cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good news - HTML option in listing page has been simplified

The warning about "keep it simple" is gone and we just need one click to access the HTML format.

I found out today and it was a nice surprise. Less clicks and faster listings.

Thank you eBay team!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

HUZZAH!

I use HTML to make my Descriptions stand out on the screen- just a pale blue background nothing fancy- and even that I have set up as a template.

I highly recommend using some coding to help buyers find your descriptions.

You may even look at it as a form of branding.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Those who use HTML in descriptions may want to take a look at some recent threads about how eBay determines whether or not your description is hidden behind a "See full description" link in the eBay app.

TLDR: if you want your description to show in the app without the buyer having to click through, stick with the default basic format.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/interesting-ebay-app-hides-seller-description-but-shows-AI/m-p...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/ebay-Secret-Revealed-How-to-make-sure-your-full-description/td...

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

Those who use HTML in descriptions may want to take a look at some recent threads about how eBay determines whether or not your description is hidden behind a "See full description" link in the eBay app.

TLDR: if you want your description to show in the app without the buyer having to click through, stick with the default basic format.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/interesting-ebay-app-hides-seller-description-but-shows-AI/m-p...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/ebay-Secret-Revealed-How-to-make-sure-your-full-description/td...

On my phone Samsung S22 Android almost all listings sit behind the description link no matter if there is HTML or not.  From a brief look at one with plain text I see the HTML code for the description is an <iFrame> element which is essentially an HTML page unto its own, that's what iFrames are or "Invisible Frame."

eBay does that so the elements in sellers description don't foul the rest of the page, they can constrain the height and width of the frame.  If content is longer/wider than the frame and the elements within are static defined the scroll bars will appear.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@retro_entertainment_collectibles  just because you see *some* HTML doesn't negate what I said - iframes are not the HTML I'm talking about.

I'm specifically referring to when you are creating the description in the listing flow - whether you use the default settings in the "simple" editor or change font, size, color or do additional customization with the HTML editor will impact whether or not your description is displayed or hidden behind the "see full description" link when viewed in the app (not mobile browser).

I'd suggest reading those threads I linked. Several sellers tested it and eBay community staff also confirmed with the design team.

Sellers who like to use those advanced options to customize their listings on desktop may not be aware that it could be impacting the way their listings display in the app.

There are of course tradeoffs and every seller will have to determine if it is worth it for their business, but with mobile usage increasing for many buyers, it might be worth testing a few with the plain default settings to see if it helps conversion.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

HUZZAH!

I use HTML to make my Descriptions stand out on the screen- just a pale blue background nothing fancy- and even that I have set up as a template.

I highly recommend using some coding to help buyers find your descriptions.

You may even look at it as a form of branding.

would be great and useful, unfortunately, pointless on ebay mobile. They hide the entire description on mobile, so much so you have look twice sometimes or scroll right pass the "See Sellers Full Description" dropdown tab. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply