cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone made a serious offer to buy eBay?

Has anyone like Sandhills Global (HiBid) ever offered to buy eBay? Since auction companies stopped having in person auctions and are now putting those items on HiBid, that's got to be siphoning off billions of dollars from what was once a section of the eBay market? Sandhills has gobbled up dozens of other online platforms, so I was just wondering?

Another question is, how can eBay make up for this lost income? I used to be able to go to a local auction 7 days a week, and now it's down to about 2.5 a week. That's a drop of 60% in an auction market that many sellers used to use to obtain products to resell on eBay. That's a big hit to buyers, sellers and eBay!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

It kind of depends on what area of the country you are in. Live in person auctions are still quite popular in some areas of the country while in others they have transitioned to online auctions. There are at least a dozen online auction companies in my general area that I check weekly for sourcing opportunities. Unfortunately they have also become a popular venue for a LOT of people. 

I have seen items sell on online auctions for 2-3 times what I could obtain the same item for at a BIN price on eBay. A lot of sellers say the auction format is dead and it may well be on eBay but that is not the case everywhere. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I just went to that hiBid site. Ebay has nothing to fear.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Ebay would probably be the one doing the gobbling up of Hibid. I could see that happening.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Auctions are about 12% of eBay's listings, and many of those are DOA. Somehow I'm not seeing that as an attractive buy for Hibid.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Is that site still up?

Went to check it got a Bad Gateway page.

Have a great day
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

No, I have never made a serious offer to buy ebay.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I just went to that hiBid site. Ebay has nothing to fear. 

Try this one. Virtually no limitations on what you can buy through the site. I have purchased a number of firearms through this company. They handle the required paperwork and shipping. 

https://rasmus.com/ 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I have no doubt there have been a few companies have considered a takeover of eBay but as far as I know there has never been a solid offer or even a query if an offer would be considered.

One would need deep pockets, eBay has a market cap of about 25B and eBay is not one of these high flying tech companies that have huge market caps and relatively very little actual profit (Amazon, etsy, Wayfair, Overstock etc. etc. etc.). At a minimum +/- 50B would be needed and I would not at all be surprised if it would be higher.

As far as siphoning, right now it's PDD (Temu) that is taking the lions share, not just from eBay of course, probably less that what they are taking from Amazon. They actually have the money muscle to buy out eBay but I'm pretty sure they want to build their own from the ground up.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply