cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay taking down listings for counterfeit when items are AUTHENTIC

Hi everyone. I am just getting so tired of eBay taking down listings without a rebuttal. They took down four of my listings again I just listed yesterday and always from same brand. I know the first thing many will recommend is STOP selling this brand. Question is why? Should we stop selling all brand who get strikes, it just seems unfair business practices. There are many other sellers selling same brand without a problem who look actually more questionable since their prices are sometimes $25-$30 lower than mine which makes me wonder what is their source when my margins are roughly 10-20%. I put picture of the front of the item, the back with model and serial showing, along with price tag. When I called them eBay rep says put receipt in picture. Yes, they actually said that and I've been told the same before by another rep. 

So I tell them it is the most ridiculous suggestion and show me one listing where a Top Rated Seller puts receipt in listings. If I put receipt than buyer will know the price I paid and try to haggle for lower price not knowing I still have to pay eBay 15% commission and shipping fees. Further, it would allow competitor to know my source. Btw, I buy form authorized dealers and straight from manufacturers. I've told eBay I am willing to submit receipts for this item showing they're authentic but they don't want to hear that. I have moved most of my business to another competitor because of this repeated strikes on my account without me being able to back my case. I know that most common response here will be "eBay can take down your listings for any reason and they reserve the right to do so". The thing is I have 100% Feedback and NEVER had one customer complain about authenticity of the brand in question or any other brand. If I am a new seller selling at ridiculously lower price than they'd question my account. But for someone selling as long as I am with 100% positive feedback doesn't make sense to me.

I spoke to someone higher up last year who finally I  convinced to let me submit my invoices, which they accepted and removed all violations from account but this time I am getting nobody to help. Due to this reason, I've moved 75% of my business to another selling platform because it is unfair to accuse someone of a crime and not letting them defend they're wrongly accused unless we're living in a banana republic. Icing on the cake, this time account restricted for 3 days so no income. I am just glad I have other platforms to sell as I have family to support. But I am just gutted currently because being accused of something without ability to clear yourself is one of the worst things that can happen to anyone.

I honestly do not know what to do anymore or how to reach a supervisor or someone higher up the chain because the reps are giving typical answers from a list given to them on what to say.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Ebay taking down listings for counterfeit when items are AUTHENTIC

@flyingmvp wrote:

At this point and time Ebay still keep asking for more fees via Promoted Listings while pushing all those updates and glitches + Vero hardships on top of it all instead of trying bring us some confidence or trust in their ability to perform.

I wonder if it would be more productive  to spend the same time listing the removed items on other Venues/platforms  🤔 

There is a limit to how much one can chase a moving target.

Hmm sounds like great advice to your self.

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

Thank you for your help. But I wasn't VERO'd. It was taken down because it says the reason is COUNTERFEIT. Also, at end of the email it said "don't reply to this message. It was sent from an address that doesn't accept incoming email." The weird part is last time this happened the rep on phone said take pictures of the back showing serial number or model number. And ALL 5 of the listings taken down were ALL listed yesterday. But none of the other from same brand were taken down. I showed front, back, price tag with correct UPC and still I honestly do not know what to do anymore. Its that feeling of doing nothing wrong yet being accused that is bothering me all day while there are OTHER sellers who are selling same items without a problem. 

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

Problems with my setup? Please enlighten me what the problems are. I am not the only one selling branded items. If you took sellers on eBay. Majority of them are "reselling" items that are branded.

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

@nickys-store wrote:

Thank you for your help. But I wasn't VERO'd. It was taken down because it says the reason is COUNTERFEIT. Also, at end of the email it said "don't reply to this message. It was sent from an address that doesn't accept incoming email." The weird part is last time this happened the rep on phone said take pictures of the back showing serial number or model number. And ALL 5 of the listings taken down were ALL listed yesterday. But none of the other from same brand were taken down. I showed front, back, price tag with correct UPC and still I honestly do not know what to do anymore. Its that feeling of doing nothing wrong yet being accused that is bothering me all day while there are OTHER sellers who are selling same items without a problem. 

What brand??

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

Thank you...... what brand.

Regarding ''counterfiet'' eBay is usually pretty ambiguous about the reasons for removal, it may simply be that the manufacturer of whichever brand it is does not want their products on eBay and that is their right.

Definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Please do not relist this brand any more.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 20 of 27
latest reply

Do not relist until the matter is resolved.

If a VeRO take down you can fight it, as you have a legal right to resell an authentic legally obtained item as long as you don't otherwise infringe on the owner's rights.  However, if this wasn't a VeRO complaint, but an ebay take down, you have a problem.

Ebay appears to be doing more and more of this sort of thing against sellers of various products without giving them any recourse whatsoever to appeal it. The best you could do is have your attorney send a letter to ebay's legal department, but hardly worth it for a single item.

Obviously ebay is trying to protect against counterfeits, but at times seems to not be applying the take downs fairly to all sellers. I suspect if this practice continues to escalate, some public advocate or news group is going to call them out on it.

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

@nickys-store wrote:

Problems with my setup? Please enlighten me what the problems are. I am not the only one selling branded items. If you took sellers on eBay. Majority of them are "reselling" items that are branded.

edited wrong post, sorry.

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

@rfmtm wrote:

Do not relist until the matter is resolved.

If a VeRO take down you can fight it, as you have a legal right to resell an authentic legally obtained item as long as you don't otherwise infringe on the owner's rights.  However, if this wasn't a VeRO complaint, but an ebay take down, you have a problem.

Ebay appears to be doing more and more of this sort of thing against sellers of various products without giving them any recourse whatsoever to appeal it. The best you could do is have your attorney send a letter to ebay's legal department, but hardly worth it for a single item.

Obviously ebay is trying to protect against counterfeits, but at times seems to not be applying the take downs fairly to all sellers. I suspect if this practice continues to escalate, some public advocate or news group is going to call them out on it.

There be a group that is trying to force laws upon lets say market place facilitators to make sure item sold are legit.. I suspect eBay and others are trying to get ahead of the game..

Dont blame them such laws could play havoc on such places as eBay.....

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

So ebay doing the same to me.  Other than Amazon and Etsy, would you share the other platforms you sell on?  I'm too invested to quit, but am so annoyed with ebay and their unwillingness for a truly fair marketplace.  If willing to share and don't want to post here, please message me.

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

@xbabsx25 wrote:

So ebay doing the same to me.  Other than Amazon and Etsy, would you share the other platforms you sell on?  I'm too invested to quit, but am so annoyed with ebay and their unwillingness for a truly fair marketplace.  If willing to share and don't want to post here, please message me.

We are not to advertise or suggest other sites: against the rules.

Might start your own topic about the problems you are having as well.

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

I agree with you. I have seen it happen over and over again. Moderators are guided by other than eBay Rules. Most of the time Moderators are blaming us for the fault of eBay. Global shipping after eBay Authenticity took $550 item to Singapore and buyer claimed Item not Received and got his money back few days after DHL delivery. I am out of merchandise, buyer got free merchandise, eBay short changed me.

Moderator was from same country. 

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 27 of 27
latest reply