cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay misled me - the buyer never paid

I sold a quite rare video game (eBay item number 174478179421) to the buyer, but haven't been paid. I don't have any hope of receiving my money, I just want to warn fellow eBay users not to trust in somebody only because he or she has a lot of positive feedback. Also don't expect any help or understanding from a huge company like eBay.  I have never ever sold an item before. I was totally inexperienced and naive. That's what the buyer utilized and with eBay's reluctant and misleading communication I became a victim of a fraud. Here is my story, I try to sum it up briefly. Hopefully you will learn from my case.

I advertised my video game, which I wanted to sell. Shortly after the buyer messaged me and we made a deal, he bought the item. I got two emails from PayPal on this day (November 23, 2020). The first notified me that I received money from quick-transactions. Two hours later I got a second email, that an unclaimed payment has been cancelled.

On November 24, 2020, I got a message from eBay. I copy the whole text below (with the typos):
PLEASE CONTAC US TO RECEIVE THE PAYMENT.
Hello Mark,
Buyer is trying to process the payment. Please contact us to help you to remove the hold on your accoun.
Thanks,
eBay

I wrote two answers for this message. I copy the second:

Hi, I'm still waiting for your answer. The buyer paid but I haven't received the payment so far, because there is a hold on my account . What does this mean? When will you transfer my money to my Paypal account? Ebay holds back the money, therefore the buyer is waiting too... Please contact me as soon as possible!

I have never got a reply. Which is in my opinion an unacceptable behaviour from a company which charges quite high fees after transactions. Never mind! I started to search for articles regarding this "account hold".  I sent the following message to the buyer:

No news from Ebay. I sent them two messages without any success (although they wrote me to contact them...). I tried to find a phone number in the Contact menu, no success. However I found some relevant information about my account hold. They write the following in an article: "If you're a new seller who hasn't established a selling record yet, we may put payments from your buyers on hold." I think this has happened in my case, because this is the first time I've sold something. I haven't received the payment, but obviously it's not your fault, so I'll send the game anyway. I'll go to the post tomorrow and inform you.

Meanwhile the buyer was waiting for the item and he kept inquiring about it. So I was stupid and naive enough to send the item without receiving the payment. However, that was partially because of my naivety. It was the first time (and definitely the last) I had sold an item on eBay. I did not get any help or information, eBay simply just did not care to send me a reply to a message they sent me to contact them.

On November 28, 2020, I dispatched the item with a return receipt, so the buyer had to sign a paper to prove that it was delivered. I asked the buyer to send me a message when he gets the item. I got the receipt (which showed that the buyer received the item on December 10, 2020) around Christmas time. The buyer did not notify me. Of course "My eBay Selling Overview" page showed: "Buyer hasn't paid yet".

On January 1, 2021, I asked the buyer to give positive feedback, because I thought eBay would release the hold on my account then. He did that and gave me the following positive feedback: Despite eBay putting a hold on the account, the seller shipped my game. On the same day I wrote to eBay once again to release the hold and transfer the money to my PayPal account. I succeeded this time and I got really quick answers to my messages. I try to summarize the essence of eBay's responses below:

What we suggests is that you try to check on PayPal as to why you still haven't received the payment of the buyer as we can confirm the payment  was completed.

In another message:
Upon checking here on my resource I can see and I can confirm that your funds for the item of ( 9 The Trolls In Crazyland - PAL (Nintendo Entertainment System, 1991)) was already released on your Paypal so you can check the funds on your paypal account or bank statement. I can assure that ebay was already released the funds for the particular item. 

All in all eBay confirmed that

1) the payment was completed,

2) there had been a hold on my account which was released.

With this in mind I thought that the buyer was straight and he transferred the money, which is pending on an eBay or PayPal account. I could not have been more wrong! I inquired about the case at PayPal. Here is their response (at least they always replied, not just occasionally):

I have reviewed your PayPal account and I can see that on 23.11.2020 you have indeed received 2 emails regarding this payment. I can see the first email was the notification that you have received a payment with instructions on how to claim this payment as your email is not confirmed. And the second email is a notification stating that the payment for X $ (I can't post financial information but you can check it)  has been cancelled as it was not claimed. Please note the buyer did send the payment and as your email address was not confirmed the payment has not been claimed and then has been cancelled.

Eventually it turned out that the buyer paid but the payment has been cancelled, so in the end he did not pay. Why did eBay write then that the payment was completed?! It was totally misleading. I was unsuspicious because the buyer was absolutely cooperative to this point. He gave me his PayPal account email address to check things and asked how he could send the money through eBay. Therefore I messaged again to eBay, but it has never been answered (just like the first time). I wrote the following:

Hi,
finally PayPal traced the payment and explained to me what had happened. I copy the relevant part of their message below:
"I have reviewed your PayPal account and I can see that on 23.11.2020 you have indeed received 2 emails regarding this payment. I can see the first email was the notification that you have received a payment with instructions on how to claim this payment as your email is not confirmed. And the second email is a notification stating that the payment for X $ has been cancelled as it was not claimed.

Please note the buyer did send the payment and as your email address was not confirmed the payment has not been claimed and then has been cancelled."

I contacted the buyer, who confirmed that the payment had been refunded to him (which he had not noticed). Now we are looking for a solution. Please tell us, how can he resend the money to me? Or to put it in another way: how can he pay for item #174478179421? By the way my "Selling" account on eBay still indicates the item as: "Waiting for payment."

Without any response - again - I tried to find a solution myself. On January 23, 2021, I sent a payment request to the buyer's email address through my PayPal account. I wrote to him before (on January 19) whether this solution is suitable for him or not. But the buyer has disappeared since January 11, 2021. That is the date of his last message. He has been ignoring my messages since then.

To summarize the case: I sent a valuable item, paid the postage, paid a transaction fee to eBay and acted straight all the time. Now I do not have the game nor the money, but paid for postage and for the "transaction".  What a deal! That's how I became a victim of a fraud. Because of eBay's misleading communication I believed that everything was okay, the buyer paid and I had to wait for my money to be released. Meanwhile I was writing messages to eBay, PayPal (it was a smart idea to outsource PayPal as a separate company, now eBay and PayPal can send the clients back and forth...) and the "buyer", the 60 days passed. I can do nothing more than write my story and warn you: Don't be as naive and stupid as I was.
Message 1 of 40
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I always try to tell people that are new to selling is to start off

by practicing the system by selling 10 or 15 cheap items, that are

worth about 3 or 4 dollars each.   That way you get the hang of

it and you aren't practicing with an expensive rare item.  

Another thing is ebay will not protect you, there is buyer protection, 

but in the long run you have to watch out for scammers yourself.  

View Best Answer in original post

Message 24 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

More succintly.

So I was stupid and naive enough to send the item without receiving the payment.

You had an expensive lesson.

Learn.

There is only one person who needs to take responsibility for your actions.

Message 2 of 40
latest reply

Thank you for your sympathy.

Message 3 of 40
latest reply

Well, I am very sorry you ran into a bad experience on e bay.  

There are a couple simple rules on here.

1.  Never ever list something you cannot afford to give away

2.  Never ship without getting paid.

FOllow these two rules and you will be fine.

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 4 of 40
latest reply

Two hours later I got a second email, that an unclaimed payment has been cancelled.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That email is the only thing that mattered.

You were told the payment had been cancelled.

Message 5 of 40
latest reply

Ebay told you the item was paid for ............because it was.......  Had your payments been set up properly, there would have been no problem...

Had you paid attention to the 2nd email........you wouldn't have sent the item.

I think every seller has sympathy......but as you, yourself,  point out..........you made the mistakes.  Hopefully you did learn from them..... 

Message 6 of 40
latest reply

Did you do texting with the buyer?  It's against eBay policy and the information is provided in the user agreement.  That is a common scam, the buyer then has your email address and sends fake Paypal notices.  

Message 7 of 40
latest reply

The paypal emails were genuine, the buyer did actually pay, but then cancelled the payment.

Message 8 of 40
latest reply

looks like someone stole the product and the money. try to report the buyer if you can. there are lots of scammer on here. I only buy things I never sold anything on here before so I wouldn't fully understand but  it's not your fault that you had no idea how to sell things before. Don't give up on selling things because you had no idea how these things work. Try to believe in yourself more. did the buy had feedback from anyone before? when did the buyer make an account? those questions could be useful.

Message 9 of 40
latest reply

@ambientworld wrote:

Please note the buyer did send the payment and as your email address was not confirmed the payment has not been claimed and then has been cancelled.

From what I can tell, here is what happened:

• you did not set up your PayPal account property;
  • a payment was made by the buyer through eBay in the correct amount for the correct transaction and to the improperly configured PayPal account that you provided;
  • you ignored the message from PayPal about needing to claim the payment;
  • you ignored the message from PayPal about the payment being canceled;
  •  you shipped the item after ignoring the message that the payment was canceled.

eBay gave you the information that PayPal gave to them - that a payment was completed by that buyer in the correct amount for that transaction and sent to the email address that you had provided

Everything before and after that is down to you ignoring messages from PayPal and believing a buyer who was lying to you. eBay is not responsible for you failing to manage your PayPal account. 

Message 10 of 40
latest reply

@pureinnocenthelp wrote:

looks like someone stole the product and the money. try to report the buyer if you can. there are lots of scammer on here. I only buy things I never sold anything on here before so I wouldn't fully understand but  it's not your fault that you had no idea how to sell things before. Don't give up on selling things because you had no idea how these things work. Try to believe in yourself more. did the buy had feedback from anyone before? when did the buyer make an account? those questions could be useful.

That's right. Just because you don't know how to drive an automobile, that should never stop you because you don't know how they work. If you crash into another and cause damage it's not your fault as you never learned how to drive. It's never your own fault, it's always the fault of someone else. Great advice @pureinnocenthelp ....

Message 11 of 40
latest reply

Ebay goes on the premise that when a member signs up to sell, that they know what they are doing. You chose to fly by the seat of your pants. That is your choice, and the consequences then are yours alone. Yes, eBay could probably do more to help new sellers, but that is neither here nor there. Ultimately the responsibility for one’s actions lies with oneself.

Message 12 of 40
latest reply

@ambientworld 

Sounds like you're trying to blame Ebay for your mistake.

The buyer did pay, but you either entered the wrong Pay Pal email in the listing or didn't have something set up right.

Have a great day
Message 13 of 40
latest reply

auctionairecorp
Trailblazer

I truly appreciate your intent to protect others to not have to go thru what you have experienced. 

I also had an experience where I lost $2400.00 from this **bleep** hole company with their "confirmed" this and "verified" that bull**bleep**. eBay would go out of business in a year if it wasn't ripping off its own sellers. Pathetic moral degenerates.

Message 14 of 40
latest reply

@ambientworld wrote:

Thank you for your sympathy.

@ambientworld 

For what it's worth, every seller here has empathy for you . Experience is something we usually get just after  we need it, no?

Message 15 of 40
latest reply