cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filing a Complaint Against eBay

Hi eBay community,

Is there an email address or phone number that I can message to file a complaint against eBay?

I am new to the selling world of eBay and, already, majority of the items that I have sold (awaiting payment) have been buyer scams asking me to contact them through phone or gmail. What recourse do these scam buyers have beyond me “reporting the buyer.” I was hoping this platform would be less inundated with scammers but I guess I was wrong.

Message 1 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Re: Filing a Complaint Against eBay

@julli_9813 

Woyld recommend Patience.  Slow and steady wins the race here.

Build feedback on your ID by buying on the site first.  Zero FB Sellers are going to be a target, etc.

Sell items initially that are lower dollar/less risk.  Build your Seller profile slowly and learn the ins and outs of selling here.  We are seasoned as a Seller (this is a posting ID) and there are many items I would not sell online as they are fraud magnets.

Good luck selling online - All the Best.  This can be a great platform, be patient.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 31 of 49
latest reply

@julli_9813 wrote:

Is there an email address or phone number that I can message to file a complaint against eBay?

So you are looking for a way to contact eBay so you can file a complaint against eBay? I don't think they have set up any special email address or phone number for that. 

@julli_9813 wrote:

I was hoping this platform would be less inundated with scammers but I guess I was wrong.

All it takes to register with eBay as a buyer is an email address. Until that changes, there is no way eBay will be able to stop buyers from making offers or bidding on auctions and then not paying. Most sellers in your position adapt by listing at fixed price with immediate payment required, and avoiding offers and auctions.

Message 32 of 49
latest reply

@terrycece62 wrote:

If a seller 'requests, you to private message/text or phone and YES THAT IS A SCAMMER  

You can report them please do

More WOULD report them if they put the report button back in the email message.

It DOES get better OP.   It's b/c you're new that they're coming out of the woodwork.   I started in 97, when the web was a baby & scammers didn't exist much online & in all these years, I've only encountered a couple of scammers & they were both this last year.  

Once you get some substantial FB, you won't be seen as a newbie.  Of course it depends on what you sell too, some categories tend to bring out scammers (electronics, phones, etc).   Stick with it & they will eventually become a thing of the past. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 34 of 49
latest reply

Hi I recently purchased an item on Ebay it turned out to be faulty and incomplete the item was sold as opened never used like new. I contacted the seller the seller advised that it had been used twice and was in fully working order and that I had probably broken it. I started the returns process the seller was completly ignoring myself. My browser froze up and when doing so I have accidentaly cancelled the return. I thought that this would be a non issue well I was in for a surprise Ebay stated they could not reopen the return I explained that this was out of my control. Ebay gave me the runaround for 3 weeks and was told that it had gone to the managment and hopefully Ebay will refund me. Ebay promised to contact me numerous times this did not happen. I had to chase them other this. I was in the end told that unfortunatly they cannot refund me for the faulty item the seller gets to keep his money and I am left with a 200 hundred pound paper weight, what ever happened to the 30 day money back guarantee and my rights under the consumer rights act. They could not even explain why the reopening of a return was not possible well not any kind of logical reason they implied that it has something to do with fraud, so it looks like im a criminal at least I have a 200 pound paper weight to help break me out of jail. Any ideas or any links to make a direct complaint to ebay regarding the above.

Message 35 of 49
latest reply

I sold a Louis Vuitton purse on eBay and when it came time for payment they are making it impossible to verify my account.  They sent the microdeposits and the app gives an error when I tried to submit them.  I tried to login to my bank account but customer service said the microdeposits have to be redone everytime I try to login.  So if I get a micro deposit...I try to login.. It sends me to customer service and resets.  5 days of the same.  I caught in a circle and I've had my bank account over 35 years.  The customer service agent kept telling me to be quiet and listen.  F. That..I'm done with eBay.  What a ripoff.. You paid yourself and now you hold my money , over 1k and I can't do anything.  Can anyone help with what to do.  

Message 36 of 49
latest reply

Sellers bear the full weight of risk on eBay. There are few seller protections.

So it is up to you to prevent yourself being the victim of scammers.

There is very little that can be done to prevent folks attempting theft. Even the authorities can do very little. Because an attempt is not a crime. It is not a crime until the scammer actually hooks a victim. Then there is something tangible to report. Sadly many of these scammers are overseas and very little can be done to bring them to justice.

So seller beware.

Message 37 of 49
latest reply

There are already 100's of postings on this forum about how scammers succeeded in getting things for free. Simply Google "the best way to scam on eBay" and you will get pages and pages of hits including video's. 

Message 38 of 49
latest reply

if ebay makes policy for sellers to get scammed, then the seller "GETS SCAMMED"    are you saying ebay has no responsibility?     many on the board would like to say  its sellers fault, but  the truth is a buyer can buy your  t.v  for 1000 dollars,  say its not as discribed and send you back a box of rocks.   "they will get the T.V and their money back. they will even have YOU pay the shipping. if this policy is not RIPE for scamming i will eat my hat.  PROVE ME WRONG!     people on these boards   protect ebay like a cult. (i suspect many are indeed employed by ebay.) 

Message 39 of 49
latest reply

this is nonsense.   ebay  took the ability of sellers to give bad buyers bad feedback. (Thats when it started)   if ebay indeed policed bad buyers and got rid of them after a number of sellers complained  then it would be MUCH LESS of a problem.    some buyers have scammed sellers 50 times or more and are still on doing it.  

Message 40 of 49
latest reply

t's frustrating when you just start out and realize you're being targeted by scammers because they think they can take advantage of your inexperience.  In your case, you're too smart for them!

ebay has set it up that way.   its not ebay getting scammed, its you.  (many of us old time sellers have left ebay because of this very fact.)   its a STUPID POLICY!

Message 41 of 49
latest reply

im the man from tennessee....

Message 42 of 49
latest reply

number one fan of the man from tennessee.  

Message 43 of 49
latest reply

@legoodbod0 

I was in the end told that unfortunatly they cannot refund me... what ever happened to the 30 day money back guarantee and my rights under the consumer rights act.

Although cancelling the Claim meant you cannot open a new Claim, you are not helpless.

Did you pay using Paypal?
You have 180 days from payment to open a Not As Described dispute through the PP Resolution Centre whicj you can find on your PP account under Activities.

Unfortunately, PP will insist that you return the defective item on your own dime and using Tracked shipping.

But when the tracking shows delivery, you will be refunded your original payment.

If you used a credit card directly, or back your PP account with a card, you can phone the 1-800 number on the card or invoice and ask about a chargeback. Every card has a slightly different system, but they tend to favour the buyer.

If you used  debit card or gift card or your balance, there is no mechanism to refund you.

Message 44 of 49
latest reply

@tracy9134 

The microdeposits are unreliable. If you are non-US the problem may be currency exchange rates.

There are other methods of confirming identity, so that you and not someone in Leningrad gets the payment.

You might try contacting the eBay employees manning their social media accounts*

https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851

I used my passport and DH used his driving license. We Canadians can also use our Social Insurance Number, but cannot be required to do so and are grouchy about it. Americans are more free with thier SSN or ITIN.

You might want to ask a mod to remove your personal email address from a public forum seen worldwide.

*the phone reps work for a subcontractor in Utah and have no real authority. And phone reps are allowed to hang up on aggressive callers.

Message 45 of 49
latest reply