cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay please fix the unpaid item issue

over the last couple of weeks, I "sold" 2 items and the "buyer" never bothered to pay - or contact me in any way. Sure, I can go to the unpaid items process, wait 4 or so days and don't need to pay Ebay. But still, a huge waste of time and effort. Why can Ebay not fix that? Simply require from the bidder a funded PayPal account (or other form of verified payment) and as soon as the auction ends, money gets transferred. While this will not stop all these bidders that have really no intention of buying, it will make it a lot harder for these fake bidders.

Also, Ebay says the non-paying buyer will get a strike against their account. What exactly does that mean? I just checked the account of one of my "buyers" and it still shows with 100% positive reviews. How will others know this guy/gal didn't pay for at least one auction?

regards

FSY

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@fsteiner wrote:

Also, Ebay says the non-paying buyer will get a strike against their account. What exactly does that mean? I just checked the account of one of my "buyers" and it still shows with 100% positive reviews. How will others know this guy/gal didn't pay for at least one auction?

A seller can block buyers that have so many unpaid orders.

Since buyers can only get positive feedback, they will always show 100%, no matter how many bad transactions they have.

Have a great day.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Unpaid item works fine if you use it.

Sometimes people forget or the winning email goes to the junk folder.

If you force buyers to pay and then the seller ships the next thing to happen is buyer requests a return.

Seller is out shipping fees, most likely the item and as of May PayPal will not refund their fees from the original sale.

The “strike” they get has nothing to do with feedback. All buyers have 100% feedback.

Most sellers have their account set up the if a buyer has 2 nonpayments in 12 months they can not buy or bid.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

You can't see how many strikes a buyer has, but you can block buyers with 2 unpaid strikes. Yes the seller still gets the hassle but if cases are not opened the bums won't get strikes. I set mine for 2 days automatic and eBay takes care of it.

I remember when if you asked Alexa to change the channel, she had to go to the TV and turn the knob. ~ iowa_east_coast
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Most buyers won't allow immediate payment to happen as you outline.  Sorry.

All buyers have 100% as they cannot get negatives.  The strike is not seen, but it automatically activates the block that most sellers use which can block those with just two of those strikes in a year from bidding or buying.

You might want to set that block.  You can also consider listing fixed price, IPR.  Immediate payment required means the buyer hasn't bought unless he has paid and your listing stays active.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@fsteiner wrote:

over the last couple of weeks, I "sold" 2 items and the "buyer" never bothered to pay - or contact me in any way. Sure, I can go to the unpaid items process, wait 4 or so days and don't need to pay Ebay. But still, a huge waste of time and effort. Why can Ebay not fix that? Simply require from the bidder a funded PayPal account (or other form of verified payment) and as soon as the auction ends, money gets transferred. While this will not stop all these bidders that have really no intention of buying, it will make it a lot harder for these fake bidders.

regards

FSY

You have been listing Auctions, non-payers and Auction style listings go hand in hand.

You can list as Fixed Price with Immediate Payment Required and you will never have another non-payer.

So you see, eBay HAS fixed it!

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Yes ... ebay promotes  fake bids or a false  auctions with this volunteer pay policy and no reviews on the unpaid items.  You could say they paid and leave a negative review ... but then you are liable to send the item.  Ebay literally makes money in fees for you to give a review! More and more sellers use buy it now since that is the only way to get ebay to enforce rules of paying.  Airbnb is pulling the same **bleep** ... not collecting on nonpayers!  This is why many people stop using ebay!  Why not use another site for free instead of paying ebay for not doing anything on collections/escrow.  About the only advantage is the 10-25% shipping discounts for prepay shipping labels.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@fsteiner wrote:

regards

FSY

I thought of this idea years ago when I used to still do auctions. I think it will help a lot. It's exactly like how stamps.com charges me. But don't count on ebay/paypal ever doing this. Doesn't matter to me anymore since I only do fixed price immediate payment listings now.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

The last time there were a lot of complaints about non paying buyers (on auctions and offers) ebay decided to "fix it" by dumping some (not all) sellers into what we call forced IPR which did absolutely NOTHING to help non payers on auctions & offers but DID manage to screw up combined shipping requests.

So be careful what you wish for.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply