cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay never favors sellers even though we are the backbone of their business

I'm older and living on a fixed income, money is tight and my one love is antiques and of shopping, finding a treasure is worth a million dollars to me and passing that treasure on. My husband was a professional packer for a moving company for many years. Without getting to lengthy a few years ago we had a dispute from a woman who said the product arrived damaged, I asked for pics and in my disclaimer I state this, I have never heard so many excuses in my life. First, they were professionally packed, then when asked for pictures she stated she doesn't know how to take pics and doesn't know anyone that does, she didn't want to bother to repack them and even though she made these statements, ebay awarded her and I lost $150.00 and got her nasty little negative comments. Later I aquired a Murano Clown, beautiful piece. We went out of our way to pack this, the buyer stated he never opened the package but "could tell" the piece was broken, I took pics as I opened the package, it was ripped open and not only was the piece smashed to pieces but several were missing, I took pics, forward to ebay, I lost another $100.00. I had a 1800's skillet recently that was beautifully and very carefully packed and trust me, a cast iron skillet is NOT easy to break, but I just lost another $150.00 that ebay that extracted from an account they had no business accessing at all. Ebay is brutal to their sellers and we lose, no matter, I have a million horror stories but these are just a few. Their fees are going up to the point of I'm starting to lose money instead of make it, I wish Bonanza would kick up and get their stuff together so we can have a good, honest alternative. What can we all do to stop the mistreatment? Ebay leaves it wide open for buyers to screw us terribly. Tell me, what can we do????? This is abuse of their power and don't get me started on the thieves of Paypal.

Another burning question I have, I can't even understand the people to try to call at ebay, ebay needs a chat like most reputable places use these days since we don't have many people that work for these places that we can understand? Ebay makes it impossible for us defend ourselves when we can't even get our point across, I've been hung up on, etc. Why do we let this happen??? Seriously, what can we do???????????????????????????

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Ebay never favors sellers even though we are the backbone of their business

Hi, 

I’ve been on eBay for 17+ years and it gets keeps getting worse for sellers. eBay must be a “too big to fail” company now and doesn’t have to care.  

View Best Answer in original post

Message 29 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

What can we do?

To be honest - not much.

In a seller / buyer standoff, ebay is going to take the buyer's word pretty much every time.

Since you sell some very fragile items, are you getting insurance on them?

And what excuse did the buyer of the skillet use?

As far as alternative sites, we are not allowed to discuss that here.

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

she didn't want to bother to repack them and even though she made these statements, ebay awarded her

Your shipping says you do not accept returns..

Fine. Your choice.

But it seems eBay is taking you at your word and refunding unhappy buyers without requiring a return.

No Returns does not mean No Refunds.

As I understand it, if you say you don't take returns, you cannot demand them.

I would think changing that option might be useful.

but "could tell" the piece was broken, I took pics as I opened the package, it was ripped open and not only was the piece smashed to pieces but several were missing,

This one was returned?

Frankly, unless the buyer has a fetish for breaking expensive glass, I suspect he did recieve it broken, no matter how he put it in his complaint.

I had a 1800's skillet recently that was beautifully and very carefully packed and trust me, a cast iron skillet is NOT easy to break,

You're right. but I have managed to break (crack) the cast iron chip pot I inherited from my mum.

Since you have no mention of a return here, your No Returns policy worked against you.

It is important to remember that this is business, not personal.

Packing well is important, especially with fragile goods. You already recognize this.

Writing a clear description and taking clear pictures are also helpful.

On the other hand, much of your Terms of Sale is not.

Please keep in mind that I am NOT an expert, nor am I familiar with all the proper terms to be used in describing such items.

This is saying that you are ignorant about the stuff you are selling. This encourages scammers.

However, I describe each item as best and honestly as possible, as well as provide photos for your review (remembering that sometimes a picture can make items look better or worse than they actually are).

Oh dear.

You should sound confident about your item. You wouldn't sell trash. You might mention "professional packer with 20 years experience" might be a useful addendum. 

Ask any questions before you bid or purchase,

Good.

unless otherwise stated, items are sold “as is/as found”.

This is a meaningless term on eBay. EBay does accept 'for parts' on non-working or marginally working machinery.

Describe as if you have no pictures. Picture as if you have no description.

I do not attempt to clean items before selling them, and I leave this up to the new owner.

This tells the customer that they may get dirty items. Not a good selling point.

This can and should be mentioned when the item is treasured for its patina, like older metal objets d'art.

If I make any gross misrepresentation of an item, I will be happy to work with you to find a solution that is satisfactory for  both of us.

Encourages complaining.

I do not assume responsibility for paying for return shipping.

Contradicts eBay policy. The experienced buyer knows this. The newbie may at best go to a Dispute if she has a problem instead of contacting you and working it out. Or she may pass over the item for lack of confidence in the purchase.

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

They gave no reason of the reason of how the skillet was broken, we do professionally pack, husband is a professional mover and packer, I do required pics, and I take them. Frustrating! Yes, I usually do get insured depending on the item. Thank you for quick reply.

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

Sellers are not the backbone of eBay's business.

Without buyers, sellers can post all day long and make no sales

Without sellers, buyers can shop all day long and if it isn't posted, they have nothing to buy.

Buyers and sellers are EQUALLY important.  eBay's "job" is to play match maker between buyer and seller.... And sometime they play divorce attorney.

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

Thing is it's " members" and all members are protected equally. Some things you do here has more protection than others , but every member has the dame protection.

And require all the ohotos you want , ebay doesn't require a photo before return..

Stuff happens , no natter how you pack , best to accept that and returns here.

age is a measure of time , wisdom is the measure of how we used that time
Message 6 of 35
latest reply

From everything I have read over the years, cast iron can have minor imperfections which can cause breakage with temperature fluctuations or with a localized hit. Especially some of the older cast iron. There are threads on here frequently about cast iron frying pans breaking during shipment.

Some go as far as to describe cast iron as somewhat fragile.

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

CRAIGS

Go  back  and re-read  the post  to    sent  to  you by  FEMME.  You ARE making statements  in  your  Listngs  that are encouraging  Scammers   to  buy your items.  You need  to change  that.

Also  Scammers  love to  target higher priced   items  that   are  FRAGILE  so   they  can   easily make Ebay   believe  that these items  probably  were damaged in  shipping.    So  ---for a while   I  think  you  should   try  to  focus  on  tems  that are not fragile.

Also  you  cannot  require  buyers  to  send you  pictures.    That is NOT  an  Ebay  requirement. 

P.S...    I am  sorry  this  has  been happening to  you.Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

Tbh - packing for moving and packing for shipping are two entirely different animals. I've moved many times including between countries and the way I'd pack to move my household is quite a different thing to the way I'd pack an object to be shipped cross country.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

If you do your own packing when you are moving, but a professional packer for a company that packs for the military has to be good, thorough and they can lose money and a state contract, so that being said my items are packed with utmost care and sometimes special measures taken. 

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

As a seller, I'm really disappointed at where we've ended up, but I don't think sellers are the backbone of the business. Yeah, we pay all the fees but the money comes from buyers.

I think whatever backbone was broken is the sense of community and unity between sellers and buyers. I feel like eBay has turned us from allies to adversaries, and gotten in the middle so that instead of talking to each other, we all have to talk only to eBay.

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

ebay knows that we do not like to call, i've never gotten anywhere calling, I can never understand the person I'm speaking to and I also live in an area that get's minimal if at all phone reception but will need to be at the computer. With the money they make at doing very little I would like to see live chat incorporated like most up to date companies are doing. This would not hurt ebay, only enhance our experience as sellers, able to understand whom we are communicating with and join the 21st century. I used to love selling, now I'm looking for alternatives but unfortunately ebay holds the market in the things I deal with. If there was nothing to sell, then no one could buy, so yes, we are the backbone, if everyone quit selling on ebay, what would be left????

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

Ebay will never do live chat in the USA because it's documented. 

Can't have that!

China mega sellers is all they care about, but they still want you to buy here and use Prey Pal.

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

craigscountry wrote:

If you do your own packing when you are moving, but a professional packer for a company that packs for the military has to be good, thorough and they can lose money and a state contract, so that being said my items are packed with utmost care and sometimes special measures taken. 

Not saying your items aren't packed well, but.. you seem to have problems with breakage in some of the things you sell, so it might be a good idea to take another look at what you believe is good packing for shipment.

*Packaging* is sort of a delicate subject, but (having known professional packers for two national moving companies) I will say... there actually IS a difference in how items can be packed and transported safely in cargo trucks and pods, etc. for moving household goods, including glass, pottery, and china, and how much MORE carefully padded and protected items have to be packaged to survive the tumbling and dumping, bumping and dropping boxed items receive during USPS sort center automated handling as they bang along conveyor belts, dump one onto another into giant sorting wheeled baskets, and go careening off onto more belts in all directions.  Big difference in the jostling that packages will be receiving, so... frankly... this "professional quality packing" may or may NOT be sufficient to trust that ALL your fragile items will arrive intact to their buyers.

Message 15 of 35
latest reply