cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Four out of five auctions didn't make the payment - bad buyers encourage by eBay!

Last week I had 5 auctions ended with buyers...however, 4 of them didn't make the payment. One asked me to cancel the order because "the bid was placed by his roommate". The other three just disappeared after the bidding. I am quite upset for this. I believe they are encouraged by the eBay policy....no matter how they did the seller can't give them negative feedback. Although we can open an unpaid case on eBay, but the unpaid buyers get no punishment. I really don't understand the logic of eBay. Can someone in eBay explain to me??

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Four out of five auctions didn't make the payment - bad buyers encourage by eBay!

When a buyer doesn't pay within 48 hours of the listing/auction, the seller has 32 days to open an unpaid item case in the Resolution Center.

That buyer will have a "strike".  Two strikes in 12 months will mean that most smart sellers do not have to deal with this buyer.

Do you have your restrictions set? 

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Re: Four out of five auctions didn't make the payment - bad buyers encourage by eBay!

I believe they are encouraged by the eBay policy....no matter how they did the seller can't give them negative feedback.

Negative feedback would not discourage them. It takes 30 seconds to create a new eBay buying account and wipe the slate clean.

Although we can open an unpaid case on eBay, but the unpaid buyers get no punishment.

Again, if there were a punishment buyers would simply create a new eBay buying account and wipe the slate clean. 

I really don't understand the logic of eBay. Can someone in eBay explain to me??

The logic is simple. Despite the lack of any protection against non-paying bidders, millions and millions and millions of sellers are still listing billions and billions and billions of item here. So while it may be upsetting you, clearly it is not stopping sellers from using the site.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

List with Buy It Now and they make the payment on the spot. I have not done an auction in about 4 years. Granted, there are items that do well in auctions if you can get the money out of the winner. 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

There are steps we can take as a community to penalize non-paying bidders. There is setting in "Buyer Management" that allows you to block buyers that have non-paying strikes on their record. You can adjust the number of strikes within an adjustable timeframe. If sellers across the board use this feature, habitual non-paying bidders will suffer from restricted buying options on the site.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

It seems you are either misunderstanding this feature or else you have a different eBay.

Any seller can block any buyer for any reason or for no reason at all.

However, the block that eBay offers works like this:  If/when a buyer has two unpaid item cases in a year handled through eBay, than sellers can set their restrictions so that that buyer cannot bid on their listings.

If you found a feature that allows you to adjust that number, please return and tell us how it works.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

When immediate payment becomes mandatory for all ebay transactions, this deadbeat activity will stop.  No other selling platform gives you the option not to pay

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I think that most sellers have their buyer requirements set for 2 strikes in a year but those number do have flexibility as another poster mentioned. You can set the number of strikes from 2-5 and the number of months at 1, 6 or 12 months.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

The majority of your sold auctions are ending with one bid - I would even bother auctioning off most of those items/product lines.  Use fixed price/immediate payment required - you can always run sales.

eBay simply will not enact what just about every other platform does - pay when you win/purchase/offer - they need to get up with the times.  This business of allowing people to tie up merchandise without payment is left over from the old days when people sent checks and money orders.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

auctionpet
Guide

It's possible they didn't realize your in Hong Kong, and upon discovering this, decided they didn't or couldn't wait that long to receive an item. Buyers often only skim a listing and don't notice seller location or ebay fails to make it easy to see that info on mobile devices.  This would be my guess if they were US buyers.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply