cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Til Cancelled

Greetings All:

I see from the new seller update preview, all fixed price items will have the duration of Good Til Cancelled, renewing automatically every 30 days & will be counted as one of the 50 free listings.

I mostly sell items from downsizing, items no longer needed, unwanted gifts, etc. ... very low level selling, but I can have 50 or so items listed at a time, however. If selling an item, say winter boots, I would usually just keep relisting & if the item did not sell around April I would just let it age off and offer it again sometime in the fall.

Now w/ the new GTC it will require me to cancel an item before it can renew so I don't go over the 50 item free because the items relist themselves even if I don't want to sell it at that time. This new GTC feature is touted as a good thing, but it doesn't seem that way to me, more like a hardship because now I have to monitor end times. Am I missing something here?

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Good Til Cancelled

No, you're not missing anything. This is eBay's way of squeezing out small sellers by making it cost prohibitive for them to use this as a sales platform. The little people who were with eBay from the beginning are no longer needed by EBay, who thinks they're somehow going to compete with Amazon. They are going to do away with the small time sellers who make this site unique. EBay used to be the place where you could find obscure collectibles, but now they're only interested in mainstream selling. It's certainly not what it used to be. Good luck with your sales and sorry. I hope you are able to continue in a way that is affordable and beneficial to you.
Message 2 of 27
latest reply

Good Til Cancelled

I agree with you that this new feature is going to be a big nuisance! I also am a small seller and use the 50 free items per month, as well as any additional free listings that ebay often offers.  Some of my items take some time to sell,  and paying a listing fee just doesn't pencil out for me due to the low prices I set.  In addition, I often travel and don't want items to sell while I'm gone, so I time when the listings will end to stop before my trips.  Now I will have to keep track of buy-it-now listings and manually end them so they don't continue.  What a pain!  

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

Good Til Cancelled

I am vehemently opposed to eBay's announced new policy change that all fixed price listings will now by good until cancelled.  Once again, eBay in their greed is trying to fleece more money out of their direct customers.   I sell one of a kind items.  Many of my sales are shortly after a new listing appears and then just before the listing expires.  If an item hasn't sold in 30 days, it probably won't sell in another 30 days and another 30 days again.  I find it better (and less costly in listing fees) to allow the listing to expire and then list it several months when it will be "fresh" again.  I almost never re-list my items and would find it disadvantageous for eBay to automatically re-list all my expired listings--just so that they can collect additional listing fees.  To meet my needs, I will have to cancel my all my listings just before they are about to expire and just before last minute buyers are about to take action!  It also means that I have to sit by my computer and watch carefully when each of my hundreds of listings each month is expiring.  More time spent selling on eBay with no additional return!

I hope other sellers feel that they are disadvantaged by this sudden change and that many will let eBay know how they feel. 

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

Good Til Cancelled

To me, the only difference it will make is that instead of monitoring end times to relist things/decide whether I want to relist things the way I do now, I will be monitoring them to decide whether I want to end the listings or keep them going.  If anything, it will mean less work for me in some regards as it will eliminate the need to manually relist things that I want to keep up for sale.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

Good Til Cancelled

well on the flip side it creates more work for some of us and i personally am worried it will cause sales to tank even further because GTC relists cause decreased visibility. 

The lord knows my heart so I ain't trippin' off no church

Positive is the attitude
Negative is not the mood
Message 6 of 27
latest reply

Good Til Cancelled

So how many 31 day months are there? Any FP listings starting or renewing on the 1st renew on the 31st. This will cause a lot of listing fees for those that max out their listing allotments. Not sure if I will like this change or not yet but I will try to avoid 2 renews in a month.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

Good Til Cancelled

SIGN THE PETITION IN THE OTHER THREAD

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

Good Til Cancelled

@prettyinplaid wrote:

well on the flip side it creates more work for some of us and i personally am worried it will cause sales to tank even further because GTC relists cause decreased visibility. 

They don't immediately.  The reduced visibility can happen with time, too many views and not enough sales on the listing [if a multiple qty].  Some are thinking that this is an immediate decreased visibility and it isn't.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 9 of 27
latest reply

Good Til Cancelled

@points13 wrote:

So how many 31 day months are there? Any FP listings starting or renewing on the 1st renew on the 31st. This will cause a lot of listing fees for those that max out their listing allotments. Not sure if I will like this change or not yet but I will try to avoid 2 renews in a month.

It is every 30 days.  The one short month of the year and the other months that have 31 days are not considered.  A GTC lising renews every 30 days.  So as time marches on, the date the listing renews will change over time.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 10 of 27
latest reply

Good Til Cancelled

Thirty days hath September,

April, June, and November.

All the rest have 31, excepting February alone.

In that we have 28 days clear,

and twenty nine in each Leap Year.

So eight months have 31 days each.

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

Good Til Cancelled

This is just a way for them to force us to lose control of our listings and pay a lot of fees. They will lose many sellers! I have many items that require constant listing, but I must remain within free listing limits. Some things take a couple of years to find the right buyers. I am now considering what is inexpensive and not selling quickly, and dropping price or donating, just to clear my listings. They are greedy and will lose many sales as a result of this action.

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

Good Til Cancelled

SIGN THE PETITION

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

Good Til Cancelled

Where is the petition?

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

Good Til Cancelled

look for