cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Haven't been on ebay in a while... Need some assistance on Selling

So like the title says, I haven't sold anything on ebay in a year or so.  Used to be a big seller back in the day, but my life has gotten busy so I don't really mess with it anymore.  Was wanting to list a few things I have around the house, nothing serious, probably less then $200 worth.  I have a paypal account still, but I never have given my social security (even though they have asked for it in the past) on it nor do I ever want to.  But now I am seeing that you cannot use your balance to pay for ebay shipping payments (or buy anything) unless you supply a social security, is that what I reading right?  And if you buy something, you cant get your refund back unless you provide it.  Is this correct?

Can someone shed some light on this please and any other ebay/paypal information I am missing?

Thanks

"Ebay promotions are like drugs, the first one is free..... then they try to get you hooked on the FEES!"
Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Haven't been on ebay in a while... Need some assistance on Selling

RUN>>>>> IM TELLING YOU< RUN
Message 16 of 24
latest reply

why not have a garage or yard sale ,maybe even CL first? at least yo don`t have to worry about returns /seller fee`s/ and shipping stuff.
Message 17 of 24
latest reply

Interesting...  The reason I asked about the PayPal balance is the e-mail I received states in the heading, "Action required: Confirm your info to keep a PayPal Balance".

I was just wondering what would happen if I did not confirm my info.?  What would happen to my balance?

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

That is the scenario I said is unclear - the way they worded the emails and help pages, and the fact that they didn't explicitly cover the possibility that someone with a personal account would refuse to verify makes it difficult to determine.

My read on it is that if you have a personal account, and are not verified, any funds coming in would go into your current PayPal account balance, but you can't touch it. You can't spend it or pay for anything like eBay labels with it. It will just sit there until you manually transfer to a linked bank account.

Call PayPal and find out. I didn't ask about that specifically when I called to get manually verified because I need/want ny PayPal account to continue working the way it does now with my funds being spendable.
Message 19 of 24
latest reply

Good morning, all.

I just wanted to chime in here on the end.

If you are interested in the reason for the change, here is a link to the CFPB (Consumer Financial Protection Bureau) page that details the ruling:

https://www.consumerfinance.gov/prepaid-rule/

The ruling does not just affect PP, but all pre-paid accounts.

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 20 of 24
latest reply

@vlf7777 wrote:

Interesting...  The reason I asked about the PayPal balance is the e-mail I received states in the heading, "Action required: Confirm your info to keep a PayPal Balance".

I was just wondering what would happen if I did not confirm my info.?  What would happen to my balance?

My guess is that they would hold it until you did.  But why not just verify your information.  What is the issue with doing that?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 21 of 24
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@vlf7777 wrote:

My guess is that they would hold it until you did.  But why not just verify your information.  What is the issue with doing that?

Because some people don't feel comfortable with giving their social security number to paypal.  They are not a bank or a financial institution.  They are basically a money transfer service not regulated the same way as banks and credit unions.

"Ebay promotions are like drugs, the first one is free..... then they try to get you hooked on the FEES!"
Message 22 of 24
latest reply

@jamvanunlimited wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@vlf7777 wrote:

Because some people don't feel comfortable with giving their social security number to paypal.  They are not a bank or a financial institution.  They are basically a money transfer service not regulated the same way as banks and credit unions.

But ... that's what this is about. There has been a change in consumer protection for "pre paid" accounts and cards.

PayPal is requiring your information to comply with the new Federal regulations.

https://www.consumerfinance.gov/prepaid-rule/

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

@jamvanunlimited wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@vlf7777 wrote:

And that is their choice to make.  But if they don't, they can't offer PP as a payment option if they are going to sell on the internet or elsewhere.  PP just doesn't have a choice.  They have to abide by the IRS rules.  But you do have a choice.  You don't have to provide them with your SSN and in turn you can't use or offer PP as a payment option on anything you sell anywhere.  It isn't more complicated than that.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 24 of 24
latest reply