cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Found a problem after a sale..buyer doesn't respond

I sold a bedspread on a buy it now and received payment right away. As I was folding the spread to ship I found a repair that was not visible earlier. It was on a chenille spread and was perfectly hidden. I messaged the buyer immediately with a picture and advised I would totally understand if he/she wanted to cancel the sale. I still have not heard back from them. I always ship the day after payment and I state this on my listings. 

Any idea how to proceed? I have until tomorrow at noon when my carrier delivers/picks up.

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Found a problem after a sale..buyer doesn't respond

I always ship the day after payment and I state this on my listings. 

@starmount1 

You have another option... to cancel the sale citing 'Out of stock/Item is no longer available'. I know that this is not a great option, but it's better than the Return request you might incur if you send it damaged.

Hopefully your buyer will message back in agreement to your suggestion and you can cancel citing 'Buyer requested.'

Good luck, however it plays out.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Shipping this out will only mean you will end up purchasing a second label to get it returned to you. Hopefully your buyer will respond before time runs out. Otherwise, you really should cancel for OOS. I would imagine the shipping for a bedspread will not be cheap. Best of luck to you....

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

HI!

It looks so warm & cozy.  If I bought this maybe you would offer me a little better deal or if I buy something else from you maybe give me a little price break. I would not be upset & maybe your buyer will not either. Maybe a little money back would be nice. Good luck🍀

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

There is a chance they didn't see your message but there's also a chance that they saw your message but are afraid if they tell you that it's OK they won't be eligible for a return if the damage is worse than they think.  They really don't have anything to lose by not responding to you.

I would definitely send them another message and offer them a partial refund for your mistake if they want you to ship it anyway.  Let them know the deadline you have to ship the item by and that it would be great if you could hear back from them one way or another by then if you should cancel or ship and issue the partial refund.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Email them again. It's the weekend, perhaps they were out.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

See if there is a phone number on the order. I often have success with the phone number when I don't get any response from ebay messages. Many people don't even know that exists and many people don't look at their email much anymore because Facebook has totally replaced social emails and many have no business emails to worry about.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

First of all thanks for all the ideas! I may just wait and see if I hear from the buyer tomorrow. I know my listing says 1 day shipping but I have never missed that so I really don't mind a ding on that if they still want the spread. It literally sold w/in an hour of listing it. I don't want to cancel the sale without letting the buyer know before hand.

We'll see what happens but thanks again for the imput. To be honest in 20 years of selling on eBay this has never happened! 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@starmount1 wrote:

First of all thanks for all the ideas! I may just wait and see if I hear from the buyer tomorrow. I know my listing says 1 day shipping but I have never missed that so I really don't mind a ding on that if they still want the spread. It literally sold w/in an hour of listing it. I don't want to cancel the sale without letting the buyer know before hand.

We'll see what happens but thanks again for the imput. To be honest in 20 years of selling on eBay this has never happened! 

Don't cancel. I always risk the return and ship it out anyway (with a note to the buyer and an offer of a discount). Last item was a silver coin that toned in storage, I sent it out offering him a discount if he wanted to keep it, or a return label if it was not acceptable.

Sometimes things cost money... I'd rather be out the money on shipping both ways than get an OOS defect plus possible negative feedback. The buyer might not be too upset about the damage if compensated, if you cancel you're taking away their choice (and they might want to see it in person).

C.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

I  agree with Sin.

You have to compare the cost of shipping both ways, if she wants it refunded after seeing the damage, to the cost to your selling account of a Defect.

Do you have any other Defects? You may already be paying higher fees if you do.

Do you hold TRS status? You may lose your TRS discounts if you do.

You may also have the number or value of your listings restricted if you have "too many" Defects.

You don't have to share your answers with us. But take your time in thinking about it.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

You have time, don’t live in fear of late shipping. 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@starmount1 

How "big" is this repair?  These are vintage, correct?

(Point being gently used, likely imperfect due to age/use)

Handle it as you would if a Buyer discovered it and you did not realize the issue prior to shipping.

Good luck!  Hopefully, you will have an understanding Buyer!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 12 of 12
latest reply