too hard, it’s a broad one after all 😉) and be respectful of each other. This thread will remain open from 12.20.2021 to 1.7.2022.

Message 1 of 131
latest reply
130 REPLIES 130

Re: Holiday Season Chit-Chat

@vintagevibes81 wrote:

Favorite sale for me:  I put this on TikTok.  My mom rescued this Griswold cast iron from her neighbor's garbage.  

Oh boy...that reminds me....I loaned my dump trailer out to a friend who cleans out rental properties. I found a cast iron skillet in there when I took the trailer out to dump it. I grabbed it to refurbish but now  I need to remember what I did with the darn thing.

Mike

Firesteel Surplus

Message 31 of 131
latest reply

@jayjaspersgarage wrote:

Food and football used to be central to my family holidays.  We actually played street football on Thanksgiving which worked up amazing appetites for the afternoon feast.

Street football. We did that too when we hosted Thanksgiving at our house in our younger years. I miss those times. I'm glad to get out of bed and be able to walk let alone playing street football.

Mike

Firesteel Surplus

Message 32 of 131
latest reply

@moondogblues wrote:

I think I hogged the thread...I'll stop now.

I thought I was hogging the thread and then you zoomed by me. LOL

First to 100 wins!
Mike

Firesteel Surplus

Message 33 of 131
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

Some Christmas trivia for you, from here in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania:

This is the park in the center of the town of Honesdale, PA, and such a winter scene inspired native son Richard Bernhard Smith to write the lyrics for the song "Winter Wonderland" in 1934 (music by Felix Bernard).   He was being treated for tuberculosis at the time, and died of that disease the following year, at the age of 34, on his birthday.   Last month, an historical marker was placed outside Smith's childhood home, across from the park.

Sleigh bells ring, are you listening?
In the lane, snow is glistening
A beautiful sight
We're happy tonight
Walking in a winter wonderland

Gone away is the bluebird
Here to stay is a new bird
To sing a love song
While we stroll along

In the meadow, we can build a snowman
We'll pretend that he is Parson Brown
He'll say, are you married?
We'll say, no man
But you can do the job when you're in town

Later on, we'll conspire
As we dream by the fire
To face unafraid
The plans that we've made

I've probably sang that song 1000 times and it never occurred to me it was basically a love song with a great backstory. I can see how he was inspired to write that wonderful song in that surrounding.

Mike

Firesteel Surplus

Message 34 of 131
latest reply

@downunder-61 wrote:

Capture.JPG                         

Summer time down under, eh? We had 10" of snow dumped on us two weeks ago but most of that is already gone.

I've always wanted to visit Australia...my concern though was I might not come back 🙂

Mike

Firesteel Surplus

Message 35 of 131
latest reply

Merry Christmas from Western NY 🙂  One of my signs I made!One of my signs I made!

Message 36 of 131
latest reply

Gorgeous Picture!😘

Message 37 of 131
latest reply

I told my 18 year old nephew we were going to watch "Foul Play", a whacky adventure comedy featuring Goldie Hawn and Chevy Chase....(it's one of my fav's from back in the day)....and he managed to mutter, with a tone of great distaste " Great, a Boomer movie".     Sigh.  Now I'm not sure if I want to make him suffer so!  Should I play something current or make him suffer such a miserable fate? Lol!  Merry Christmas everyone!

-Dippity

Message 38 of 131
latest reply

Saw this gem of a feedback today.  I am starting to think the new feedback character limit is a Christmas gift in disguise.

gwzcomps_0-1640122631028.png

Message 39 of 131
latest reply

Is that shrimp on a Chia Pet Tree?

Message 40 of 131
latest reply

"

I've always wanted to visit Australia...my concern though was I might not come back 

jayjaspersgarage_0-1640129123042.png

Mike

Firesteel Surplus"

I went there for a few weeks in 2005 and loved my time between Sydney and Melbourne.  Funny thing though.  While riding the trolley near the Olympic stadium in Melbourne one of the locals looked right at me and said, "You're from San Francisco.  I saw you somewhere".  I admitted it, signed a few autographs and got off the trolley and walked the rest of the way.  Another lady had the gall to tell me I was the one with the accent.  lol

Message 41 of 131
latest reply

@joeyone 

That is cute Joey! You sell them on the bay? Our family had a saying and it was " What would Nana do"

cuz grandma's are the smartest of all!

Message 42 of 131
latest reply

Hi!  I don't sell them here just locally but could be fun!  I love your family's saying that is awesome and yes they are the smartest of all!  My Mom is 82 and all the kids call her "Naunie" it means Grandma in Italian.  Merry Christmas to you and yours!  

Message 43 of 131
latest reply

I think that's the coolest feedback I've seen! 🤣

Message 44 of 131
latest reply

Those look delicious and are a work of art. 

Message 45 of 131
latest reply