cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help With Buyer Who Changed His Mind

Here's my situation, and I ask nicely for no smart remarks because I've seen plenty of them on here when people are only trying to get help from seasoned sellers. If I need sarcasim I get that from my husband, thank you. I have a buyer who bought an item from me, basically it was new but had been opened and I advertised accordingly. It's a gaming device and when the buyer received it he wanted his money back and literally stated "I want my f....... money back, then he retracts and says he wants the adapter. The unit came with the power adapter, but I told him I would buy one and send it to him knowing he already had it. I checked the contents, I verify anything that goes out and document. Then I figured out he was wanting a wireless adapter and opens a case therefore holding my funds. He keeps sending email after email but when I told him I bought the part and was sending it, he ignored me for 2 days, then he tells me he bought it for $18.00, I paid $4.00 and I realize he is wanting a wireless adapter which DOES NOT come included and so I sent him the specs showing it does not come with a wireless adapter. I told him at first I would gladly refund him but he wants to keep it, he now has made revisions and is using it. He had sent me dozens of emails to the point of being harrassing. I reported this a few times to ebay, I am at my witts end, if I block him I'll be to blame but even though he says he's keeping it what do I do if he now says he doesn't want it but he's made revisions and now it's completely used making it useless to me. ebay does not acknowledge this and my funds are held. What can I do to protect myself, I know ebay said they will read the mails, and I hope they do as he was foul and demanding and down right unreasonable. When I told him I would refund him and send him a label he instead bought a part without my knowledge and tried to charge me and the part cost more than I sold the item for? How can I protect myself from this scam and not get a bad feedback and if ebay let's him get away with this, then he will do this again, I hadn't noticed (my bad) that he was a first time buyer, no transactions except I believe this isn't his first go round. But if he wins, this will be a fun way for him to get away with alot of free items and putting sellers at risk of dealing with him.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Help With Buyer Who Changed His Mind

He admitted to altering the product.  He just nullified his ebay protection.

If he opens a case, call ebay and ask that they close it in your favor while you remain on the phone as item has been altered.

And stop all further communications with him.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Why is ebay holding your funds as you do not look like a new buyer and I am assuming he has not opened a case yet.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

What emerald40 said. ^

This buyer sounds like a scammer. Report him, for any and every policy violation. And then Block him.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

blocking will only stop him from buying from you,as you are in a transaction emails are not blocked.Do not engage him reply if you feel you must w simple return for refund.If he does not upload tracking for return in 5 business days call ebay and have case closed in your favor.

He can not charge you for the part.

If you get item back revised file mail fraud and police report then use report buyer for misuse of returns

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

Why is ebay holding your funds as you do not look like a new buyer and I am assuming he has not opened a case yet.

"Then I figured out he was wanting a wireless adapter and opens a case therefore holding my funds."

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@craigscountry wrote:

Then I figured out he was wanting a wireless adapter and opens a case therefore holding my funds.

{snip}

The unit came with the power adapter, but I told him I would buy one and send it to him knowing he already had it

{snip}

I told him at first I would gladly refund him but he wants to keep it

First, what kind of case did he open?

Second, it was a mistake to buy him a free part if you knew he already had it. By doing so, from eBay's perspective you have tacitly conceded that the item was indeed missing parts.

Third, if you were willing to refund him, just refund him and end it.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I have and thank you, I was afraid I would get dinged by ignoring him! But the emails were endless and thank you for answering kindly instead of making me feel like an idiot! Kudos and thanks!

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

No, I am a seller and have been for two years, not alot but the buyer is the one abusing the policies and he is the first time buyer, no transactions at least under that name.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

First, I offered to buy the part to get rid of him and keep a perfect feedback, in my email I stated this to him that I knew he had the part and I would send it anyways to get rid of him. So it is documented.  Case is for a refund. I guess you did not read the part where he will not return it, I am not giving it away for free, I offered to refund but I will NOT refund as he has made revisions and is using the unit, that would be more than stupid.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Let me ask, not to sound stupid, but he's made it clear he's keeping it by making revisions and buying parts. If I buy the return shipping will I also be refunded for that, because he is not going to return it, he's made that clear by buying parts for it and has finally quit communicating with me? Thank you for your help. Well, I'm going to block him anyways as I do not want to ever sell to him again, he's a first time buyer (at least under that alias which I doubt, he's done this before I believe) but I wish we had a place where we could post fraudulent buyers. And I wish ebay would incorporate chat, to talk to the folks on the phone is a bit rough sometimes and I get no phone reception in the sticks here. Thank you again!

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Thank you!!!!! I did report him but to no avail. And definitely blocking, I don't want to deal with this scammer ever again, fortunately it's only the third time I've come across one of these deals and he's tried so hard to get any and everything he can, now he's just blocked. 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Click return for refund, and let ebay send the return label. You aren't charged unless it's used.