cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud

how can someone haggle a lower price because something doesn’t work, then buy the same item in a listing titled “for parts or repairs only”, then get the item and three weeks later file a return request because the item is “broken”? I have lost two deals in the last two weeks and I stand to lose $48 in shipping over $58 in sales....eBay is ignoring the sellers and letting buyers get away with fraud.....I have long felt eBay wants to get rid of the small sellers who made them what they are....any ideas on how to fight this?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Fraud

Welcome to the phenomenon of internet shoplifting...

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Fraud

@roast2 wrote:

how can someone haggle a lower price because something doesn’t work, then buy the same item in a listing titled “for parts or repairs only”, then get the item and three weeks later file a return request because the item is “broken”? I have lost two deals in the last two weeks and I stand to lose $48 in shipping over $58 in sales....eBay is ignoring the sellers and letting buyers get away with fraud.....I have long felt eBay wants to get rid of the small sellers who made them what they are....any ideas on how to fight this?

One best practice you might want to try: confirm with the buyer that the item is for parts or repair only, either in the discussion about pricing or once they've bought it but before you have shipped it.

In our experience that helps set the standard of what to expect.  Most (especially new) eBay buyers do not read the listing information.  Ebay does the seller no favors - if a buyer purchases through an eBay product page, they may never see your listing's pictures or description.  So it can legitimately be an unwelcome surprise for the buyer to find out that the purchase is actually for parts or repair.  We do this for everything we sell that has any type of significant flaw.  It reduces the number of issues we have to deal with and you would be surprised how often experienced buyers respond saying, "oh I didn't realize it had X flaw cancel the order"....which is fine by us because it means not having to deal with a return later.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Fraud

Yes we need to look out for the pour buyers who dont read. They purchase a item and then 3 or 4 or 10 weeks later they decide "hey this is not right" and Ebay says well heres your money back and as a bonus keep the item free of charge. Please come back and take advantage of the sellers again. And this is all on the seller makes full sense to me.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Fraud

...it seems like a conflict in MBG for a brand-new item and the used one that can only be purchased for parts or repairs only...

...and because of eBay's MBG policy, sellers can not refuse a return request when INAD was the reason...

...as @toysaver mentioned above, the phenomenon of internet shoplifting...in California, B&M stores have to let go freely shoplifters if the stolen goods were under $1,000...evidently, thieves can just conveniently walking to the stores with a bag and wipe off merchandises as much as they wanted if the total of lost was $999.99...do not call cops or security...

...eBay probably won't get rid of small sellers...every penny counts...

Message 5 of 5
latest reply