cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTC... I MISS BEING BUSY

ANGRY  DEPRESSED  DISCOURAGED DISAPPOINTED  AND BROKE.  ALSO, WHAT'S WITH ALL THE NONE PAYING AUCTION BUYERS?  ALSO, WHAT'S WITH ALL THE TONS OF RETURN REQUESTS AND THEY'RE NOT REALLY RETURNING?  WHAT IS GOING ON???

Message 1 of 55
latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

Re: GTC... I MISS BEING BUSY

Your pictures are great and your prices are reasonable.  I looked at most of your items looking for something to purchase and nothing caught my eye.

Have you tried promoted listings?  I have been using it and my sales are steady.

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 2 of 55
latest reply

Though I don't know anything about your particular merchandise, the last two used clothing purchases I made were on sites competing with eBay ... prices are much lower than I'm finding on eBay, and I can't get eBay sellers to accept best offers that are in line with (a) the prices on these other sites or (b) the prices of recent comparable sales on eBay.

As I mentioned in another thread, some sellers are selling used clothing at 60-75% of what new or new on-sale costs. 

Don't falsely blame GTC for market competition.   The used clothing market has changed dramatically over the last year.

Message 3 of 55
latest reply

I have been buying most of my clothing/shoes from Poshmark

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 4 of 55
latest reply

My son & I both sell on ebay & poshmark. Our sales on ebay are down dramatically and poshmark is normal to slow. We have both talked to ebay customer service & they have suggested refreshing our account but also indicated our listing look good and could find nothing really wrong. Regarding pricing; we price at ebay market and do consider sold item prices. Our sales are off dramatically this month compared to just last month & nothing has changed. My sale are off dramatically from last year & I have much more inventory and I am doing an even better job on my listings, especially pictures. i saw a comment from someone that says they purchase from other competing websites to ebay and ebay prices are too high (ebay only sells 60% to 70% off new pricing). While that may be true in some cases I can guarantee that on designer items ebay pricing is more like 90% to 95% off new pricing in may cases. 

I am frustrated. If other ebayers are not experiencing a significant slow down I am really concerned.

Message 5 of 55
latest reply

I'm a used/new clothing seller as well. I've gone through the disappointment and anger too. My clothing sales were AWESOME before the GTC shiz happened in March. It has nothing to do with other platform competitors. 

Try listing something new (or relist an existing listing) every day or every other day rather than listing numerous items at the same time. It helps. 

Message 6 of 55
latest reply

@frodobagginskennedy wrote:

I have been buying most of my clothing/shoes from Poshmark

Their interface is very good ... I am able to narrow down to what I'm searching for without the clutter of spurious results.  eBay could learn a thing or two or 10 from that site.

Message 7 of 55
latest reply

I agree!  Finding exactly what you want is refreshing vs feebay.  I did a search the other say on Gibson Anniversary Dinnerware and I got Gibson Guitars.  Go figure.

"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 8 of 55
latest reply

Been a member of EBay for many years & purchase quite often and too have been frustrated with EBay search lately.  Many times it picks up on a few key letters/words which has nothing to do with the item actually being searched for and like any shopper I want to narrow searches and find good buys. Even when trying to control the search by setting the low to high dollar searches, now it shows high $$$ sellers showing up on top of the listings ...the sellers paying extra for promotion evidentially? This is frustrating as it takes longer to find items you want and can't understand why that will even work for anyone??? When I shop I look at the the description price + shipping total and reputation of the seller before buying. Unless these sellers have a 1 of a kind item (which then they would not pay to promote anyway!) those trying to buy at a good reasonable price will ignore those higher $ listings and either give up as it takes too much time to wade thru these items and are frustrated because ....why have a option to narrow down searches if it ignores what you want?  Also if I would try to sell, I question if my item at a lower price is even being seen?? Can not see that it would be worth paying extra to sell my item. Trying to keep reasonable priced items doesn't equal paying more to promote it.

Message 9 of 55
latest reply

I just took everything down and now am listing new.  After being on vacation for a few days and returning and putting store back on-line to no sales, no views, no action, I took action.  I really hate this GTC

Message 10 of 55
latest reply

Sales have been down for Just about a year now. It all started when Ebay started pushing free returns, then lost our pictures and we had to redo them. Then again when they started managed payments.  I feel that if you are not playing in Ebay's sand box they find a way to nick you in sales.  Sales for 6 straight were 15 % to 20 % increases then 2 years ago with free returns started 10 % decrease in sales , last year with managed payments 15 % decrease in sales. I have been using the GTC for the entire 8 plus years, so their is more than just that effecting sales. 

Just to add the free shipping supplies favor small and light weight shipping as they have done away with most of their boxes.

Message 11 of 55
latest reply

I wonder if there is something to this.  I went on vacation as well and my troubles started immediately thereafter.

Message 12 of 55
latest reply

Yup, my sales down 70% from last year. Switched to 10 day auctions with starting price at my asking price to avoid GTC fees....My vintage cutlery not really a good auction item...and it shows. Was doing great before GTC requirement. I am now just working my inventory of 200 items down...I sell about 3 items every 10 days now. I have also stopped buying product from my local charity thrift stores, so they are losing out also, ...everybody loses, slimdogslim!
Message 13 of 55
latest reply

Our business dropped dramatically as soon as they went with the GTC. We sold over 1,400,000 last year and as soon as they changed the listings to require GTC our sales dropped off 30-40%. We are losing money now and are going to be looking at other places to sell. I can't believe a business like Ebay that makes a percentage off of its sellers would allow the sales to drop so dramatically and NOT do anything about it. Its not the cost of the goods. We have done nothing differently and have been selling on Ebay for 18 years. Unless Ebay does something quickly we are getting off and Ebay will lose our business.
Message 14 of 55
latest reply

I was just reearching a china pattern titled Morning Mist.  I put it into the search bar Ridgeway Morning Mist dinner plate China and I got fancy gowns.

Go figure.  WHY is this happening?

"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 15 of 55
latest reply