cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HALF.COM

If Half.com is closing on August 31st, why did they send me an email today encouraging me to list books.  And I can list for 30 days!

Thanks!

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

HALF.COM

I'll take: 

Automated, computer generated emails they forgot to cancel.

For $200. Alex.

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

HALF.COM

I'll take: 

Automated, computer generated emails they forgot to cancel.

For $200. Alex.

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

HALF.COM

I think we have a winner Alex!  @pikabo-icu

Made me laugh and I needed that!

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

HALF.COM

@izziben wrote:

If Half.com is closing on August 31st, why did they send me an email today encouraging me to list books.  And I can list for 30 days!

Thanks!

eBay corporate office as usual forgot to tell the eBay underlings, that Half is shut down.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

HALF.COM

I had no idea until this morning that it was closing.  I am so sad.  It takes much more time to list on ebay.  What is everyone else going to do?

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

HALF.COM

I'd like to know what everyone is going to do too! Thanks all
Message 6 of 22
latest reply

HALF.COM

I closed my sales on Half.com months ago when I kept getting hit by dropshippers.  It was right about that time that I noticed that many of the other small sellers began to vanish, too.  After awhile, it looked like there wasn't much left but dropshippers. 

What I'm worried about is copying my Wishlist.  I always liked that feature on Half.com, and I still purchased there first when I was hunting books.  Shame really.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

HALF.COM

It is a shame really.  I would suggest, if you haven't already, become a member of Paperbackswap.   I list all my books (hardcover mostly), people buy (swap), I pay for shipping.  But if I request one, they pay the shipping.  

I'm really looking for a place just like Half that I can make a couple of dollars with all the books we have in our house!

Thanks for your response.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

HALF.COM

Thanks for the tip!  I'll check that out.  I suspect that the bookshelves in my house are holding up the walls.....there are even shelves in the hallway.  I guess you could say I have a few books. 

If I'm just looking for books or researching prices, I always use Bookfinder but they link to sellers all over the web.  Might be a good way of researcing sites, too.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

HALF.COM

And thanks for your tip!  You made me chuckle, our basement bookshelves are holding up our house!    Happy reading!

Elaine

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

HALF.COM

Well, that's just wonderful. I go today to Half.com, only to get a notice that it is closed and then redirects to eBay. That is when I searched eBay to find out what happened. I have been selling on Half for years, but I got no emails at all (checked all the way back to the 1st of June) in any of my email addresses, in any folder, absolutely nothing. Likewise no notices at all when I went on the site over the Summer, so very professional of them.

I remember when eBay tried to close Half a few years ago and force everyone over to eBay. But then, after crippling the site, they relented and kept Half open, but the wounded site was never the same. Then eBay decided since Half was not generating sufficient income that they would increase their fees from 15% to 25%, a sure way to kill a business. I removed over 90% of my inventory since there was no way to make money with them anymore selling at the lowest price with the highest costs.

It is too bad that eBay wasted their money so many years ago when they bought Half.com as a site that could compete with Amazon and then did absolutely nothing with it.

RIP Half.com.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

HALF.COM

I am irritated that my wish list is gone. They are not truthful that there were notices.  I think they have completely lost a customer.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

HALF.COM

What a great answer.  Sums it up entirely!

Have you taken your books elsewhere?  I'd be interested in what you are doing.

Thanks again!

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

HALF.COM

I got my letter in June (the 16th)... but I had pulled my listings from there back in 2014 when I started playing with the catalog... I kinda figured it was coming... specially when eBay got flooded with those "cookbooks".

I hate photobucket right now... PS Answers given years ago may or may not be current now, please check with current posters to the boards to see if the information is still relevant.
Message 14 of 22
latest reply

HALF.COM

For those who are ticked that their Half.com wishlist disappeared, go through your email to see if you have any "wish list update" emails.  I had one and printed it out so I have a physical copy that includes at least the majority of what I had stored.  Hopefully that alleviates the pain somewhat!

Message 15 of 22
latest reply