cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fee's just keep climbing...

Just saying, Ebay fee's arScreenshot_20240421_191948_eBay.jpge getting ridiculous! Sold for $65, $12ish shipping +1.45 s&h and you can't sell trading cards without paying for promotion since they done away with the quick promotion, which was awesome, obviously they realized they wasn't making enough profit from it so they make us pay the extra. If I sold thousands of cards a month probably wouldn't care but I sell about 10. They should keep the quick promotion for individuals who do this as a hobby. No wonder there are so many people leaving Ebay. 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Shipping is an expense, not a fee.

Promotions are optional.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

eBay used to be for sellers selling a few items or items on hand.

But now we have those who sell items straight from a store and never see in person what they are selling.

And we have to deal with those who are selling like 100,000 items at any time.

And you forgot an "additional fee"...if it's a buyer from another country using a credit card from their country there's another 1.65% added on....International Fee.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Can more people leave eBay?

There are far too many sellers.

Be scared of the massive fees, RUN!

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

The more listings of an item identical to yours, the more reason there is to promote your listings.

Someone wins and someone loses when you promote, unless you need not promote.

Why should Ebay give an advantage to sellers who provide them with little revenue over sellers who are Top Ranked with a large number of listings?

If you are going to compete with heavy hitters you need to be one yourself. If you do not want to compete with heavy hitters, sell items which few have listed.

I am not a heavy hitter, I choose the other path. I do not promote and do not intend to promote, If I have to, I have screwed up.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@tross0615 ,

You netted 82.3% of the sales price after paying a promotion fee of $4.18 which was optional. What were you expecting to net? You basically made the buyer pay the promotion fees by charging him/her $4.24 more than the actual shipping charges. 

You sell your cards to dealer and you'd be lucky to get 75% on the dollar. You set up at a decent card show you are looking at  $125.00 or more plus for table rent. You will have to bring your cards to show and sit there for 8 hours. You would have to sell $700.00 or more to break versus selling on eBay which is no guarantee.  

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@tobaccocardyahoo ,

That was my thinking of the OP. The item he sold was numbered 3 of 10 available. I personally would never have promoted an item where there is a total of 10 available on the planet. There was no other ones listed at the time the OP's was on eBay.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

The buyer paid the tax and then it was taken out.  It's a wash +6.37 then -6.37 =0.  Tax is not a fee.  Shipping is not a fee.  If the buyer paid, you shipped, and that was a wash too (+/-).  You paid a final value fee on the total transaction.  If you promoted, then you chose that fee, as it is optional.  

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@evry1nositswindy 

You are right, although the seller does pay a fee (service fee) on the shipping and sales tax collected.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Don't you know what the fees were before you sold something.

Do you often go to a restaurant and order food without looking at the prices, then are shocked when you see the bill?

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Ooh, I like that analogy.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@reallynicestamps Yep, that's why I said total transaction.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Is it me or my imagination that we've had higher than usual Op's posting a message but never come back lately.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@theteamsetguy wrote:

Is it me or my imagination that we've had higher than usual Op's posting a message but never come back lately.

Seems that it happens a lot - I guess they're..."just saying" (the latest weasel phrase, I guess). Though honestly, if people are going to do promo ads and perhaps free shipping, well...there you go, it adds up.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 14 of 14
latest reply