cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethical question/opinion.

Buyer bought a $100 item from me.

I think it's the most expensive item I sell.

The buyer received the item and left me positive feedback.

Then he messaged me saying he was going to buy another the one because one he bought wasn't working properly.

He did not mention a return, refund or replacement.

I apologized to the buyer and told him I would send him another one free of charge and he did not have to return the other one.

His replacement went out today.

Today he messaged me with a tracking number.

Apparently he misunderstood me and sent back the original unit.

The item ships USPS large flat rate box so it costs about $20 to ship.

Question: Should I offer to pick up the tab on the return shipping so it doesn't cost him anything out of pocket?

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 1 of 20
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ethical question/opinion.

I would reimburse for shipping but be extremely annoyed about it. I think that covers the bases.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks

View Best Answer in original post

Message 15 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

I certainly would

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Your choice, but I believe I would.

If this is a new buyer, you might want to toss in a free tutorial on what to do if/when an item received is not as described.  

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

I would refund them as well.

Good job on the great customer service!!!!

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

WOW!   I wasn't expecting the overwhelming response to reimburse the buyer even though I told him not  to return the item.  I respect your opinions and (now) probably will reimburse him, or at least offer to. 

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

WOW!   I wasn't expecting the overwhelming response to reimburse the buyer even though I told him not  to return the item.  I respect your opinions and (now) probably will reimburse him, or at least offer to. 

I told someone to keep an item and they insisted on sending it back. It was $4 in shipping and they decided they'd pay to send it back. I didn't reimburse them.

In your case your buyer misunderstood... so if I wanted to keep the buyer I'd pick up the tab for shipping.

It's a case-by-case basis... I figure if I tell them to keep it and they send it back, the postage shouldn't be my expense since I was ready to write the whole thing off (usually in these cases I can't resell what's being returned anyway).

If you feel the ethical thing to do is pay the return shipping, then do that. I always do what I need to, to be able to live with myself later on.

C.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

I think you have to take it case by case.

Some customers you may just refund because you can feel the heat from the ALL CAPS messages they send. (Get them out of your hair)

Some customers you may want to offer and feel like they might appreciate the offer. (Let them decide if they want the refund)

Some customers you may want to offer a credit or discount on another item you have in stock. (Turn into another sale)

Either way your customer seems like a customer many would want to have.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

My only experience in recent years with telling a buyer to keep the item. when I sent a replacement was having the item come back at the buyer's expense. I shipped the wrong item.

He said he was sure I could sell it again. Indeed I did but it was inexpensive and not worth the effort after I deducted the return shipping. He saw value not only in what he bought but in the wrong item I shipped.

I refunded his shipping cost because I felt he deserved encouragement due to his discerning tastes.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

I'd leave it alone
Just kidding.
Had one yesterday and into this morning having an issue with an item that he really want to keep. I told him how I would repair the item and he agreed on the method.
Talked to him this morning and he said he had ordered the tool to repair it.
I asked him what "style/type" of tool he purchased since there are many different kinds. And asked him how much it was.
He sent me a screen shot of his purchase ($18.00)
I told him "good choice, and I'll just buy that tool for you"
I then sent him a $25 refund.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

If they did not ask, I would not reimburse the shipping. You told them NOT to return it. That's another 20 out of a 100 dollar sale. There can't be ANY profit left after fees and 3 shipping charges. 60 bucks plus fees, I hope you got them for free or REAL close to it. The one coming back, sounds like you are just going to throw it away anyway, so that's however much you paid, right in the trash too. 

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

I did get these for next to nothing.

I'm not planning on making any $ on this transaction.

Just the cost of doing business online.

Yes, the returned unit is going straight to the trash.

That's why I specifically told him not to return it and i'm (a little)  hesitant to reimburse him for the return shipping. 

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

I would reimburse him for the shipping. 

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

IMHO - just send me the $20 instead.  🤣

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

I would offer to cover the cost of the return shipping. You took responsibility for the issue and offered to send a replacement without requiring a return, so it's only fair to cover the cost of the buyer's mistake. 

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

I would reimburse for shipping but be extremely annoyed about it. I think that covers the bases.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 15 of 20
latest reply