cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay stock is down 3 1/2%, much more than analyst expected,,,,and guess why?

On Varney & Co (stock market analyst TV show)  this morning, at 9:40 EST time, there was a short segment about Ebay and their unexpected 3 1/2 % drop in the stock market. The reason: Ebay's new format. At the same time, Amazon's stock is up almost 30%. Some one at Ebay better wake up and smell the coffee!

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: Ebay stock is down 3 1/2%, much more than analyst expected,,,,and guess why?

@nawlinsron2 wrote:
That's a thought...may I subtract from that number the ones who don't have the wherewithal to understand market value, supply and demand, cost of shipping/how to ship, customer service...and access to re-sale items, assuming they know market value?
It ain't just numbers...

Absolutely.  Sales isn't as easy a way to earn a living as many envision.  So many believe they simply list their stuff on eBay (or wherever) and the money will just roll in.  I mean, it's a huge nation and world.  There have to be tons of people who will want whatever you're selling... right?  But many just can't make it here with what they are offering, with what they are pricing their inventory at, with how they handle their business in lots of ways.  We have them coming here crying over how they're not making it on eBay.. all the time.  Of course, it's eBay's fault... Smiley Wink 

Selling successfully is fairly simple, but not necessarily easy.  Even big giant stores go out on a regular basis.  No surprise some here fail as well. 

But run out of sellers?  I don't think that is anything to worry eBay or any of the other online sites, for that matter.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 46 of 50
latest reply

Re: Ebay stock is down 3 1/2%, much more than analyst expected,,,,and guess why?

@felifoll wrote:

@lemarcheaupuces wrote:

@rixstuff wrote:

Imagine this:  You are holding 100 pennies in your hand and you drop 3 of them.  Do you really notice? Not really.  I read that report too and given how many TENS OF MILLIONS of people buy on Ebay EVERY DAY, Im not that worried.

i am not worried either.

i don't understand such thread.

sounds some are saying that Amazon is sooo much better.

well i read long ago an Amazon seller saying;

"most Ebay sellers wouldn't make it is on Amazon".

i have always heard that selling on Amazon is more expensive and a lot harder.

then why compare Ebay to Amazon?

to me it is like comparing Walmart (the world largest co by revenue) to lets say Publix or Alberstons.

check the net (wikipedia) seems Amazon does even better than Walmart (as the most valuable retailer).

did Amazon acquire Whole Food Market?

nevertheless Amazon is in its own league (like Walmart).

Nothing comparable to Ebay.

Ebay and Amazon are not comparable because the user experience is so much different. Amazon has very strict seller requirements, ebay has none at all. Amazon's site is simple to find what you are looking for, Ebay's is cluttered and messy. There are not ten zillion rules and policies that you need to learn to buy something on Amazon. You will never get barked at by rude sellers or have your money tied up for weeks when a seller doesn't ship. You don't have to weed through pages of fake items and key word spammed titles. In short, Amazon is a much better experience for buyers than ebay. And it's sad because one company shouldn't control such a large portion of the retail market, but they are successful because they treat their customers well. Before Amazon, Ebay was the only place on the internet where you could buy absolutely everything, so buyers would tolerate the numerous unpleasantries of shopping here. They don't have to anymore. 

you hatred for Ebay clearly clouds your statement.

i stand by my earlier reply.

an Amazon seller once said;

most Ebay sellers wouldn't make it on Amazon (selling rules and policies way more stringent).

Amazon it not for everyone.

the last time i checked Amazon didn't have Antiques & Collectibles categories.

even if it changed i am so spread out (and doing well) that i have no use for another venue.

20 years of selling online and off line and never encountered the issues you seem to have experienced.

i was amazed at how buying and selling was.

got my first laptop (ever) to just sell on ebay.

99.99% of my buyers and sellers have been awesome.

zillions of rules to buy on ebay?

i have no clue what you mean.

i surely never had to learn any.

i bid, i pay, i get my purchase.

in 20 years i have never dealt with a rude seller or had my money tied up for weeks.

i am an avid buyer.

yes there is a lot of junk listed.

but it is like shopping in a thrift shop or going to yardsales.

i am always looking to score and it takes a lot of viewing to do so.

see i have no use for Amazon period.

nothing personal.

in 20 years i have only bought 1 book.

a book that my aunt couldn't find in France.

not sure why i even bought it there.

probably could have bought it on ebay.

as for everything else?

i love to shop.

i love going to malls.

i love to go to Barnes & Noble, buy my colognes at Macys...

i don't get the same thrill and high shopping online.

Amazon is in its on league.

NO comparison what so ever with ebay.

the last time i heard Amazon was trying to acquire Whole Food Market.

Amazon is a giant like Walmart...

\

letoulousain
Message 47 of 50
latest reply

@rixstuff wrote:

You still cant sell MOST second hand items over on Amazon.  You cant sell anything newer than 20 years old unless you made it yourself on Etsy.  Poshmark is ONLY clothes and makeup.  Ebay is just generally best for everything.  Anything you would throw out on a table at a yard sale, craft show, flea market, dollar store, or boutique you can sell here.

and again you nailed it...

letoulousain
Message 48 of 50
latest reply

Ebay stock is down 3 1/2%, much more than analyst expected,,,,and guess why?

Oct 18th Close: $37.97

Oct 20th Close: $37.61

Ebay stock is now down just 0.95% from Wednesday, and guess why?

Because although GMV was up, revenue was up, net income was up, and earnings per share were up ... EPS was not up quite as much as analysts wanted

In other words ... eBay grew and was profitable, but just not quite as much as expected. 

I don't think it had anything at all to do with "eBay's new format". 

Message 49 of 50
latest reply

@plumbingspecials wrote:

Why? Because sellers are fleeing. Ebay wants us to bend over bakwards for buyers, instead of making it a fair marketplace. But if WE'RE not making a profit, neither will eBay! And THAT'S why.

I don't think so. There are about 30 million sellers here! More sellers than there used to be listings, when this was a GREAT site and your listings could easily be found and sales were brisk! It's because there are TOO MANY sellers, that ppl complain about a lack of sales. Buyers only have so much money to go around.  Thay can only view so many listings. Even if 10% of the sellers left and weren't replaced, that would still make 27 million sellers!

I'd sure like to know what all these ppl would be doing to make a living if it wasn't for ebay and what they were doing before it came along.  People made a living just fine before ebay in 1995, if one quit another job to start up on ebay and used to be doing fine, don't blame ebay, blame all the other sellers who oversaturated the market and jumped on the bandwagon! Those who thought this was an easy path, quit jobs or just didn't bother to look. Like those who think the Goodwill and other thrift Stores are supposed to be their wholesaler. Those stores don't owe you a living, unless you work there. They need to do what they can to make the most money to be able to exist. Just like ebay sellers do the same, trying to squeeze every nickel they can, just like ebay does to the sellers in fees.

Even with ebay making it harder to be a TRS and keep it, that still hasn't stopped sellers from pouring in or sticking around. One thing ebay doesn't have is a shortage of sellers!!

Message 50 of 50
latest reply