cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay’s pathetic performance! We are paying for for a sub-standard product.

I received a eBay message today with an offer of $2900 for a pair of High-end audiophile Speakers which have a BIN price of $4200.  The Speakers have been listed for 3 weeks and this is the first offer notification I have received, at least so I thought!

While on my “Review Offer” page for the listing I noticed that I had actually received 9 previous offers for the Speakers with the lowest offer being $3879 and the top 3 being $4150 or only $50 below my asking price.

I am absolutely livid!  I received NO notifications of the previous offers and just to assure I wasn’t losing my mind I checked my messages.  There were NO notifications!  This not only prevented me from completing a sale, it also damages my credibility with all of those Buyers who made fair offers and then were ignored because I wasn’t aware of the offer!

This is absolutely ridiculous!  At the very least eBay should reactivate each of those offers and if I am unable to sell the Speakers for the highest offer of $4150 they should reimburse me for the difference between what I now have to accept and $4150.

I encourage each Seller with Best Offer listings to check each one carefully.  EBay has screwed us all over royally! 

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Ebay’s pathetic performance! We are paying for for a sub-standard product.

Do you maybe have your auto reject set up?

Message 2 of 34
latest reply

Sorry this happened. I’m not sure what happened nor do I have any solutions. I get notifications as soon as they happen. I would be interested in what and how this happed. 

Message 3 of 34
latest reply

Could you message the offering buyer from before & explain you didn't receive their offer until now, ask if they're still interested?

I might at least try that..

Sorry.. what a hot mess. 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 4 of 34
latest reply

Sounds like you may have your "reject offers less than ________" engaged... I always immediately get offer notifications above my reject threshold, and below my "automatically accept offers of at least ________". If this is not the case, definitely contact Ebay.

Once again, don't automatically blame and rip into Ebay unless it is proven that some anomaly actually is their fault.

Cheers, Duffy

Message 5 of 34
latest reply

If his listing is set to reject offers at $4100, how did the $2900 offer get through?

You don't HAVE to accept the $2900 offer.   Just add a note in the description to have them send you an email through eBay as sometimes the system doesn't send offer notices.  

Message 6 of 34
latest reply

I don't get best offer notifications, emails, or eBay messages on PC. I researched this a while ago and couldn't find a solution, so I set up notifications on the eBay app for iPhone and it works fine doing it that way.

From what I could tell, it seems this has been a "known issue" since 2018, which kind of blows my mind (only because it directly affects eBay's pocket).

Message 7 of 34
latest reply

No, that’s the problem! I don’t have a minimum offer set up.  That’s why this is so egregious!

Message 8 of 34
latest reply

No I can’t.  Because of eBay’s ridiculous policies, once an offer is allowed to expire the potential Buyer’s ID is no longer visible!  Since, I was never informed of the offers they of course all expired.

What a great system, huh?

Message 9 of 34
latest reply

1. Do you really think I wouldn’t have checked my listing for auto-reject of offers prior to posting this issue?  

2.  How do you think a $2900 Offer got through but 9 higher offers didn’t?

My listing is set up to review any offers that arrive.  That’s not the problem.  The problem is exactly as I outlined it.  I was never messaged that ANY offers came in!

In the future perhaps you should restrict  yourself to cheerleading for eBay because your analysis and advice isn’t helpful at all.

Message 10 of 34
latest reply

You’ve missed the point entirely.  I don’t have auto-reject set up on the listing!  The problem is that I was never informed of any offers until the $2900 offer came in yesterday!

I realize I don’t have to accept ANY offer, $2900 or otherwise.  Adding something to the description would be worthless.  EBay buyers rarely read entire descriptions.  What eBay Buyers do expect however is that when they place an offer on an item the Seller will be notified they did so.  I received NO notifications!  That’s the problem!

Message 11 of 34
latest reply

I can’t comment on the PC angle.  I do everything by IPad or Phone.  I can tell you however that in my 17 years on eBay I’ve received notifications every single time a Best Offer was placed on one of my items, until recently.

Also after noticing this issue on my Speaker listing I checked the only other BIN listing I have up and the same issue has occurred!  In this case, I’ve had an item up for $149.99 for about a month now and I even lowered the price last week to $129.99.  Then I find out yesterday I’ve had 12 offers on the item with 5 of them over the current price of $129.99!  Can you imagine what those potential Buyers think if they assume I rejected their offers of $139.99 only to now price it at $129.99.  Makes me look like a buffoon and I don’t appreciate it,  much less the fact I’ve lost out on the sale multiple times!

I can’t tell you how **bleep** I am!

Message 12 of 34
latest reply

@ucantfindme wrote:

1. Do you really think I wouldn’t have checked my listing for auto-reject of offers prior to posting this issue?  

2.  How do you think a $2900 Offer got through but 9 higher offers didn’t?

My listing is set up to review any offers that arrive.  That’s not the problem.  The problem is exactly as I outlined it.  I was never messaged that ANY offers came in!

In the future perhaps you should restrict  yourself to cheerleading for eBay because your analysis and advice isn’t helpful at all.

You came here for help and are now heaping abuse on those who have tried to help you.

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

I had that happen to me as well.

It's the "notification threshold setting" in the offers section of the listing that is doing this.  It says something like "notify me on offers above _________. "

Ebay auto-fills this field with a high value, but you can change it . It should have notified you about the $50 less than asking price offer, though.

Message 14 of 34
latest reply

Are they possibly (unaccepted) offers that you've sent to Watchers?

Message 15 of 34
latest reply