cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustrated by removal of items for "violation of policies" when they are NOT in violation.

I have had two listings in the past month removed for "policy violations" on items that were not in violation. In fact, I used sold item templates for my listings. Customer service told me that they could see that I was not in violation and that I should be able to relist but then got dinged again when I relisted.  Anyone else having this issue?  Any ideas on what to do?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Frustrated by removal of items for "violation of policies" when they are NOT in violation.

Sort of like the old adage “can’t fight city hall”.   In this case “can’t fight AI bots” . Unfortunately customer service may say one thing but they have no control over why a bot is taking down your listings.  You may want to double and triple check all the information you have in the listing and make sure there isn’t want  little tidbit that is triggering all this but, in general relisting is dangerous as you are now under the radar so to speak. Sometimes it is easier to use move them to a different marketplace. 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

NEVER, ever relist an item that was removed for a violation unless you have it in writing that you can relist. (And even then, there's a risk of another violation.) And do not ever trust subcontracted CS to give you accurate information, especially for a violation that can impact your ability to sell!

What was the violation reason? 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

They only go by key words. the bots and customer service reps have no clue what the items are. They only know a list of verboten words.  eBay also keeps a copy of ant pulled listing in your record. Any attempt to relist will only lead to more problems.   Just have to find another venue to sell such items in.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@inmanflyingcircus wrote:

I have had two listings in the past month removed for "policy violations" on items that were not in violation. In fact, I used sold item templates for my listings. Customer service told me that they could see that I was not in violation and that I should be able to relist but then got dinged again when I relisted.  Anyone else having this issue?  Any ideas on what to do?

What policy was violated and what was the item you were trying to list?

Without that information nobody here can reliably advise you of anything.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for the idea.  I had not even considered another marketplace.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

The first was a pair of pants that the Brand identifies as Insect Shield because of the tight weave.   Ebay removed it because it was allegedly in violation of its "pesticides" policy.  The other was a half dollar piece, U.S. currency, that was not graded, and I did not claim that it had been graded. Ebay pulled it claiming it was a replica coin, which it was not.  Photos showed both sides. It was encased in a coin dealer sleeve.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I had a specific item that kept getting pulled stating it was a violation. They were telling me this product wasn't allowed on eBay, even though there was a category for it.

I contacted CS via eBay for business Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness

Click the message icon and give a brief description of your situation. You will be asked to verify yourself.

They don't respond quickly, but they will. You just need to be patient.

I was told not to relist the listing that was pulled, but to do a new listing.

Once a listing is pulled, the bots will watch for it.

I did everything they told me to do and relisted with a new listing.

It was pulled a couple more times, but finally got everything taken care of with the reps on Facebook.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

“Pesticides” that is so eBay. At least FB marketplace lets you respond  and reviews before permanently taking something down.  I had something on Etsy that they told me was counterfeit, they took it down, reviews it and it was back up in 24 hours. eBay tends to be just black and white 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Any ideas on what to do?

Yes, never list that item again no matter what a CSR told you.

ebay uses a sledgehammer for viloations and even if your item isn't in any policy violation I wouldn't trust ebay to fix whatever bot or keyword flagged yours.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

The first was a pair of pants that the Brand identifies as Insect Shield because of the tight weave.   Ebay removed it because it was allegedly in violation of its "pesticides" policy. 

This is not only a problem on Ebay but a problem on Amazon as well.

The solution on Amazon is to take a video training course to sell pesticides and pass an exam..

You should not relist without removing the words that are triggering the violation, in this case "Insect Shield"

Whatever these pants are worth, your account is worth more. Repeat offenders can be shut down.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply