cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding someone to sell my things on EBay

I am looking for someone to sell my many things on ebay -- such as a pre-amp, new double towel bar, several brushed nickel doorknobs -- and other misc. things. Not too many clothing items.  Can anyone recommend someone?  Thank you.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Finding someone to sell my things on EBay

You're not likely to find a taker here. Can you advertise locally?

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I recommend YOU sell them yourself.

It's hard enough selling things yourself to make yourself money,

let alone selling things for somebody else.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Unlike times in the past, it may prove difficult for you to find some one.

Among the things deterring an experienced seller from providing this service are, enforcement of anti-counterfeit, stolen goods policies and tax implications.

Find a local high school kid who is computer savvy and pay him by the hour to list on Ebay and ship under your direction.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

With the income tax implications, work of taking photos, writing the listings, packing and shipping items, bookkeeping, dealing with returns and complaints, etc, etc, would you do that for someone else.

It would be best for you to learn and do it yourself and reap all of the profits for yourself.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I don't know anyone that would take the liability of selling for anyone else.  What about selling fees and returns?  Ebay sales are reported to the IRS so they need your SS# to be a seller.  They also need banking details to make deposits.  Are you willing to share that info with a stranger?  

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

You are better off selling them locally to someone at a garage sale or such, perhaps to a reseller. Doing consignment on items of relatively small value may not be worth it for most who do consignments.

Unless your pre-amp is higher end and worth good money, sell it locally. Stereo equipment can be a major pain to sell online. In the past I used to sell AV gear, but the cost of shipping items like that has gone through the roof (as have packaging materials they require to ship safely) and it is seldom worth it anymore. And there is always a risk of the buyer saying it doesn't work (honest or not) and getting socked with the return shipping and being out the original shipping too and ending up deep in the red.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Whenever someone hears that I sell on eBay, I always get the same question, "I have some stuff! Can you sell it for me?" I have the same response: Do you have Facebook? Try on Facebook marketplace. If you don't have access to Facebook, ask a close, nearby family member or friend who would be willing to do it for you. If you can find someone, may I recommend that you take all the pictures of the items yourself, research prices, and write the descriptions for them. Also, the most important - give them at least 15% of your profits!

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@fm2000 wrote:

but the cost of shipping items like that has gone through the roof (as have packaging materials they require to ship safely) and it is seldom worth it anymore. And there is always a risk of the buyer saying it doesn't work (honest or not) and getting socked with the return shipping and being out the original shipping too and ending up deep in the red.

I agreed to sell for a family member once. All of their things weighed more than 20 lbs.! Half of the items I refused because they were missing parts, and I didn't want the liability. The fun part was having to make boxes that were the size of the overweight items and then hauling and driving 15 minutes out of my way to find a UPS shipping center, not to mention the back-and-forth negotiations with the buyers because of the outrageous shipping costs! I knew they needed the money, so I only charged them for the fees and the roll of heavy-duty packing tape. 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply