cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HAVING TROUBLE GIVING AWAY MONEY

thought it would be easy to give some of my hard earned $$$,to texas.......still looking.going to pp now

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: HAVING TROUBLE GIVING AWAY MONEY

I am going to make my donation with tunnels to towers.  All donations will be sent/used w/o administration fees. 

https://tunnel2towers.org/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw557NBRC9y8T22sWGzesBEiQAcm9VUyzMsMeZdOWEorFAMQBt9LwoS_H2Vle...

When Hugo occurred in '89, the Red Cross was at my place of employment asking for donations.  When I asked what percentage would go to the victims, I could not get a direct answer and I refused to make a donation.  Management was not happy with me because they wanted 100% donations from the employees.  

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

I did mine directly to the Humane Society..

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

@postingid2017 wrote:

I am going to make my donation with tunnels to towers.  All donations will be sent/used w/o administration fees. 

https://tunnel2towers.org/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw557NBRC9y8T22sWGzesBEiQAcm9VUyzMsMeZdOWEorFAMQBt9LwoS_H2Vle...

When Hugo occurred in '89, the Red Cross was at my place of employment asking for donations.  When I asked what percentage would go to the victims, I could not get a direct answer and I refused to make a donation.  Management was not happy with me because they wanted 100% donations from the employees.  

I donate platelets every two weeks at the Red Cross.  But I will not donate anything else, other than volunteer time after the hurricane/tsunami that hit the Pacific and the Red Cross kept saying just send us money and nothing else, we will buy the water and blankets once we get there.  Most of the area was poor and all of it was wiped out for almost 100 miles.  But Australia had brought over and installed water filtration systems within hours of the water hit, while the Red Cross lets airplanes with food in them sitting on the runways a week later.

While the money being raised is heartwarming, it won't touch what needs to be done.  I'd bet that at least a quarter million homes that were in the path will have to be leveled and that insurance will probably find a way to weasel out of paying those that need it.  What the people are going to need are homes and jobs and relocation is about the only way that is going to happen.

(*Bleep*)
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Retrose..

I owe my life to platelet donours...I had Guillen-Barre Syndrome which required a fresh batch..and battle ITP daily..

Repect too you...and others..

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

That is still true about the Red Cross. I am in the Harvey zone. it isnt pretty. Thanks for even considering donating.
RRR
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Good for you, KUDOS!!!! I have been a volunteer in disaster areas, I would NOT recommend donating to either the Red Cross OR Salvation Army. Too much of their donations are used for behind door "expenses" and organizational "management", it is a disgrace for those in the trenches that know how vital help is needed asap, and they just do not deliver as they should at the scene. There are so many scam funds out there now too, any disaster brings out the parasites in droves.  Pre-existing area Churches and shelters are a pretty good donation avenue and their info can usually be found online or on Facebook, those are the ones that I have found are on the job and make the REAL difference, and actually do what is needed  100%. Also the heros of local businesses ( Diners, restaurants, hardware stores, etc.... if you see where they are mentioned/proven as providing food and supplies to the victims,  that is another great avenue to donate to, so they can continue to do more, as their resources are limited. Thank you for your kind heart!

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Walmart is matching donations up to $10 million to the Red Cross and $2 million to the Hurricane Har...

They're sending over 1000 truckloads of items to the area, including 930 truckloads of water.

Other companies are donating as well: https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/29/companies-are-pitching-in-to-help-hurricane-harvey-relief-efforts.ht...

I notice Amazon is donating $1 million...you would think they could squeeze out a bit more unamused

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Agreed.especially when they get free PR and tax incentives for their donations. Not dissing them totally, every bit is needed and appreciated, and the system is what it is. But when I have been up for over 24 or more hours, dirty, freezing or sweating,  muscles so sore I can't tell which one hurts more, shoving emotions to the celler in a box in my mind to keep going.....and it's the local Ma & Pa lunchenette that has soup and fresh biscuits ready for us, pushing us to eat the food made and paid for out of their pocket and good hearts, that they really can't afford to give away,  but they do it anyway and gladly, and then the locals bring over bags full of their own  pantries groceries to  donate and pitch in, so the lunchenette can throw together a stone soup meal..... that's who some of the true heroes are....people have no idea how awesome the un-named really are! I do, and they are the real heart and soul of this country.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Bob, my heart goes out to you and to everyone who needs and is getting your help.  I am in northern Indiana and we have churches that are sending busloads to you, a BBQ business that is road tripping their truck to feed you and I believe that our National Guard is headed your way.

Back in the 80s our city was flooded (Reagan came and held a sandbag for a minute in a photo op) and the devastation of the flood is bad, but then it recedes and you see the different devastation that is left that you have to clean up and that takes months if not years to deal with.  I've bagged and worked and volunteered at all our floods, and sometimes you just keep taking one step forward and eventually you see light at the end of the tunnel.

I have a lot of platelets, the Red Cross loves me because I donate once and help 3, I'm glad they might have helped you emerald.  My mom was universal donor and she used to give until they just would not take a 65 year old on meds anymore.  Bad joke, but helping is in my blood.

(*Bleep*)
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Just a quick comment:  Red Cross Disaster and Red Cross Blood Services are two separate organizations under the Red Cross "umbrella."

(I don't know the official names.)

We had a dear, dear friend and neighbor who was CEO of the Southern Red Cross Blood Services Division after retiring from a long and distinguished Army career.   Parachuting as a Green Beret instructor through clouds of Agent Orange finally caught up with him and he died of various cancers.

I miss him still. 

To the OP - you have received many wonderful suggestions.  Just google Harvey disaster relief and you'll be able to see the many organizations that will use your money well.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

As far as "stuff" goes, infrastructure can be a problem.  After Katrina we had literally thousands of tons of "stuff" come in and no way to get it to where it needed to go. You can't drive a truck over washed out roads.  Heavy equipment - bulldozers, backhoes, tractors, etc - were in dire need first to clear the roads. Of course, if the road is washed away...same thing with railroads.

Sometimes cash is the best thing, since it can be used for exactly what is needed. A lot of stuff will have to be air lifted in. Planes and helicopters cost money to run.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

JJ Watts has set up a huge (grows hourly) fund raiser. He is a houstonian and his money will go to the families and no other people.  Its awesome the way people are coming through for us and other counties. Beaumont, Port Arthur, Rockport, Pasadena, Dickenson, Kemah the list is to large to write. Just know there are millions who will need help. Most of the flooding came in zones where flood insurance wasnt needed. No flooding over 500 years in those areas. Luckily we are safe with no water. I feel blessed and guilty at the same time. And I understand Oregon is burning? SMH MN is really mad right now for some reason. 

RRR
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

As far as "stuff" goes, infrastructure can be a problem.  After Katrina we had literally thousands of tons of "stuff" come in and no way to get it to where it needed to go. You can't drive a truck over washed out roads.  Heavy equipment - bulldozers, backhoes, tractors, etc - were in dire need first to clear the roads. Of course, if the road is washed away...same thing with railroads.

Sometimes cash is the best thing, since it can be used for exactly what is needed. A lot of stuff will have to be air lifted in. Planes and helicopters cost money to run.

I gave cash even though I do worry about administrative and fundraising expenses sucking up the money.  I figure the people on the ground will know the immediate needs. If it's a plane or truck to get supplies in, good.  My  husband gave to a charity that supplies diapers.

I see no news about whether a lot of workplaces have been damaged. Will people have to just move away?

Message 15 of 16
latest reply