cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP ME UNDERSTAND SELLER'S LOW SHIPPING COST!

Doing research this morning on Men's Blazers/Sportcoats, I use to sell a lot of these & did fairly well, lately seems like the bottom has fallen out of that market, so I am trying to understand why!

What I found is a lot of these blazers listed with really low shipping cost. Almost any men's blazer weighs more than 1# and sometimes over 2#. The best way I have found to ship is in a USPS Sch A box which runs about $9-10 across country. Of course if in my town or next state might be a little less. I also realize you can sometimes jam a jacket into a USPS padded envelope for $6.30 + eBay FV ship fee which brings the cost up to $6.93. But there are lots of sellers with shipping costs listed at less prices than these, like $3.95, etc.

There are even some at $.99 with free shipping....which I realize can be loss-leaders if you are a big seller, or even a mistake, (of which I have occasionally done also when lowering the cost on something and not realizing it had FS in the listing,) but taking a $10 loss on shipping on a $10 or less price, doesn't seem very practical to me, even as a loss-leader!  So...how do they do that?

Are they cheating USPS by using Media Mail?

Taking a loss on shipping by stating it at lower than their cost, trying to be more competitive?

Unknowledgeable about real shipping costs?

Know something I don't know?

Or just stupid?

Any thoughts on this subject?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Pretty much all/any of the above (plus maybe using their employer's shipping account)

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I jam in padded FRs and charge $6.50, buyers don't seem to mind.

A lot of newbie sellers don't really understand how much it really costs to ship so I think that first.  Then the scamming the PO thought, especially if they are an experienced seller with lots of listings that have low ship costs.  Then comes the folding it into the original price like I do for less than a buck.

And I am going through mens jackets on the other site like they are Halloween costumes, which is how I am listing a lot of them.  Other than that, after a lot of research I have hit on the secret sweet spot for mens jackets, I'm doing pretty well with them.

I do not understand how any internet seller that thinks loss leaders are a smart way to sell on the net.  Because the listings are seen seperate and you don't have to unter the store to buy, thinking that is going to get buyers to look is way too hopeful.  The buyer will buy first, especially if the seller has free shipping, and then maybe check out the sellers store to see if they have any other mistakes in there.

(*Bleep*)
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

If the bottom really has fallen out of that market, then dumping stale merchandise aka dead stock for pennies or less is probably cheaper than paying someone to haul the stuff away.

Or else the seller is attracting quantity buyers or those also interested in more profitable items via eBay or other sources.

~~C~~

My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

If we wanted to take the time, I think many of us could find shipping costs we don't understand or prices we don't understand.  Unless I plan to buy from that seller, I really don't care.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

are the 99 cents with free shipping listing-auction style?

are you sure they are selling jacket or picture of a jacket>

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@lookng2015 wrote:

Pretty much all/any of the above (plus maybe using their employer's shipping account)

I think you are correct about some "using their employer's shipping account".  I had seen someone who works at a law firm.  She sells 2 packs of Hammermill paper for $9.99 shipping included.  She had over 100 packs to sell from time to time.  Shipping is more than the sales price.  I suspect she is selling her employer's paper and using her employer's shipping account.  In addition, she sells toners from time to time for commercial copy machines as well.  Makes me wonder ......

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

How do I ship everything for free?

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

You're wondering aloud if your competitors are dishonest or stupid.  Bad start.   

Maybe they're smart.  Start with that. 

1) Sellers don't have to "charge" what it "costs" to ship things on eBay.   Duh.   Half of eBay is on on Free Shipping.  Almost all Sellers have to pay for their shipping.

2) You fail to explain your examples.  $0.99 with Free Shipping sure sounds like the Starting Price for an Auction.  Yet you don't explain the listing or provide a link.

I'm done.

Typos courtesy of Lithium.
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@duchess-at-speakeasy wrote:
If the bottom really has fallen out of that market, then dumping stale merchandise aka dead stock for pennies or less is probably cheaper than paying someone to haul the stuff away.

Or else the seller is attracting quantity buyers or those also interested in more profitable items via eBay or other sources.

~~C~~

I’ve done it. Just to get rid of it. Never at a loss tho.

But I’ve broken even only on some “doggies” 😩

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@sam9876 wrote:

How do I ship everything for free?

You’re a conundrum wrapped in an enigma sprinkled with magic.

I’m not going to even ask about insurance.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply