cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have Ridiculously High Counter Hits on One Item....

Good morning! I've been selling on eBay for fifteen years, and generally sell the same type of collectible item.  Because of this, I have a fairly tight circle of repeat bidders, with new bidders coming and going all the time.  The other day I looked at my listings and noticed that one of my items, which isn't particularly rare or interesting, has nearly (400) views on the hit counter.   This is completely unusual, since most of my items will get 40-50 views throughout the course of an auction, with a rare item getting closer to (100) hits.  I thought it was a glitch, but the numbers have been rising all weekend.  I don't promote my auctions on interest or Facebook or any outside sources, so what in the world could be making this one item so popular?  (And it doesn't have any bids or watchers, so it's obviously just getting views).   Thanks in advance!

Brenda

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@onesmallblonde

If you go into manage my store and look at the lower left hand side under reports you will see one called traffic.  I have recently been using this to see where my looks have been coming from.  It may not give you the reason for that 1 specific item but it does list by Search drive terms and then another column that shows referring domain.  That might give you an idea of where your impressions or views or whatever are coming from.   Mine currently shows that 68000 impressions came from Ebay.com and then another 7000 came from the community boards and so on.

Ther results are for the last 30 days and if nothing else they might give you an idea of where some of you business has been coming from.

Hope this is not totally useless information but it is something I just ran across about a week ago so thought I would mention it.

David

Twnpopcards

View Best Answer in original post

Message 14 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

I don't promote my auctions on interest or Facebook or any outside sources,

but someone else can..........do a google search for it and see if anything turns up on pintrest or the like.  We've had it happen on a couple of things.........

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Occasionally eBay's counters go wacky.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Describe it as if there are no pictures.
Take pictures as if there is no description.
Message 3 of 20
latest reply

I usually have at least one a month which picks up weirdly beyond the norm views (then go unsold lol)

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

@onesmallblonde

"We Are Not Alone ... in this Universe" 

-

Lucas

*still rollin' with the punches*

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Guess what makes it truly interesting is that no one yet has bid on it - it's a good price too!
Message 6 of 20
latest reply

I believe it is the word "Gold" being found in searches and drawing people in. Being the first word is probably helping.... I notice there are no watchers with almost 400 views. If there was normally that amount of interest there would be some watchers, so it may be buyers actually looking for something else and check your item out..... just a guess.

There was never yet an uninteresting life. Such a thing is an impossibility. Inside of the dullest exterior there is a drama, a comedy and a tragedy.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Wow...love your collection!

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

@ebbyisme wrote:

I believe it is the word "Gold" being found in searches and drawing people in. Being the first word is probably helping.... I notice there are no watchers with almost 400 views. If there was normally that amount of interest there would be some watchers, so it may be buyers actually looking for something else and check your item out..... just a guess.

I agree with dhbookds that it is likely someone recently posted that auction listing on a blog or social media site.

This happened to me two years ago... I had a high school yearbook listed on eBay and one time I noticed a huge jump in views (over 500).  I did some Googling and found out it was on the blog from the local town newspaper, posted by the beat writer.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Thanks everyone, for your suggestions and comments.  The counter continues to rise and yet still no watchers or bidders.  I did some searching and don't see any obvious hits for it on Google, so who knows, but most of what you said all makes sense!  Maybe that little dish will get snipers at the end and it will sell for millions and I can quit my teaching job.  🙂  

Have a great week!

Brenda

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Happens from time to time  - I have one item that has been listed 3-4 times and always gets 75-150 hits yet never sells - similar items rarely get more than 20 hits. 

I have one fixed price item on my other account with 138 hits in less than a week - also not a rare collectible - I doubt that it will sell.   . 

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Thanks for the nice comment--you made my day!  🙂

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Somehow, you remind me of Jane Sibbett, if you know who that is.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 13 of 20
latest reply

@onesmallblonde

If you go into manage my store and look at the lower left hand side under reports you will see one called traffic.  I have recently been using this to see where my looks have been coming from.  It may not give you the reason for that 1 specific item but it does list by Search drive terms and then another column that shows referring domain.  That might give you an idea of where your impressions or views or whatever are coming from.   Mine currently shows that 68000 impressions came from Ebay.com and then another 7000 came from the community boards and so on.

Ther results are for the last 30 days and if nothing else they might give you an idea of where some of you business has been coming from.

Hope this is not totally useless information but it is something I just ran across about a week ago so thought I would mention it.

David

Twnpopcards

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Thanks David....it's amazing how much information is on the eBay site if you're willing to dig multiple layers to get to it.  I had no idea that something like this even existed--very interesting!

Message 15 of 20
latest reply