cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exact Address requirement for Seller protection Authenticity Guarantee transactions

What service offered by USPS would show the delivery status to the authenticator’s EXACT address in order to qualify for “Item not received” protection ? ? ?  If not USPS, then what service offered by FedEx or UPS ? ?

‎Effective November 1, 2022, eBay will update how they define evidence of successful delivery for Authenticity Guarantee transactions in our eBay Money Back Guarantee program and Payment dispute seller protections.

You’re required to use a tracked shipping service showing the delivery status to the authenticator’s address in order to qualify for “Item not received” protection. Previously, we looked for evidence showing at least the city or zip code of the address. Starting November 1,  we’ll look for evidence of shipment to the authenticator’s full address. Once an item is marked as received by an authenticator, delivery of the item to the buyer becomes eBay’s responsibility, and if there are any delivery issues, we’ll work with the buyer to resolve them.  
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Exact Address requirement for Seller protection Authenticity Guarantee transactions

@trust-in-sports wrote:
What service offered by USPS would show the delivery status to the authenticator’s EXACT address in order to qualify for “Item not received” protection ? ? ?  If not USPS, then what service offered by FedEx or UPS ? ?

‎Effective November 1, 2022, eBay will update how they define evidence of successful delivery for Authenticity Guarantee transactions in our eBay Money Back Guarantee program and Payment dispute seller protections.

You’re required to use a tracked shipping service showing the delivery status to the authenticator’s address in order to qualify for “Item not received” protection. Previously, we looked for evidence showing at least the city or zip code of the address. Starting November 1,  we’ll look for evidence of shipment to the authenticator’s full address. Once an item is marked as received by an authenticator, delivery of the item to the buyer becomes eBay’s responsibility, and if there are any delivery issues, we’ll work with the buyer to resolve them.  

We can do that now with UPS and Fedex.  Delivery status will show the full address and the person who signed.  We can also restrict "who" signs for it, especially with Fedex.

As far as I know, standard services with USPS will not show what e-Bay appears to be asking for.  Hopefully, more clarity on this exists.  Otherwise, shipments will be more expensive using other service providers.  

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Re: Exact Address requirement for Seller protection Authenticity Guarantee transactions

I was told by my postmaster that you can come into the post office with the tracking number and they can printout a sheet for you with the full delivery address on it.  Not sure if you can get it sent to you via email.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@rugerskick wrote:

I was told by my postmaster that you can come into the post office with the tracking number and they can printout a sheet for you with the full delivery address on it.  Not sure if you can get it sent to you via email.

Wondering if that will work to satisfy e-Bay or they will want something they can access themselves online with the actual tracking?

Excellent to hear that your PO is willing to do that.  If that works - while it might be a hassle to go obtain it, that would be excellent!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Thank you!  Now wondering, if you obtained that form from the post office, will eBay accept an image of that form or will they require verification to be online only?

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

It will satisfy ebay because it will show the complete street delivery address, not just the zip code.  It may also have the gps info as well.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Wasn't this announced at the same time ebay announced that they will be providing the $14.99 fedex labels for AG sales? I assume when ebay does that they will have full access to the address from fedex

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@rugerskick wrote:

It will satisfy ebay because it will show the complete street delivery address, not just the zip code.  It may also have the gps info as well.

That is excellent to hear - wondering why USPS does not just offer that to begin with??  Would make a lot of things easier, if they did!

(also - wondering if "every" PO will be willing to do this??  For those this is a potential issue, they should inquire BEFORE they have a dilemma.......especially as the Holidays/rush will be here soon!)

Posting ID Only.......
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@crazystuff4sale wrote:

Wasn't this announced at the same time ebay announced that they will be providing the $14.99 fedex labels for AG sales? I assume when ebay does that they will have full access to the address from fedex

Yes, I kinda remember this.  

And yes - Fedex has all the info and you can obtain GPS/pix if you ask for them.  

Posting ID Only.......
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Well they do take photo images of things already in disputes.  Everything anyone sends online can be faked so everything technically could be ruled out as proof.  How paranoid one wants to get could rule out my emails to them about any problem or issue I have at any given time.

All I know is you can get the level of proof they are asking for from usps if you have to.  Whether they accept it or not, has always been a separate issue. 

They already dont accept legitimate receipts and invoices from trusted sellers that have made them millions of dollars.  "They can be faked".  Well then why even ask sellers for proof if you're going to deny the evidence you wanted sent by after receiving it, claiming it could be faked. Then they already knew they were going to reject it and deliberately made you go through a sham process they decided in advance they'd never accept anything you gave them.  To me that is business fraud.  No way to conduct business with clients (ie sellers).

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

eBay ‘s Authenticity Guarantee program has announced an exclusive shipping partnership with FedEx. Beginning in October, upon sale, eBay will provide you with a FedEx label at no cost, to ship your Authenticity Guarantee-eligible sneakers to our authentication center.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I guess i should be a little more accurate here.  I see the topic is about the Authenticity Guarantee.

I honestly dont know much about this because I don't sell anything that would go through any of these AG services.

I really was approaching this more from the angle if ebay ever asked for delivery proof if a buyer claimed an INR.  I am thinking that either way, for an INR, or AG seller coverage guarantee, the seller can get the full delivery address info showing delivery to the exact address, for either circumstance.

I can ask my postmaster this week about more info and make sure about the full delivery addres email/online proof ability, if it exists.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@rugerskick wrote:

I guess i should be a little more accurate here.  I see the topic is about the Authenticity Guarantee.

I honestly dont know much about this because I don't sell anything that would go through any of these AG services.

I really was approaching this more from the angle if ebay ever asked for delivery proof if a buyer claimed an INR.  I am thinking that either way, for an INR, or AG seller coverage guarantee, the seller can get the full delivery address info showing delivery to the exact address, for either circumstance.

I can ask my postmaster this week about more info and make sure about the full delivery addres email/online proof ability, if it exists.

Yes - the change goes into effect on 11/1.  

I am thinking @crazystuff4sale is correct - it will be accomplished thru Fedex.  

Posting ID Only.......
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

From what I read in the announcement, and based on previous cases where Delivery Confirmation was needed, I think eBay has finally determined that taking over the shipping label issue is cheaper than having to continually deal with he said/she said arguments between the Authenticators and the Sellers.  eBay needs both for authentication to work, so they needed a solution that solved all the issues.

FedEx will only show the full address to the shipper - the recipient can get a lot of info on the order, but there's more that only the shipper can see.  By supplying the label, eBay becomes 'the shipper' and can confirm 100% that the address used is the authenticator's address.  To me, this is the correct solution for this issue -- you're asking your sellers to trust the authenticators, but if too many sellers start getting packages 'lost', that reduces the pool of sellers willing to trust eBay and feed volume into this process.  USPS still has a long way to go to get back to pre-pandemic 'normal', but FedEx has been consistant (for me anyway) throughout the pandemic, and continues to give me reliable delivery with online confirmation.

For packages going direct from seller to buyer, there is no need for eBay to be the shipper -- the seller can choose whatever carrier they wish.  If they want Seller Protection against INR, they will use a trackable service with online delivery confirmation.  With packages where eBay is inserting a service in-between buyer and seller, eBay needs to be in control of those packages and assume responsibility for proper delivery.  This will also allow eBay to use more than a single authenticator -- they can send the order to any authenticator they have a contract with, eliminating the overload of any given authenticator.  And making it easier to weed out authenticators who 'lose' too many packages or have a higher-that-average rejection rate.

I never had authenticity issues with the footwear I sold - but I never sold 'designer' sneakers either, so I assume someone paying $40 for a pair of comfortable daily shoes is far less concerned about 'authentic', and less likely to claim 'fake' to try to wrangle a partial refund or a "they were so terrible I threw them out so I wouldn't throw up" full refund with no return required.

Just a few musings from my little corner of the Internet.  🙂

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about SixBit and the tools I use to sell - I'm happy to share!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins by getting off the couch"
Message 14 of 14
latest reply