cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For very small sellers that are not selling what are our options?

I am very small, and I like that as I can manage my account easily being retired and a hobby seller.

It has now become obvious to me after 1 or maybe 3 sales a month this is not working for me. I have tried other venues etsy etc. higher fees and no sales. I have nice things, and my kids do not wait them. The Salvation Army should not be their demise so what does one do?? Taxes will probably be the end as I don't make enough to go through all that paperwork. So what does a losing hobby seller do?

thanks in advance:)

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: For very small sellers that are not selling what are our options?

Most of the non clothing pieces you have listed would be better sold locally as the shipping costs these days are prohibitive.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 16 of 23
latest reply

A few thoughts.

My standard Search is Highest Price plus Shipping because reasons, so I saw those first.

You do have some decorative items that would fit into either cottagecore or MCM design.

The #225310127466- mirrored sconce is definitely cottagecore /shabby chic.

And #225310127462 - poodle lamp would tickle some MCM or shabby chic

Pictures:

On all your lamps and other decorative items, the pictures are too cluttered.

Spread a sheet over a table and chairback (or make a bristol board triptych) so that the only thing in the picture is the candlestick or lamp or figurine.

The clutter makes it hard to see the detail.

I see you use a mixture of catalogue and your own pictures on clothing. That's good.

Titles:

We're told that  phones shoppers see the first four words in your title and not the rest

So stop using words like Antique/vintage/ Sale/gorgeous that are not going to be Searched. Put the product first.

eg   ---GORGEOUS ANTIQUE VTG GOLD GILT HEAVY IRON Cherub Angel SCONCE CANDLE HOLDER

Instead GILT Candle Holder Heavy CHERUB ANGEL vintage golden

Unlike 'vintage' , 'antique' has  a precise meaning-- over 100 years. Which is only 1922, so you may be safe, but it is equally likely to be 1950s as 1850s.  Is there a manufacturer's location like "Made in Chzekoslovakia/ Bohemia"?

Font:

This is an old piece just how I found it many years ago. It has a metal loop for hanging. I am not sure if this may have been part of a larger chandelier or candelabra but this is how I have hung it for many years.

This is a little hard to read. I understand you may think it looks more "antique" but.... my suggestion would be Times New Roman.

FWIW- The publishers I submit stories and novels to all want TNR because it is easy to read, unlike Italic fonts.

Descriptions:

This is an old piece just how I found it many years ago. It has a metal loop for hanging. I am not sure if this may have been part of a larger chandelier or candelabra but this is how I have hung it for many years.

Metal loop for hanging.

KISS.

sales are final especially antique 
thank you

You can have a No Returns policy, but you cannot have a No Refunds policy. You can refuse returns, but you will still be paying out refunds.

Better to get your item back, even if you have to pay for the return shipping, and then resell it. Also it sounds negative.

Payment due at the end of auction no exceptions

You don't have to say this. Just add Immediate Payment Required to your Selling Form. The item will remain live and visible until the customer pays, without you sounding negative.

Please accept that this is a critique and not a criticism. I think you do have a market (although I agree that you should be cross-posting on etsy and on Ruby Lane) and your prices seem reasonable to me.
Message 17 of 23
latest reply

I'm confused about your clothing, as you said it's yours, but then made it sound like you purchased for resale.  I am a clothing seller for many years & I looked at your items & your clothing prices are very high (and I say that as a seller who prices high).   I have never been able to sell FP at the prices people say it goes for.  I think there may be a few pieces that are sought after, but in general I can barely sell it for $20.   Are you comparing your listing prices to SOLD prices?  

As for tchochkes (sp?), the other posters are correct that nobody wants that stuff anymore.   You might want to google "Nobody wants your parents stuff", it started out as a blog post, but became almost like a movement.   Nobody wants "brown furniture",  that's for people in their 70's+, same with figurines & decorative plates & all that kind of stuff.  There's simply no market for it.  I don't think you'd do any better on Etsy or anywhere else unless it's a true antique or true MCM.   The younger generations don't like having a bunch of "stuff" & the older generations are all trying to get rid of it.  

Recently there was an estate sale in my area.  I was so bummed that I didn't hear about it until it was over, as the guy was a world famous rock producer with amazing true collector's items for a market that's still strong.  Since I got wind after the auction was over, I was able to see all the sold prices & they were peanuts!  Literally pennies or only $20 for really amazing collectibles of a world traveler rock producer.  Only 2 things in the entire estate were worth anything of real value - an antique LV trunk & a gun safe.  That's it & this guy's estate was way beyond the average persons.  

I know it's a bummer, I have so much stress related about what i'm going to do with all my parents stuff, as my mom is a collector/hoarder of practically everything & no one wants that old fashioned stuff & I'm certainly not going to ship it to my state.   Almost all of my in-law's estate which was quite small, went into the garbage b/c kids are scattered all over the country, even items that were wanted or worth something aren't worth paying to ship.   I think an estate sale or donation is your best option, sorry.  

ETA:  I can get those conch shells at thrifts for $3-4 all day long.  I bought some when staging my old house, except I bought them on 1/2 price day, so got them even cheaper.  

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

I want to add that Tiffany went out of style and people were tossing vases and lamps into the garbage.  I bet their grandkids are not laughing now.  Trashing a 'style' just because it isn't 'in' right now is trashing the materials it was made from, the designers who designed it and the artisans who may have made the item.

We can make a million million DVD's but consign a piece of art to the dump?  Bad us....

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

I just looked at your listings, I wish I was selling that much

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

If you aren't able to sell it and can't wear it, what is your issue with just donating it? Isn't it taking up space that could be used for other things?  

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

Hi mybostonbaked beans,

I'm going through the slow sales phase also.  It's oh so discouraging!  One thing I want to mention is that some of your titles have 8-10 words before you say what it is you're actually selling.

"Antique VTG TOLE Italian cabbage ROSES GOLD Gilt Metal floor table stand vanity"

"ANTIQUE VTG ETCHED FLOWERS BEVELED SCALLOPED MIRROR CRYSTAL sconce light PRISM"

for example.  Maybe reworking some of your titles would help.  Good luck.

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

Clothes are my top seller. The more you list the more you make so just keep getting new inventory and list it. It all sells eventually. I've done about 170k this year and I have a full time lister who works mon thru friday so we keep our online inventory at about 5600. Average monthly sales are approx 17k before fees 11 k after ebay pulls out taxes, shipping and their fees.. yes I paid ebay about 70k this year in fees and shipping. 

Message 23 of 23
latest reply