cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forced Refund Because International Buyer Didn't Pay Customs and Claims They Didn't Receive Package

I sold 2 cards for a total of $320 + $20 shipping to a buyer from Chile back in august. The item has been held by a 3rd party shipping company since august. The buyer reached out to me asking about the package and then they filled a claim for a refund because they didn't receive it. Although upon further contacting the company holding the shipment, I find that the buyer just hasn't paid customs or duties or are missing some documentation that they need to fill out before the item is shipped. I was able to get them to share the email the sent the customer to use as proof but every Ebay Customer Service Representative I talked to told me everything would be in my favor but took no real action. Then Yesterday I received a notification that the buyer reached out to customer service and that I'd be forced to refund them because I couldn't provide proof of delivery. I've called ebay about 10 times within the past 2 weeks including a bunch of times yesterday after the refund to no avail. What can I do in this situation? Any advice would be helpful

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Forced Refund Because International Buyer Didn't Pay Customs and Claims They Didn't Receive Package

You are probably using the CS that is located overseas and they are useless.  You can get hold of a US agent here on this site;  https://www.facebook.com/ebay/

I wish you well.  I had something similar happen to me where the person did not want to pay customs.  In the end I won and stopped shipping internationally.  Just not worth it anymore.  Too many scammers.  Good luck. 

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

The item has been held by a 3rd party shipping company since august. 

@pokie-bay 

What carrier did you use?  Who is this 3rd party shipping? 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

The carrier is shown as Ebay International Shipping, i dropped the package off at USPS, the third party that is currently holding it is called Skypostal based out of miami. 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Yeah i’m not shipping international anymore, i blocked all countries except europe but that’s likely to change soon. Just too much risk. I reached out to ebay on facebook, hopefully i’ll hear back tomorrow. 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@ckimodog wrote:

You are probably using the CS that is located overseas and they are useless.  You can get hold of a US agent here on this site;  https://www.facebook.com/ebay/

I wish you well.  I had something similar happen to me where the person did not want to pay customs.  In the end I won and stopped shipping internationally.  Just not worth it anymore.  Too many scammers.  Good luck. 

Yeah, you can go to Bookface, I mean Meta, and exchange texts with velvet@ebay.com, because she's just so good. She'll make everything right.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

EBay has introduced a new International Shipping service which appears to have all the drawbacks of the Global Shipping Program with none of the benefits.

With the GSP, a Seller Protection program, this could not have happened, because the Chilean import fees would be paid before the seller is even told to ship.

Between that, responsibility for shipping ending at the GSP plant in Kentucky, cheap USPS tracking, and GSP's willingness to pay for some Not As Described claims, the new service has only one minor benefit.

It seems cheaper because those import fees are not paid upfront, but instead on delivery, putting off the annoyance of the buyer for a couple of weeks.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Hope it works out for you.  

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Last time I had an international snafu-it sat in the buyers customs for 3 months and buyer never picked it up and miraculously sent back to me in pristine condition.

Ebay saw it was in the tracking history and told me because it was outside the 30 days, I was protected. Is ebay on the fence because of the 3rd party shipping company? Did you not ship it with ebay international shipping? They should decide in your favor because its not your fault its sitting there. (My opinion)

Good luck. I hope it works out in your favor. 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

EBay's International Shipping is a quagmire. All the problems of Global Shipping with none of the Seller Protection.

With GSP your responsibility for delivery ends in Kentucky,when the plant accepts your shipment. With EIP you are responsible all the way to the customer's doorstep in Tashkent.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply