cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elephant Products

I would like a definitive answer on the selling of products made from elephant hide.  If it's eBay's policy to prohibit the sale of these items such as handbags, suitcases, Lucchese boots, etc, why do I see so many of them in the active and completed search results?  When I unknowingly list a prohibited item, the walls of Jericho come down on me.  Why the arbitrariness? 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Elephant Products

Here is the definitive answer. >> Animal products policy | eBay

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I would like a definitive answer on the selling of products made from elephant hide.

It seems completely clear to me.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/animal-products-policy?id=5046

The following wildlife products are not allowed:

• Items made from endangered or threatened species - or species listed on CITES Appendix I

Elephants are listed on CITES Appendix I.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for the replies but once again, there seems to be a robust trade in these items on eBay when they clearly state "elephant hide" in the title and description.  Can anyone tell me how they evade the bots?

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

People complain here often about things still being listed when theirs were pulled.

Every listing has a place that says "report this listing" or similar verbiage.  You are free to do that, if you wish.  

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@gongas 

My guess is those sellers have not been reprimanded....yet.  Ebay is very strict about the animal products policy. Eventually they'll get caught. 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@gongas wrote:

Thanks for the replies but once again, there seems to be a robust trade in these items on eBay when they clearly state "elephant hide" in the title and description.  Can anyone tell me how they evade the bots?

They evade it by violating eBay policy and risking their accounts. And they may only be violating it temporarily until the listing is discovered or reported. 

If you try to be cute and evade the bots, you may be permanently suspended.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply