cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay misrepresenting handling time in buyer emails?

Got an odd email from a customer today. 

The thing is,  this is a long running gtc listing with a 3 day handling time. It shows as 3 days in the running listing,  and the purchased item view. 

What could this customer be looking at? 

"The note that accompanied the shipping notification said you ship in one business day after cleared payment. Not a real big deal, but it took you three days. I paid with PayPal immediately after buying so payment cleared instantly. Just saying, if you make a statement, you should really keep to it."
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

@asmc-ind,  Well, I think you're probably right.

I just checked one of my listings.  When I look at the listing like a potential buyer would, it says:  "Delivery in 3 Days."

Hmmm...  Really?

When I look at the settings that are in the actual listing "form," this item is set up for Priority Mail shipping (which eBay has indicated will take 1-3 days).  The item also has a 2 business day handling window.   So, how/why is eBay saying front and center on my listing "Delivery in 3 Days?"

If I require 2 BUSINESS days for handling, and it's virtually impossible for anything to be delivered overnight when sent via regular Priority Mail, and weekends don't count,  how does eBay come up with "Delivery in 3 Days"  and more importantly, why?

Perhaps you buyer saw this same type of into on the listing when they bid/bought.   Or, maybe eBay repeats whatever that same (erroneous) delivery estimate info that appears on the listing in their confirmation messages.  I dunno.   But, at best that info is extremely optimistic and probably in most cases, total fiction that sets up unrealistic expectations on the buyer's side which then bites the seller in the butt.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Sounds to me like he is specifically speaking of the handling time. the delivery window on this listing is rather broad (although I have checked others before, and ebay makes the window sooner and smaller when the package is going to the west coast--we are in chicago--but I digress).

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Evening,

For the past couple of years Ebay has been trying to do everything and anything the buyer wants.

The problem is they are not the seller...so they coat things with candy to entice then the real truth comes out later on...then the do that oooops...back hand zap/smack to the seller and smile to the buyer and says...BAD SELLER.

Reminds me of Hansel & Gretel

Mr C
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

livadia wrote:    I just checked one of my listings.  When I look at the listing like a potential buyer would, it says:  "Delivery in 3 Days."

If I require 2 BUSINESS days for handling, .

how/why is eBay saying front and center on my listing "Delivery in 3 Days?"

When you look at your own listing, you will see eBay's estimated delivery time for a buyer in your own ZIP Code.  When I look at  one of your listings (fixed price, Priority Mail shipping) I see a delivery date next Tuesday.

Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 8.56.47 PM.png

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@asmc-ind wrote:

Got an odd email from a customer today. 

The thing is,  this is a long running gtc listing with a 3 day handling time. It shows as 3 days in the running listing,  and the purchased item view. 

"The note that accompanied the shipping notification said you ship in one business day after cleared payment. Not a real big deal, but it took you three days. I paid with PayPal immediately after buying so payment cleared instantly. Just saying, if you make a statement, you should really keep to it."

Who knows?

Shipping notifications don't generally include anything about handling time since presumably the handling time is over and the item has been shipped.

I suspect your buyer is confused.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Did you print the label days in advance of shipping?  eBay's ship notice makes it look like you shipped immediately.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@partial*eclipse wrote:

livadia wrote:    I just checked one of my listings.  When I look at the listing like a potential buyer would, it says:  "Delivery in 3 Days."

If I require 2 BUSINESS days for handling, .

how/why is eBay saying front and center on my listing "Delivery in 3 Days?"

When you look at your own listing, you will see eBay's estimated delivery time for a buyer in your own ZIP Code.  When I look at  one of your listings (fixed price, Priority Mail shipping) I see a delivery date next Tuesday.

Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 8.56.47 PM.png

@partial*eclips,  I see what you are saying, but that's not what I was referencing or concerned about. And, yes, I know when I look at it, eBay is assuming the package will be sent to my zipcode. Put that aside for a moment....

Above what you posted in your example IN BIG RED LETTERS is a statement that the item will be delivered in three day's time.  (See below.)

eBayShippingExample.jpg

There is no way even if the package was mailed from my zip code today AND sent to someone in my same zipcode that it would arrive in 1 day (taking into account my 2-day handling time for a total of three days) especially if the item was purchased on a Friday, for example.

If a person looks at the "fine print,"   they would see the real scoop -- which doesn't jive with the big red copy that's above it.   One says "Delivery in 3 Days" - the other is equal to 5 days.  

If a prospective buyer only sees/reads the BIG RED PRINT they'll be thinking they have the item in three days which of course they won't.   So, very possible they'll think they were lied to *by the seller* (which of course, the seller had nothing to do with - eBay's the one that made that proclamation.)

If they do see the big red print AND the fine print, they're going to wonder "which is it?" - 3 days or 5? -- which makes it look like the seller is either trying to pull a fast one or he/she hasn't a clue.  

Given all that, I can see why a buyer could have differing expectations and while it's not fair to take the seller to task about it, the buyer doesn't discriminate -- what's on their screen is what they believe the seller said/indicated are the terms of the deal.  When that's not what happens, not surprising the the seller becomes the inadvertent and unfortunate whipping boy. 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@couldabeenworse wrote:

Did you print the label days in advance of shipping?  eBay's ship notice makes it look like you shipped immediately.

This order was shipped the same way as the rest of them.  Picked,  packed,  label printed, package placed on pallet for carrier pickup either the same or next business day,  depending on what time the order was processed. 

Our system confirms orders within about 15 mins of label print. 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Confused or something else...

Agree with you that there is no mention of handling time in a shipping notice - or in the OP's listings, for that matter.

6 days is shipping time for OP's first item from MI to TX...Priority Mail.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Agree with you that there is no mention of handling time in a shipping notice - or in the OP's listings, for that matter.

The Handling Time seems to vanish and reappear with some browsers; usually it appears for me with IE. 

There was a post last week where the OP's listing correctly showed a 3 day handling time with IE and FastnFree with Firefox.  Perhaps there are similar glitches depending on how the buyer is viewing the ship notice.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply