cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay search question

So im looking for a fuel cap on Ebay. I put the part # AM142833 in the Ebay search bar. It came up with 64 results. But only 3 were a fuel cap with that part #.  The other 61 results were NOT a fuel cap and they did NOT have the part # AM142833 anywhere in their titles. My question is: why were the other 61 results even shown to me ?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Ebay search question

Out of my own curiosity......why not put fuel cap along with the part #?  Fuel cap AM142833...   I see parts people often expect the # only to return the item.......yet my inclination is one would have better results adding the "name" of the item. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Ebay search question

You were shown the other results because somewhere in the listing that number might be part of another number or the two words "fuel" and "cap" pulled up some listings with one or both words in them. 

Searching using gas cap with that number, the results was for a John Deere Gator gas cap. You might want to use gas cap instead of fuel cap. Betting most would call it a gas cap even it was for a diesel fueled unit. 

Often you need to be pretty specific when searching to narrow down the results. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Ebay search question

I just searched for "AM142833" with the quotes and found only 3 listings.

Posting ID
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Ebay search question

The accumulation of random numbers on any pages with AM on it will result in skewed searches...

Why would you not put fuel cap in with the part number?

!ebay-fuel-cap.jpg

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Ebay search question

I did a keyword search for "AM142833" without the quotes in any category, and I see 4 results (one sponsored duplicate) for a John Deere fuel cap, and one result for a door handle for a Pontiac Grand Am with the inventory number 142833 in the title. All of these results make sense to me.

You shouldn't count the additional results below, that are only shown when a search produces only a few results, and this list is clearly labeled "Results matching fewer words".

lacemaker3_2-1702140625235.png

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Ebay search question

People often use a part number only.... It is computer disk for what the past actually is. What search is the biggest laying stock of the Internet. Here are the perfectly accurate results for Google:

1000018522.jpg

1000018521.jpg

 here are the amazingly dead on results from bing:

1000018516.jpg

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Ebay search question

And for the grand finale, here are eBay search results lol! Not even a gas cap! Just substitutes for offer post numbers even though we ALL know the correct gas gap is sold on eBay!

1000018518.jpg

1000018519.jpg

1000018520.jpg

 there are simply no words got how ridiculous it is that eBay search cannot find any of  the items we sell on eBay. Its practically criminal at this point.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Ebay search question

Sorry for all the autocorrected wrong words in the above post! I did those on my phone instead of a computer- wave of the future lol. Hopefully it still reads ok.... It was past the time to correct when I noticed. 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply