cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTC > Duplicate Listing Violation NIGHTMARE

I have 1,000 listings that I rotate, keeping about 875 active at any given point in time.  My organizational method is to group the listings in 30 sets of ~30 listings which I deal with relisting every day.

My inventory is limited.  I have always followed the rule of only listing what I have on hand and ready to ship.  Often, this means selling the last item from a listing that I may have more stock of within a few days, and then relisting that item for a shorter duration until it comes back around for its scheduled 30 day listing.

Now that everything has been changed over to GTC, I can not relist an item until it comes back to its scheduled 30 day listing, or I risk creating havoc and begin racking up Duplicate Listing Violations if I can not find an listing that should be ended on its scheduled 30 day listing date in order to keep it in its group.

I have shoppers asking me about items that sold which I can not relist, or items that I have pulled out of rotation and scheduled to go back up in the future.  Previously, I would have thrown up a 3 day listing for that customer, and maybe one-in-four times, gotten a sale.  The other 3-in-4 times, the short listing ends itself before that item comes back up for it's 30 day listing date, and no harm-no-foul.

In the few weeks I have been forced into GTC, I already have multiple emails from Ebay telling me that my "duplicate listing has been cancelled" and "multiple violations will result in suspension".  I'm inclined to avoid anything that incurs more of these "violations".  Today, I turned down a shopper requesting that I list an item scheduled to go active in May, because there is a 75% chance that I will end up with another Duplicate Listing Violation, and a threatened suspension.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

The GTC is not a policy wherein one size fits all - I agree as I liked to rotate my items and being I often get sales right before they end - I hate having to watch what's ending and end them so they don't relist.

The GTC works fine for some if they don't have inventory that exceeds their store limit and right now I see a lot of sellers in your position - too many items for the Premium store but not enough items for an Anchor store. Sellers have been asking for a new level for years to accommodate sellers such as yourself to no avail.

I'm still rotating but moving items to other platforms that may suit them better so as not to have this problem. In the past I would actually pay to put extra listings up at certain times of the year - but I don't see that happening this year.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

List things from the 7th onward, then you won't run into a double-listing month for over a year.
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

GTC is really a nightmare. Besides problems like you describe, people simply aren't buying items that they see will be around for weeks to come. Sales are down for me and for lots of others.
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

People don't seem to understand that many of us have more inventory than free listings available to us so we rotate our inventory. Doesn't matter when I list my items - once the 250 are used for the month I won't list anything unless one of those 250 sells or I end some of the listings early.

I'm not worried about additional relisting fees as I'm used to paying for extra listings if I feel I have inventory that should sell in a given month due to a holiday - but I refuse to pay Ebay more when they've taken control of my listing duration out of my hands. If they do something where I see the venue growing and am confident that if I upgrade - sales will mitigate the extra cost to have all my inventory listed - I may go that route - but right now with all the changes - I'm not locking myself into a larger store when sales have slowed down as my items are doing very well on a different venue. 

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@89imax 

Do you know anything about multiple quantity listings or the out of stock feature? It sounds like you're a seller who would actually benefit from GTC but you're making things much more complicated than they need to be. GTC isn't for everyone, but in your case I think it would help if you managed your listings in a different way.

There is no reason for a duplicate listing. Change the quantity of the active listing if you have more stock.

Change your listing strategy and you can come out ahead with GTC.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I think all you need to do is go look at ended listings and "resurrect" the old listing with a new quantity on hand and repost that instead of making a whole new listing.
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

What other venues might you suggest?   I am looking as well

this GTC is ridiculous. 

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@bluebutterflycw34 wrote:
people simply aren't buying items that they see will be around for weeks to come.

Your average buyer don't know how long an item will be listed for.

Have a great day
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

you're making things much more complicated than they need to be. 

A lot of people seem to be doing that with GTC.

Have a great day
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@89imax 

To stay out of hot water while you rethink your logistics, I recommend this scanner.

http://www.isdntek.com/ebaytools/DuplicateListings.htm

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@89imax

When you relist, are you relisting or using sell similar?

Have a great day
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

The simple solution which the BRAINIACS at ebay wont do is allow 2 Options  30 day & GTC.   Let the seller pick what they need! SIMPLE and straight forward but they cannot seem to fathom that.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

GTC is going to be FUN!

I didn't log in in time this morning to cancel listings and had 10 listings renew that I did NOT want to be renewed I can't imagine the larger sellers having to baby sit 1000+ listings unless you are selling multiplies.

Good luck to ALL the small sellers out there!
Message 14 of 14
latest reply