cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ending auction to sell to highest bidder

I have never ended an auction to sell to the high bidder before. I have several items listed, but one item of the set needed testing to see if it still worked after 50 years. Put a request out on Nextdoor for a hobby guy, got someone to help me test and he would like to purchase my items. The item he tested hadn't been listed yet, and several more items have no bids. But there are two with bids. He is going to bid tonight. One item he should get for the next incremental increase. The other, because there are two bidders involved, he may have to bid up a bit to become high bidder.

Any hoo... Looking at the listings I see only "end item", no "end and sell to highest bidder". Will that option automatically come up because there are bids? And of course he's going to come over tomorrow to pick everything up, do I just mark the two auctions he wins as "shipped" ( I trust the old hobbyist that he isn't going to turn around and claim not received.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Ending auction to sell to highest bidder

It now occurs to me that PayPal will want him to pay for the postage, because the listing is set up with calculated shipping. That's OK in that I'll just incorporate it into the price we agreed on for ten items and I won't be spending the money on a label, but I guess I should ask him to wait to actually pay me from an invoice? Want everyone to get their proper cut of the action from the sale itself, but no sense paying fees on shipping that isn't going to occur if I don't have to.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

you care allowed to send an invoice with the shipping cost zeroed out. Then payment would be just for the item.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

" One item he should get for the next incremental increase. The other, because there are two bidders involved, he may have to bid up a bit to become high bidder."

He would win either auction for the next incremental increase above whatever is the current high bidder's full proxy bid. That could be an amount significantly higher than the current high bid showing. It doesn't matter how many earlier bids there were, if any.

IIRC, if you click on "end item," that takes you to a page where you have to decide whether to (1) sell to the current high bidder or (2) cancel the bid(s) and end with no transaction.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Well, how awkward. My hobby guy wasn't able to easily outbid someone who apparently really wants one of my items (price went up by $15 and he stopped bidding). And not only is he pushing me to just end the item and sell  him the lot at $X, well um, he appears to now not recall that he said X and I said Y and after hemming and hawing he agreed to Y. Price he wants to pay is suddenly back to X. Nope. What a pain. Not going to be bullied and he can cancel his bid on the item he is high bidder on, and the other as well if he wants. Tried to be accommodating to a neighbor and it ends up just being a right royal PITA.

Questions: Should I be the one to cancel the hobbyist's bid on the item where he is the high bidder, rather than have him cancel? And then in fairness to the guy who got bid up and but is still winning, should I cancel the hobbyist's bids there too to drop the original bidder back down to his original bid? Still a week to go on the auctions.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

"he appears to now not recall that he said X and I said Y and after hemming and hawing he agreed to Y. Price he wants to pay is suddenly back to X. Nope. What a pain. Not going to be bullied"

He has turned into  bully as a bidder, and will only get worse if he becomes a buyer. I'd cancel all his bids on everything and block him, too.

Cancel bid: http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?CancelBidShow

Block bidder: http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BidderBlockLogin

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect  Thank you so much for your help. Now I guess I need to decide to call him to tell him "I cancelled that high bid for you, sorry it didn't work out", or more likely take the chicken way out and just let it rest unless he calls me. My husband doesn't agree at all with the way I'm handling it and will no longer let me talk about it, so it is nice to be able to toss ideas around. I was feeling bad it wasn't working out as planned until hobbyist had a memory loss as to agreed upon price for all my items. Think I will just let the two items with bids come to their natural end next weekend before re-listing the more common items in the lot (I'd removed them when hobbyist wanted everything).

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Generally when members come to the boards to ask about these special deals, the advice they get is to invite the "special buyer" to bid on the auctions and just see what happens.  But your situation had gone beyond that point by the time you posted.

If there is still a week to go on the auction, anything can happen.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

If you currently have a high bid of $100, and your local guy bids $110, he still might not win, because you can't see the current bidder's maximum bid.

If the current bidder has a $200 maximum, your local guy would have to bid $210 to win.

Frankly the simplest thing would be to allow your local guy to bid, and see who wins. It might be him, it might be someone else.

The items that are not yet listed are yours and eBay has no claim on any agreement you and the local guy may come to.

For those that are listed with no bids, you could end them, then relist them as Fixed Price with his name as the title (to keep others from finding the listing) and an agreed price and shipping/Local Pickup.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Should I be the one to cancel the hobbyist's bid on the item where he is the high bidder, rather than have him cancel?

He only has an hour or so to cancel if he wins. But you can cancel the purchase as "problem with address" (eg he won't pay shipping?) or "buyer request" (he wants to renegotiate the price).

Either you or he can cancel a bid, it's cancelling purchases that is tricky.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

And keep in mind that any item with an early bid, is likely to have more bids in the last few hours of the auction.

Your lots with no bids may have electronic snipes set up that will not activate until the last seconds of the auctions.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply