cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freight Forwarding scam still alive

Recently listed an item which specified will only ship to USA.  Figured that would be enough to dissuade international bidders, but that was not to be.  So, I closed the international gateway.  

Low and behold, a bidder from China comes along with a US shipping address in the final minutes and bids.  I did cancel the bids, but didn't block, and he bid again and won the auction.

OK, it's a liitle fishy to be a member in China with a US shipping address, but it happens,  so I figured I'd check it out.  Ebay said the address was confirmed.  Yet, an internet search revealed the address to be a freight forwarder, that has been red flagged for fraud by ebay and Paypal members (70 McCullough Dr, New Castle, DE 19720). 

This just isn't a risk I'm willing to take.  I informed the buyer, canceled the transaction, and blocked him from future transactions.  The buyer then contacts me to say he lives in Oregon 🙂   

From China, to a freight forwarder in DE as his shipping address,  to an OR address that isn't part of his profile.  Yeah, that's a bridge too far.  

Message 1 of 51
latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

Re: Freight Forwarding scam still alive

You are all wrong about defending the freight forwarding scam.
Your seller protection is voided because you haven't a delivery confirmation or signature receipt from the buyer. I tell you why:
The buyer has 180 days (6 Months!) to file a SNAD or not received claim with PAYPAL (not with eBay) and you will get hit with a chargeback.
The buyer resides abroad where he has his PayPal account registered and you can only prove you shipped to the confirmed eBay address in the US, which is different from his PayPal origin payment address.

Big scam. Don't fall for it if you need the money.

Message 46 of 51
latest reply

>>Your seller protection is voided because you haven't a delivery confirmation or signature receipt from the buyer.

Neither eBay not PayPal require that - only delivery confirmation to the address provided at checkout.

>>The buyer has 180 days (6 Months!) to file a SNAD or not received claim with PAYPAL (not with eBay)

That part is right.

>>and you will get hit with a chargeback.

any chargeback will be neutralized and covered by PayPal Seller Protection by providing proof of shipment to the address provided at checkout (not even delivery confirmation - just proof of shipment)

>>The buyer resides abroad where he has his PayPal account registered and you can only prove you shipped to the
>>confirmed eBay address in the US, which is different from his PayPal origin payment address.

Nobody cares what the buyer's "origin payment address" is. Only the address they told the seller to ship to at eBay checkout.
Message 47 of 51
latest reply

If your gut told you to cancel the deal, don't worry. BLOCK the buyer. Relist.. Goodluck.
Message 48 of 51
latest reply

Thread is more than a year old.

Message 49 of 51
latest reply

>>Thread is more than a year old.

And my post that you replied to (re-surfacing the thread) is 2 months old. Smiley Sad
Message 50 of 51
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began, we have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread here.

Thanks.
Message 51 of 51
latest reply